Amsterdam 2007

Comments

• SilkTorkSilkTork ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't regard that as "slow"!
  • 10 runners from East Cheshire are booked into the HEM as well I think I asked in earlier thread if anyone had stayed there or knew what it was like i.e. accomodation and proximity to start and finish does anyone know anything???

Re: Training -we did a long one last week approximately 17 miles and then 18 this week and doing 10k at weekend and then going to aim for 20 week after. Just doing normal 6/9's during week.
  • Well, I had an interesting evening. Set off to do a steady 8 miles at mara pace (8 min pace) before going to the pub :-) I got bitten by something on the leg leg at half a mile out, I could feel my leg going a bit tight and then numb around the bite. But I struggled on bravely! Then on the way back on almost the same spot on the road again another bite!! Just next to the first one, I couldn't believe it. Lots of antiseptic when I got back but it's still itchy and a bit sore today. That's a first for me. Bloody dangerous this running malarky.....

• One persons slow is anothers dream eh SilkTork? Your half pb is faster than mine, mines 2"23. Still i have 3 assaults on that coming up in September and i have never really run for a time anyway, i just hope to get around as best as i can.

I joined my local running club Tuesday, died a death doing a 5k on Tuesday (30 minutes, i got a stitch and an odd pain in my tummy - i'll put that down to nerves) but had a great time doing 5 miles today, there were 3-4 running at a pace i was comfy with. Felt odd running with people, i am sure Silk can testify running out the back can be a very lonely experience at times. I wish i had joined months ago now.
  • SilkTorkSilkTork ✭✭✭
    Running at the back is the best place to be. Like the back seat on the school bus or at the back of the class - that's where the cool conversation takes place. The ones up front are just a bit too keen and goody goody!
  • DiddsDidds ✭✭✭
    CanaryYellow - joining a club was the best thing I did a couple of years ago. Still a member but don't go to regular club sessions at the mo as doing my own thing in prep for Amsterdam, but will start going again when all this is over.
  • DiddsDidds ✭✭✭
    CanaryYellow - joining a club was the best thing I did a couple of years ago. Still a member but don't go to regular club sessions at the mo as doing my own thing in prep for Amsterdam, but will start going again when all this is over.
  • Wish I was doing this one now. Did it last year but it being my first marathon I didn't particularly enjoy it at the time. Looking back though it was a good event and would like to go back and do it again in future. Good luck y'all!
  • BeetleBeetle ✭✭✭
    Anyone doing Burnham Beeches tomorrow ? Want to try to use it as a marathon pace run. The hills may put paid to that.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Yes, doing Burnham. Aiming for 1.30-1.32 as a MP training run. Delighted to see that the rain is supposed to re-start at 10am tomorrow... ;-)
  • Hi Guys & Gals,

I'm new to this board, but have been reading with interest over the past few weeks - well done to all on the training so far. I did my first ever 20 miler yesterday, it was certainly one of those runs that made me think I could actually run a marathon! I got round in 2.45 but could hardly walk at the end, and even 1.15 for that final 10k would have been a push so i'm still think the golden 4h mark is going to be a push for me.

Do people think I would be better off going round at 9min miles to try and dip in under 4hrs, or go at 8.30 for the first 20 miles to give me a bit of contingency should i need to stop to stretch etc??

good luck guys - not long now!!

I can't wait for that first Beer in Amsterdam on the Sunday night....

• DiddsDidds ✭✭✭
    DL2 - 2:45 for 20 miles is FAST! You should have no problem at all getting in under 4 hours. Have you run a Marathon before? As for pacing, I am aiming for 9mm which should bring me home in c.3:56, rather than going off too fast and burning out.
  • Hi Didds, Thanks for reply... This is my first marathon although i've done a fair few 1/2's and I've been training fairly consistently for 6 months. I hear what you are saying about not going out to fast, I just think that only giving myself 4 minutes contingency to get under sub 4 would be a bit risky... I know i shouldn't really even be thinking about 4 hrs as it's my first one & I should just enjoy it - but now i know it is a mildly realistic possibility I can't get it out of my mind....
  • DiddsDidds ✭✭✭
    DL2 - if you are following a training programme, you should have a few more LSRs to go before Amsterdam, so I would use those as pacing tests - perhaps do one at 9mm from the start and see how you get on, and another at 8:30mm from the start and see how you feel when you get to 20 miles. I did another LSR this morning - 18 miles in 2:32:12 which was 8:27mm pace. Not sure I could have managed another 8.2 miles at that pace, which shows just how fast you did your 20 miles in.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    DL2 - it's often said that a marathon really starts at 20 miles. You're most likely to crash and burn if you build up a big cushion. As I understand it (lay person's perspective!) it's because if you go too fast too soon you will use too much glycogen because the fast pace means your body cannot utilise fat efficiently as an energy source. This means you will hit the wall, big-style. This is not just a case of slowing by 10 seconds per mile or so, it's real brakes on, wanting to stop, slowing by a minute per mile or more.

