Options

Amsterdam 2007

Comments

• Options

SilkTork - You are spot on, pretty much every run I do including my 20 miles on saturday goes like this.

0-20% - Easing out those aches & pains, god this is going to take ages - I wish I could go out on the town rather than get up early to go running...

20-80% - getting into stride, I reckon i'll easily crack 4hrs at the marathon, in-fact I reckon i'll do 3.50

80-100% - I simply don't care what time I get, I just want to sit down, I hate running f'king sh!t sport, never again etc etc....

Afterwards - could I have pushed myself harder, mmm

• Options
    NjordNjord ✭✭✭

Dan - if the organisation is similar to last year's, and if my memory serves me right, then you'll be given a coloured wristband at registration (like the Lucosade pace-bands) that correspond to a start pen based on your anticipated finish-time.  The start-pens are enclosed by steel crowd-barriers, with a steward guarding a single entry-point.  Not impossible to circumvent these controls, but not straight-forward either. 

I think I put down 2:55 as a predicted time last year, and got allocated pen B.  Pen A runners seemed to be the elites (around 30-40 runners - most African-looking - who entered the stadium en masse around 5 minutes before the start).  The front of pen B was only 2 or 3 rows back from the start, and I think it took me around 10 seconds to cross the line.  Found my stride a lot quicker than when I've started behind the celebs at the FLM GFA start.

• Options
    DiddsDidds ✭✭✭
    Yikes - pen control sounds like last year's GNR which was really stepped up following the 4 fatalities the year before - was impossible to move up a pen, but that worked out well as there was actually room in the pen to warm-up. No doubt will be the same at this year's GNR, but not doing it this time round.
  • Options
    SilkTorkSilkTork ✭✭✭

I like good zone control. I don't like having to struggle past slow runners who should have started further back. Nor do I like holding up faster runners who should have started further forward and now they're breathing down my neck.

Good zone control with everybody arriving on time and getting into the right zones means the start and the first few miles don't get too messy and stressful.

• Options
    The race seems to be closing in fast now, some good performances and training being achieved by everyone on here. Just finished an 800's interval session. That winds a nightmare today when in open space, found it tough keeping pace up into wind but all in all a good run.
  • Options

Agree with shutterbug - race seems to be getting a lot closer all of a sudden.

Busy weekend for me - 18 miler on Friday evening (felt better than previous weeks SLRs), 18 holes of golf on Saturday (can I count this as a cross-training session!!) and 4 hour hillwalk on Sunday.  Did a 2 x (6x400) speedwork session at the gym at lunchtime yesterday which felt hard towards the end - but then it's supposed to.  Main problem just now is that 11 month daughter now has Hand, Foot and Mouth virus after previously having chickenpox = very disturbed sleep for all over the last few weeks.

Anyone any idea if/when we get sent details of expo/registration? Or is it on the website and I'm looking in the wrong place?

• Options
    DiddsDidds ✭✭✭

Ken - there are details of when the Expo is open on the official website but it took me ages to find them - here you go:

Amsterdam Expo

• Options

I've been a bit up and down through August, but I managed a 17 mile run at just over 9 minute miles last night, without feeling like I was about to die by the end which is an improvement on normal!  I've still not built up the distance I was doing for my last marathon, but I'm starting to feel more comfortable with the concept at least.

My PB is 3:52 at Edinburgh - started with the 3:45 pacers and stuck with them to about 21 miles but couldn't keep it up for the last 5.  My aim this time is to try to get to the end with them (although it may not happen because I've got a slight distraction in that I'm meant to be running New York - slowly - two weeks later and might take it easier to give myself the best chance of getting round that!)

• Options
    Are there pacers at this marathon? I read breifly in RW magazine that there was, but it wasn't a huge mention?
  • Options
    BeetleBeetle ✭✭✭

This from the ING Amstersam website:

"Runner’s World Pacing Team

Magazine Runner’s World will once again provide its Pacing Team to lead competitors in the full and half-marathon to fast finishing times. These experienced runners will set the speed, give advice and help runners through difficult moments. Clearly recognisable, the pacing runners will be distributed across the runners based on their targeted finish times. Registration via www.runnersweb.nl will start at the end of August. Participation in the Runner's World Pacing Team is free.

http://www.amsterdammarathon.nl/uploads/ul_EXT_Runners.jpg

What is the Runner's World Pacing Team?
    Participants in the Runner's World Pacing Team run after pacers (pace-setters). The pacers are experienced marathon and other highly qualified runners who are able to adhere to the smoothest possible running schedule. To get you through difficult moments they occasionally fall back to join the group to give you some encouragement. Not only are they able to run at a smooth and equal pace, they can also give you tips and advice of inestimable value during the run.

The groups of participants are divided over planned target times. Two pacers run along with each group during the marathon. One pacer accompanies the group during the half-marathon. They can be recognized by their clothing and a balloon. The colour of the balloon shows at what rate they are running. The target time is indicated on both the front and back of their yellow reflecting shirts.

Apart from the standard registration fee for the event itself, participation in the Runner's World Pacing Team will cost you nothing.

