Sub 25 - and beyond!

Comments

• Well Done all parkrunners! image

I was a grand total of 2 seconds quicker  at Wythenshawe on Saturday than I was 4 weeks ago image
    I have always known that I am not really a "morning person" and have decided to give up parkruns as a bad job - although I will first confirm my theory by running a solo 5k time-trial (at a reasonable hour of the day) within the next few weeks...

• Hi Daz, I agree with you about parkruns not being at an ideal time for a fast run. Like you, I'm not a 'morning person' so struggle to get going so early in the day though I am better now than I was went I started doing parkrun early this year.

I was a bit deflated after my last parkrun being best part of a minute off a PB but recently found a website called runbritain.com where your parkrun times and other races are assessed and you can get a handicap score. What is good about this is that for each race/parkrun you enter they take into account the conditions on the day and your performance is assessed not just taking into account your time but the prevailing conditions on the day.

My adjusted best run was the parkrun in September when I set my parkrun PB of 21.01 but my parkrun on Saturday was voted 2nd best due to the challenging conditions. My overall best recent 5K PB of 20.52 was only rated 4th best, 

• right, this is it!
    Preston 10 Mile race on Sunday image
    weather forecast is perfect image
    going for sub-80 image

plan is even pace/increasing effort, so look out for my report of a string of 7:55 miles... image

• Thanks for the encouragement Geoff. Will be starting some structured training in December with my daughter who's a PT, for a 10k race next March so should get the 5K pb before then. With the age-grading taken into account I will be really happy to achieve it. I've been doing parkrun for some time now and only need another 5 runs to reach 100.

• Happy with my 5K time at parkrun today as I shaved 41 seconds off my previous time 3 weeks ago to finish in 28:26. Still some way to go though to get sub 25 but confident I'll get there before my 58th birthday next March image

• Have just checked the parkrun results table and it has me down for 28:10 which means 57 seconds faster than 3 weeks ago.  Aiming for sub 25 again because I was 25:21 this time last year. Haven't dipped below 25 since 2008. 4 years older at my time of life makes a big difference but I will do it!

• Well done Becky. If you managed 25.21 just last year you should be able to go sub 25 again with the right training and providing you stay injury free. I'm sure you're daughter will be able to advise you on what sort of training you should be doing.

I warmed up for my 10K race today with a parkrun yesterday which is probably not the best preparation. Time was 21.32 which is about 30 secs off my parkrun PB but was very muddy and hard work on the grass sections.

Todays 10k race was much better as was 4 laps on the path of a local park with just a short 100m ish section on grass.  Quite pleased with my time of 44.04 which is my best 10K time for a long while.

Doing another 5K race in London (Hyde Park) in a couple of weeks. Hoping to beat my September time of 20.52.  Have a chance as again all on the the paths around Hyde Park with no slippery muddy grass to worry about. 

• Daz's Preston 10M Race Report
    perfect race weather: cool, sunny, no wind
    plan was sub-1:20, so aiming for 7:55ish miles which should start off feeling easy but require increasing effort...
    7:36 - oops!
    7:56
    8:03
    8:19 (slight amount of uphill)
    7:59 for 39:53 at halfway
    8:00
    8:14
    8:14 (oh deary me, couple of dodgy miles, 21 secs over, need a couple of 7:50's to finish, and it's that blasted "uphill" mile coming image )
    8:06 (not bad, but need to finish in 7:30ish image )
    7:32 - held this last mile together remarkably well - this "training" lark really works! - looked down at my watch just after crossing the chip mat (had started it as I crossed the mat at the start) to see 1:20:01 image so anxious wat til official results went up... paged nervously down the results... past 1:20 gun time... there's my name... 1:20:14... chip time... 1:19:59 image

• Well done Daz. That last inspirational mile fixed it for you!

• Thanks Becky, although I really wish I hadn't had to go that fast on the last mile! would've been better to push miles 7 & 8 a bit more to avoid any need for last minute panic stations
    even so, it's still one of the best paced races I've ever run - although I guess we all yearn for that "Perfect Race" don't we...?

• Hows it going in here? Missed running this year, working hard rehabbing my achilles (turned out it wasnt just my calf) and hoping to be back in the new year to running normally then maybe a race by summer.

• Hi Akie! glad to hear you are working your way back - hope it goes well... image

I'm not planning much in the way of speedy interval/5k-type stuff

my next flat exploit will be Wrexham Village Bakery Half Mara in February - it would be cool if I could extend my recent 10M 8min/Miling to achieve a sub-1:45 Half image

I "jogged" the last 2M of today's lunchtime run at 8:35 pace, so looking promising already image

• Hows the fell/hill running being going this year Daz? I'm no longer a member at Wilmslow RC as I've not been running and its a bit far from me in Manchester now so not even been to any of their races this year.

Hope to do a parkrun in the new year

• It's been quantity over quality this year, with about 30 fell/trail events image
    been a bit slow/overweight recently, but have big plans for 2013:
    Sub-1:45 Half Mara
    Bob Graham
    Lakeland Classics Fell Race series completion
    UK Ultra Champs series completion
    so keeping busy... image

• I've heard about the Bob Graham and what a huge undertaking that is, you'll have to keep me informed as to how your preparations go for that!!