I tend to be seen as a 'strong' finisher, in that I'm usually overtaking people in the last few miles, but even I tend to run the second half of a marathon a minute or so slower than the first half (in my huge experience of 4 to date!). I run relatively conservatively. The one time I pushed the pace too much 'early' on (i.e. around 14/15 miles rather than 18-20+) I struggled from mile 22 onwards.

In terms of time targets, 4 hours is a realistic time for a first-timer (I did my first half in 3.28, but I had already run 1.32 for a half) provided you pace it sensibly. By all means go through half way in 1.59, possibly 1.58, but no faster. I think that means the short answer to your question is: 9 m/m; the time to lift the pace is at 20 miles, not before!

Good luck!

PS - Burnham Beeches done in 1.31 as a MP training run. Means sub-3 may just be on the cards at Amsterdam as BB is 'undulating'. Will do an all out effort at Bristol half (9/9) and then take a decision.
  • Just back from the Lakes. Did 20 miles in 2:55 yesterday morning on a mixture of grass, trail and fell. Really had to hold back the pace, which was tough, as I was going for time on the road, not a decent paced run. There were a couple of occasions on the flatter parts I had to check my pace from 6:30mm down to 7:30, which was tough and frustrating. But felt really good. I havent run that far since the Windemrmere marathon and I still have every confidence of a sub 3 finish.
  • BeetleBeetle ✭✭✭
    Well done Jools B. 1`31 on that course, at training run, pace bodes well for Amsterdam. Presumably you ran it after a full week`s training. Another 5-6 weeks hard training and a taper must make sub-3 be a realistic target.

In spite of the hills I thought it was a lovely course and running conditions were perfect.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Correct Beetle, no taper (and not an all-out effort). Agree conditions were pretty good. None of the hills individually is particularly bad, so it's a fast-ish course but not natural PB material! And it is pretty. Not sure I'd want to run it in blazing heat, mind!

How did you get on?
  • BeetleBeetle ✭✭✭
    Ok. Ran the 1st half at goal m.p. & then accelerated a bit. Came in @ 1`21`xx feeling fairly comfortable.
    Agree about the hills. Found them fine apart from the very last one. There were also quite a few long flat/slightly downhill stretches where it was possible to pick up time.
    Thought I might do another 1/2M in a few weeks and race it with a view to gauging m.p. Grunty Fen in Ely looks fun. Very flat and supposed to be fast - provided the fenland winds aren`t blowing.
  • BeetleBeetle ✭✭✭
    DL2 agree with Jools B on pacing.

Start at 9 min/mi - if feeling good @ 13 miles then stick at 9 min/mi; if feeling good @ 18 mile stick at 9 min/mi pace; if still feeling good at 21-22 then increase the pace, but not before.

If your long runs over the next few weeks show a significant increase in pace, it might be worth staring slightly faster (10-15 secs/mile ?) but I think you`re better off just concentrating on breaking 4 hours, which (subject to the Marathon Gods) you`re obviously capable of doing.
  • Did an 18 mile run yesterday in 3image4. Was generally ok apart from the last mile which took 12.31 - the wall. Legs seem ok today. 

