The 'NJT Supplies' LIVERSEDGE HALF MARATHON

2»

Comments

• ESES ✭✭✭
    Glad to be of service guys, and glad you all enjoyed it.
  • There were both highs and lows for me with this race. It was the first time I had run a local race and didn't realise in advance how serious everybody would be! I managed to come last, despite beating my pb by twenty minutes! Never mind. Can I just make a plea that the marshalls and sweepers on these runs are sensitive to those bringing up the rear. A bit less packing up of tables as soon as I had passed, looking at watches and comments about how everyone was waiting for me wouldn't have gone amiss. Or are these events just for the people who can run quickly??
  • ESES ✭✭✭
    Annette,
    I am saddened and disturbed by your comments, and will certainly take this up at our next meeting.
    There shouldn’t be any comments passed by any marshal out on the course. Just to defend ourselves a little bit, we did stipulate in the race programme that marshals would be withdrawn after the 2½ hour mark. It is extremely difficult to get marshals especially in the winter months, and we feel that to expect them to stay out on the course for any longer, would result in them not turning up next year. Please bear in mind that most of these people are not attached to the running club and give of their time freely to help us out.
    As to the serious nature of the Race, I suspect that only the top few take the race seriously, afterall it is a Race, but the majority run for themselves, to achieve targets that they set themselves, whether it be to set PB’s or to feel good about themselves. To run 13.1 miles is in itself an achievement, and one that every competitor first to last should feel rightly proud of. You yourself set a PB, and that again is something that you should be proud of, and to do that you must take it seriously.
    I do hope that this experience has not put you off, and that we can look forward to seeing you next year, when you can come along and knock another 20mins off.
  • Annette it doesn't matter whether you came first or last you did it You ran 13 miles which is an achievement.It was the first time I'd ran a race and believe me I got some silly remarks from work colleagues saying I wouldn't do it.At the end of the day we all achieved our aims and should be all proud of ourselves.You will always get people who try to put you down that's life ignore them is what i say and wear the Liversedge tee shirt with pride.Well done Annette.
  • Well said David. Well done Annette and as David says, be proud and wear the shirt with pride. To knock 20 mins off your pb was a smashing achievement. Come back next year!!! Or maybe do the Leeds half in May. Go girl!
  • ESES ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys, those are really positive responses.
  • annette,how long would you want people to wait on the course?just think some marshalls will have help set up the smooth running of the race starting early on sunday morning.which is all done for your benifit.oh yes ,it did say the marshalls shall be with drawn after 2 and a half hours.so for them to be there 30 mins after they said they would is a credit to them.
  • Thanks for the comments. Its nice to hear so much encouragement. I wasn't intending to have a go at the marshalls at all. I'm aware they give their time generously to support these runs. I wasn't aware of the 2 and a half hour rule (although doesn't this prove my point a bit - that the races are set up and geared towards those who can beat that time? After all, if the marshalls had gone home after two and a half hours, I would still be running now!!!). I just wanted to get across how I felt. It wasn't a great feeling anyway to know that I was at the back, and hearing a load of clattering of trestle tables being whipped shut behind me didn't make me feel any better. If they had just waited another minute until I had dissapeared round the corner I would have been none the wiser! I would like to say though that the majority of the marshalls were great and really supportive. I will think twice about doing a local race again though, as the bigger runs seems to be more geared up to providing full support for all participants, no matter how long they take.