• stopped raining with about 90mins daylight left today, so popped out for a few sneaky tempo miles image
    aiming for about 8min/M:
    7:55,8:02
    8:02
    8:10,8:25
    8:01
    8:15
    surprisingly good considering I've not done any of these for about 6 weeks image

• 4M "race-pace-practice" along canal towpath at lunchtime:
    7:50, 7:55, 8:05, 7:45
    not bad following one of my best ever fell-race performances on Sunday

looking good for a sub-1:45 Half-m@r@ next month... image

• four more yesterday: 7:40, 8:00, 8:00, 7:50 - seem to be getting the hang of it, although need to do a couple of longer (8-10-12M) such sessions before race day...

• 4x2M last night:
    7:50,7:55; 7:55,8:00; 8:00,8:00; 8:20,8:15
    last couple bit of a concern - felt strong, but obviously speed fell away slightly
    one last training run on Saturday, then an 8 day taper... image

• DazTheSlugDazTheSlug ✭✭✭

I am having a bit of a re-think re speed-training at the 5k bracket we're talking about here (20-25 mins)...
    bear with...

I've done literally NO speed-work (intervals of 1k or less) of any description for about the last 7 months
    I've done a couple of half-hearted speed sessions recently and they've been surprisingly good (I thought it would take me several weeks to work my way back to anything close to PB form)
    this culminated today in my running a 400m rep which was only 2 secs slower than the PB I set 4 years ago! I didn't even feel like I was trying that hard image

what I HAVE been doing is a LOT of long, slow, hilly miles

I really feel like I could set 1M, 5k, 10k PB's with very little further training...

...watch this space... image

• DazTheSlugDazTheSlug ✭✭✭

did a 5k race last Thursday (Sale Sizzler) and clocked 22:39

that's a bit slower than my PB (21:51) but about 2 mins quicker than the last parkruns I did back in November

it was nicely paced too - no struggling/tailing off towards the end

so I'm now getting giddy and targeting a local evening flat road 5k (Capenhurst) on 21st August for a serious PB attempt...

• Hi Daz, you seem to be keeping this thread going on your own! Good luck with your 5k road race. Would be great if you could get a PB.

Haven't posted here since the end of last year and since then I managed a parkrun PB in May of 20.36 (Nonsuch Park) and went a little quicker still (20.29) on a flat road race.

Have been struggling recently due to the warmer weather. Did the Standard Chartered City 5K road race yesterday and managed to got through 2 miles in 12.57 but badly ran out of steam in the last mile or so and ended up doing 21.28. In warm/hot weather my endurance falls apart.

• I also did that race yesterday Geoff. Went off abit too fast, doing the first mile in 6.17, but managed a new PB of 20:46. Like Daz I have done very little speed work, just upped my weekly mileage doing mostly longer, easy runs.

• Been nearly two years since I trained properly, lots of physio and strengthening of my calves as well as around my fractured right hip means Im hoping to ease myself back in from next month. Very much a wait and see approach but hoping I can finally get back into the swing of things image

• Good luck with the training Sprint.  

Sine I last posted on this thread last summer, I had a good autumn which peaked in November when I set a parkrun PB of 20.19.  Things went downhill somewhat in December/January which was mostly my fault as my weekly mileage dropped somewhat due to the vile weather.

Have recently got back to doing the sort of stuff that worked well for me a few months back (regular speedwork & long runs) and managed a 20.43 parkrun recently.  Doing a 10K race next Sunday so will be interesting to see how that goes.

Hi to all the regular posters on this thread (Daz etc) from the post.  Hope you all have a good year, plenty of PB's and few injuries.

• Get your weight down to a low weight and train harder and you can achieve your fitness goals.

I went from 23 minutes to 18 minutes within 2 years and dropped 20 pounds. Hard work and believe in your self. Switch off negativity and ignore doubters. No more excuses!

For sub 25 minute 5k goal time do more intervals and paced runs that are at or under the targeted 5 minute km pace needed for 25 minute 5k. Lose the weight and increase you weekly training up to 30 miles spread over the week.

• My 5k pb is 24:03, achieved this on Saturday at my local Parkrun.  Really want to get under 24 mins.  Did my first Parkrun in October 2012 and got 26:48 so have got my time down quite a bit.

I've recently upped my weekly running to four runs per week.  Have been doing speed sessions for about 10 months.

My main problem is that I don't believe in myself that I can achieve what I want to.  I need to develop confidence!

• Cheers Geoff!

My first run of 1.5 miles still involved some discomfort in my feet so now more strength work needing as well as massage. But good to see some things never change like me going off nice and fast then realising it was a mistake!! Nice to know I've still got a bit of speed in my legs. 

• Akie! image
    sorry to hear of your troubles, but good that you are starting back in on the running lark - please do keep us informed of your progress...

I don't do so much flat-speed-wise anymore - difficult to combine with my long off-road shenanigans - although I did slightly improve my 10k PB last November at Wesham

I've given up on parkruns, cos I just can't get going properly at that time of the morning

I do still do some occasional kilometre-rep sessions, so all is not completely lost image

but any attempt at a 5k PB will have to be either a solo time-trial or I'll have to wait for one of the summer evening races that suit me so much better...

• Glad to hear you've not changed Daz image

I did the Wesham 10K back in 2011 and its a nice race but not entirely flat so well done on the PB there!!

Im the same for Parkruns to be honest, liked doing them but could never run race pace that earlier in the morning. All my PBs except the half marathon (for obvious reasons) were set in evening races.