Don't forget the course will be marked in KMs

• Hi Dl,

some sage advice here, I think, on pacing - remember there'll always be another!  I did Amsterdam last year as my first, really didn't know what I could do, didn't follow a set training plan (!) though was fairly fit.  Hadn't done the long runs.  When in Amsterdam I met several people who were quick and that made me change my mind from "aim for under 3:40, try to beat Dad's time of 3:48" to "maybe I can go under 3:30".  Don't want to bore anyone, but you can pretty much see me hit the wall in my 5k splits;

5 kilometer27:22 (27:22) 10 kilometer52:29 (25image7) 15 kilometer1:16:38 (24image9) 20 kilometer1:40:36 (23:58) Halve marathon1:46:19 25 kilometer2image6image6 (25:30) 30 kilometer2:32:54 (26:48) 35 kilometer3image5image4 (32:10) 40 kilometer3:42:47 (37:43)

So I was accelerating up to halfway - even perhaps a little beyond, then losing it a bit ...- and then the wheels came off.  I was still able to nurse myself over to get comfortably (well, a couple of minutes) inside 4 hours, but as an approach - get lots of minutes in the bank then limp home - I don't recommend it - it hurt!

Following that experience I followed a proper training plan and did 3:22 at Edinburgh.

• Hi all,

Thanks for the fantastic advice, it's really helpful. I do agree with you all and certainly will not be going hell for leather in the first 20 miles. I suppose what i need to understand is the difference my body will feel in the last 6 miles between having gone 8 1/2 v. 9mm's. I sometimes actually feel uncomfortable when i try to run slower, but i have 5 weekends to practice before i do the Windsor 1/2 and I suppose I can use each one to test the difference between the paces...

My biggest issue is that thought of going 9 minute miles and finishing in 4.01, feeling if only i'd just gone 10-20 secs faster per mile.....

Bring it on...

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Good run at BB, Beetle.  You must be aiming for the 2.45 mark then?

David: if you finish in 4.01, it was only 2.5 seconds per mile.  If you get to 20 miles and feel good, you can make that minute up over 6 miles.

• Joolska (aka JoolsB),

You make a very good point! God I am such an amatuer!! he he!!

I'm thinking a I could reasonably break all European Eating records after the event!!

Dave

• BeetleBeetle ✭✭✭
    2`49 - although the Holy Grail would be 2`45. At the moment the training would seem to point to 2`50- 2`52 ish but there`s a good 5 weeks of training to come so with a bit of luck, it should be possible to dip under 2`50. It`s got to that stage of training where I seem to be permanently teetering on the edge of injury so fingers crossed.
  • SilkTorkSilkTork ✭✭✭
    Hey DL2. If you think you're tortured now with your pacing strategy wait until you're in Amsterdam, and you've gone off slightly faster than you intended after listening to all this advice, but you're feeling good. Your mind starts telling you: "You can do this - if you keep at this pace you might even break 3.45 or 3.30!" and then your rational side says: "No, ease off - save your energy for later. You'll regret it later." And that debate carries on in your mind until you hit 20 miles, then all your mind is saying at that point is: "Just keep going - forget the freaking time - just keep going."
  • Dan ADan A ✭✭✭

Hi all, quick question - apologies if it's been addressed on this thread elsewhere.  What is the deal with getting into the right zone (if any) at the start.  Honestly can't remember when I entered whether you had to put an estimated time down, but want to get away to a brisk start.  Is it a case of push in where you like, or is it in pens like at London?

Will be aiming to beat PB of 2.52, so hopeful of somewhere in the 2.45 - 2.50 area.  Beetle, we could be going stride for stride.

• BeetleBeetle ✭✭✭

Dan A - I would welcome that. Always helps to have a distraction !

I would imagine you are assigned a pen at registration. Perhaps you can persuade the characters at registration to move you ?

It`s a much smaller marathon than some of the big city races so they ought to be more flexible. 

Silk Tork`s description of the marathon mindset as the race evolves is spot on ! 

• Morning all,

some great advice for DL2 from everyone.

Agreed on all - I did my first marathon in Paris this year, and even though the heat was at 30 degrees (not good for a white boy whos been running in the Derbyshire Dales), I set off trying to catch the 3:45 ballons after being stuck behind the 4image0 ones.

All my training had told me that 3:45 was manageable, but the chase to catch the 3:45 pack and the blistering heat put paid to that.  I managed to get in at 3:56, but I can honestly say the last six miles were hell.

Keeping your enthusiam in check until 20 miles seems great advice to me, and something I'll be doing in Amsterdam.

Managed an 18 miler at the weekend, very hilly track and took a bit too much out of me, so a few days rest and then back into it on Wednesday.

J