Amsterdam 2007

Comments

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Yes, I'm Bristol based. Why?
  • Jules, I am in Bristol myself and had a feeling that Mouse had mentioned "speaking" to you
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Ah! All makes sense now. Mouse and I conducted a very serious experiment into whether people wearing Bristol Half t-shirts are more likely to say 'hello' to other people if they are wearing BH t-shirts rather than standard running gear. Results were inconclusive...

You doing Bristol this year? Can't believe it's only 4 weeks... and my running is going so badly at the moment!!!
  • Mouse reckoned that more people said hello when we ran together than when she was on her own and thought it was more of a "man thing"

Bristol - yes, but it the wrong weekend for my marathon training plan as I'm supposed to do a 20 miler either side of it and that ain't going to happen if I'm going to "race" Bristol. My running seems to be improving on 5k's at least, with a minute coming off over the Bitton 5k series
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Blimey - a minute off a 5K should be a healthy 8+ off a marathon. Good stuff.

I did a 22-miler the weekend before Bath this year and, with a fairly steep taper, was able to race it pretty much flat out. You'd be surprised!
  • This will be my first full marathon so I'm not setting my sights too high - at the moemnt I think a 4.15 will do for me.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    What's your half PB? (Or 5K time, come to that - although much harder to get mara time from 5K)
  • I've been busy training, honest *cough*

I did manage a 19 miler on Sunday, although my overall mileage has been quite low over the past few weeks. I really felt like I was struggling with the heat and with some ill advised hills in the second half (if I do that route again I'm doing it backwards - the first half was dead flat and then it set off up and down hills after 9 miles!), and I felt like I was walking loads but I still averaged about 45 seconds slower than marathon pace, so maybe I ran the first 9 miles too fast? I've done just under 8 this evening, I'm doing 11 on Wednesday and hopefully another long one on Sunday to keep me ticking over.
  • Any other forumites expecting to roll home over 5 hours or once again am i the RW backmarker?
  • SilkTorkSilkTork ✭✭✭
    Hi Canary. I'll be hoping to do it under 6 hours. I'm hoping for 5 hours 30, but just beating 6 hours will be a PB so I'll be pleased and will feel like a proper marathon runner.

At the moment I sort of feel like The Last Man Standing. About a year ago I suggested to several work colleagues that we enter the Amsterdam. I got 8 people excited. We called ourselves The Hungry Rabbits and started training. Our first organised run was the Battersea 10K in Feb. Six of us did that. Three of us signed up for Amsterdam and paid our fees. Gradually as the year has progressed it has whittled down to just me and one other person. But he has had problems with his knee which has held back his training and his morale. He saw a physio and sorted himself out. We entered the Dartford Half. He was running too fast at the start. Slow down - pace yourself I said. He carried on - I held back. I eventually caught up with him 1/2 mile from the finish. Walking. Exhausted. I walked him across the finish line. This Sunday we did a 16 mile training run. He couldn't complete it. Had to phone his wife to pick him up after 12 miles. I don't think he's going to do it.

• SilkTorkSilkTork ✭✭✭
    Chrissie and I have got our accommodation sorted. Chrissie found a good website: http://www.expatriates.com/classifieds/amst/vr/

Just look at those prices!

We've got a roomy one room apartment in The Pipe just behind the Beer Museum.

Beer. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

We actually run past the museum on the route, so it's real handy. And The Pipe is the buzzing, trendy location in 'Dam at the moment.

Also, when considering how to get there, and the best times for flights, etc. We looked at other ways - trains and boats for example.

We decided to go overnight by boat:

http://www.dutchflyer.co.uk/

No awkward flight times. A relaxing overnight cruise in our own cabin. Breakfast on board in the morning. And arrive in 'Dam at 10.00 in the morning with the whole day ahead, but feeling relaxed and refreshed. Brilliant!

We are flying back on the Tuesday because flights are half the price on Tuesday. (Everyone wants to fly back on the Monday so prices are higher - supply and demand). The money we saved was more than the cost of another night in the apartment.

Worth thinking about!
  • Jules, my half PB (or best for the last few years at least) was Amsterdam last year in 1.55 and my 5k is 22.57 so I am being realistic with my hopes for the marathon. Bristol half will be the test of how my training is going
  • Nice easy 8 miles yesterday in 59 mins and 6 this morning in 43 mins.
    hoping to get 15 done tommorow with 10 at race pace. Legs feel like they have plenty of running in them at the minute, the cut in milage over the last couple of months seems to have done them good.

Looks like we're all in for some rough weather this week, wet and windy aparently. I was hoping we had seen the last of the rain!! The rain I dont mind so much its the wind that gets to me.
  • Just had a look at the 5 day forecast, sunny intervals for the weekend so the Lakes might not be too bad for running in. A little bit of mud would be nice tho
  • Not running this but I move to Amsterdam on thursday and the route goes pretty close to my house. How exciting :-) Will certainly be out to cheer on the Brits!
  • Hi all,

Back in training after a couple of weeks lay off to rest and get back to full fitness. Think its done me the world of good as i did 12 miles on sunday which felt good and this morning a quick run round hyde park in the rain before work, winner didn't want to stop but had to start work at 9 boooo...

• DiddsDidds ✭✭✭
    Busy, busy, busy on here! Sounds like some good running going on. Well done all.

Missed another LSR last week. Woke up on Sunday with a trapped nerve in the back of my neck so running out of the question, but eased yesterday so did an interval session last nite - 6x800m with 1:30 recoveries. Tempo run tonite - 8 miles in driving rain and gale force winds - 1:03:36 / average 7:57 per mile. I think I've found my ideal running weather!
  • SilkTork you will annihilate 6 hours i am certain. I started running on October with the goal of completing the edinburgh marathon. I couldnt run for 5 minutes when i started, i roll home almost last in every race i enter (and i still do, 356th/370 in my last one).

My longest pre Edinburgh run was 16 miles and i thought i was going to die. Adrenalin is a wonderful thing, i finished the marathon (and lumped over 15 stone in the process over 26.2 miles) in 5'42"

I am sure you will finish if you are running 16 miles allready. Keep up the great work and dont ever feel like you are doing this alone. I can assure you theres at least one other person who knows he is in for a long day still hammering out the miles.

I'll be happy to beat 5"30 this time around, a sub 5 is my ultimate goal but i very much doubt i will be doing that in Amsterdam.
  • Canary: Positive thoughts and you can do anything
  • SilkTorkSilkTork ✭✭✭
    Thanks Canary. I did 6 hours 4 minutes and 37 seconds in Paris last year. Then 6 hours 15 in Beachy Head (which is a somewhat tougher run!). So I do feel I should be able to get under 6 hours.

However, my running this year has not been as good as last year. I've been slower in every run than last year. Perhaps too much beer. Perhaps I've lost the determination I had for the past two years.

I am going for a PB at Henfield Half this weekend. If I beat 2.19.47 I will be over the moon, and it will do my moral no end of good!
  • SilkTorkSilkTork ✭✭✭
    As part of my determination I am off to Sweatshop tonight to get a new running top and socks and some of that Bodyglide stuff.
  • Silk,

we will probably be running around near each other - This will be my first marathon so am only aiming to finish before my flight home!
  • Accomadation wise, whats everyone booked so far. Ive not sorted anything yet, waiting to see is sister can get me a deal with the Marriot Hotel over there.

Flight wise: Ive booked a KLM flight from Leeds Bradford on the Saturday morning, returning on the Monday evening. £119.

Post race social: Anyone know where we can all meet and get rehydrated?
  • Dave,

I'm booked into the Hem hotel. DOn't know where it is or how good it is, but I'm only there for the Saturday night.

We're flying with KLM from Newcastle on the Saturday morning and coming back on Sunday night
  • SilkTorkSilkTork ✭✭✭
    That sounds like a tight schedule Durham. What time is your flight back?
  • I really need to get on with sorting my accomodation and flights out!! i've been putting it off for ages now due to money issues but i'm figuring its only going to get more expensive and harder to find a hotel in a suitable location the longer i leave it now.

I'm off to ibiza in 3 weeks which is really going to screw up all my training a week of drinking and party... oh how i've changed, at the start of the year this was all i was looking forward to. Now that running has taken over my life, ibiza seems nothing but a chore/obstacle to my training!! :o) going to have to take my trainers with me and hope i'm not to cream crackered to run a little!!!
  • SilkTorkSilkTork ✭✭✭
    I just noticed that you only get a medal if you finish within 6 hours. I like that idea. Better than closing the course and asking runners to stop. And it gives me an extra incentive to push below the 6 hours, but not to worry that I'll be stopped if I go over the six hours.

• DiddsDidds ✭✭✭
    Off work today and tomorrow and looks like I timed it well weatherwise. Up at 6am as usual for LSR - 20 miles in 2:56:51 (average 8:51/mile - actually sub-9mm for all but two of the 20 miles - mile 13 and 15).