The target times for the marathon are as follows:

3.15, 3.30, 3.45, 4.00, 4.15 and 4.30 hours
    and for the half marathon:
    1.35, 1.40, 1.45, 1.50, 1.55 and 2.00 hours.

These are the colours with the times that go with them (M = full marathon ; HM = half marathon):
    3.15 hours (M) / 1.35 hours (HM) Red
    3.30 hours (M) / 1.40 hours (HM) Blue
    3.45 hours (M) / 1.45 hours (HM) Purple
    4.00 hours (M) / 1.50 hours (HM) Green
    4.15 hours (M) / 1.55 hours (HM) Orange
    4.30 hours (M) / 2.00 hours (HM) Yellow"
  • Options
    No pacer for me attempting 3 hrs then!
  • Options
    Hi all,

Runners World do a sub 3 at FLM dont they? Seems strange they miss that one off here, maybe as its a smaller race they feel its not necessary.

Just done a 10 mile time trial to see where im at and finished in 67 mins, and feel like im starting to get closer to my pre injury fitness level. I have a half marathon on the 9th so will use that to guage wether sub 3 is on the cards. Hopefully with a few more weeks of good training, fingers crossed I should be close.
  • Options
    BeetleBeetle ✭✭✭
    which half  shutterbug ?
  • Options
    The Grunty Fen half, first time for this race but have heard its a good one. Nice and flat too, so hopefully it will be a fast course.
  • Options

No such look for my next half. I'm doing the Yorkshireman off road, so looking at about 1:45-1:50.

I've had a look at a couple of races that are being run before this. theres a 10k trail over a month before, so I shouldnt have any problems doing that with some effort. Theres a 10 mile, flat, road race about 3 weeks before. I've never raced 10 miles and would like to be looking at 1image5 as a maximum. Would that be a good idea so close to a marathon?

• Options

HI All

Booked my flights and hotel last night. Flying out Friday afternoon from heathrow, returning late monday morning. I'm staying at the Borgmann villa hotel which is on the edge of Vondelpark so not to far from the stadium by the looks of it. 8 weeks to go now, training is going ok although think i need to step things up a bit for the final few weeks, really looking forward to it though.

have a nice bank holiday everyone.

Mark

• Options
    BeetleBeetle ✭✭✭
    Shutterbug - I thought I`d give Grunty Fen a whirl too. Should be a fast course provided there`s no wind.
  • Options

I managed to drag myself out of bed this morning at 7.15 and drag my body around for 17+ miles.

Why do I put my self through this pain I ask myself?

I feel my training is back on course now, after a holiday break. If anyone is interested there is a great 20mile off road event starting on Dunstable Downs, Beds on the 16th of September, I am planning to do it as part of my training schedule. There is also an option of a 10 miler too.

It’s a very friendly, non-competitive event, (if there is such a thing) and refreshments are provided free of charge at the end

Check out the details on the Events page or www.dunstableroadrunners.org

• Options
    DiddsDidds ✭✭✭
    Sheets - LSR for me too this morning - 20 miles, and definitely hotter than the last one I did 10 days ago (same route), but shaved 45 seconds off last time - 2:56image6 (8:48mm). Struggled for last 3 miles, so was pleased with that.
  • Options

Well done didds 

I am hoping to get close to a 20 miler in next weekend if i can, I stuggled a bit this morning with heat towards the end of my run, as I ran out of water at arroud 12miles.

I'll have to take a bigger bottle next time

• Options
    DiddsDidds ✭✭✭
    Sheets - for anything over Half Marathon distance, including training runs, I wear a JJB Sports runners belt that has a 500ml bottle and a zip pocket which is excellent for jelly babies. I carry a lucozade too, so normally get through 1 litre in a long run. Took a few runs to get use to it, but much better than running out of liquid.
  • Options

20 mile LSR for me too on Saturday (did anybody on the thread not do 20 miles at the weekend??) - as with most of my LSRs I did it on a treadmill at the gym watching Sky Sports; all I can say is that Sheff Utd v WBA was such a poor game that watching it was more painful than the last few miles of the marathon. Followed this with a 5 hour (10 mile/700 metres ascent) hillwalk yesterday (carrying my daughter for extra cardio-vascular effort!) to the west of Loch Lomond.

Running the Great Scottish HM on Sunday - so should get  better feel for how the fewer miles of the FIRST regime has improved or worsened performance.

Wishing everyone an injury free week.

• Options
    Its tough to find a run out of the wind out in the fens Beetle, it always seems to be a head wind which ever way you turn. Lets hope its a calm day.

17 miles done yesterday in 2image7 felt pretty hard in places, but I only ran my time trial on friday so still had that in my legs a bit. 20 next weekend hopefully.
  • Options
    Hoping for another 20  miler tomorrow morning. Managed 12 1/4 on Saturday and 5 yesterday just before nightshifts. Did the 12 miler at 6:40 mm's
  • Options
    Dave have you decided on that 10 mile race yet? Would'nt have thought it would do any harm to race it , you'll have 3 weeks of taper after to get ready for the marathon. I've raced up to half marathon during that period before with no ill affects, but if you have any niggles at the time might be worth giving it a miss.

Just about to embark on a slow 10 miler. Feeling a little tired today so decided it would be wise to ease up on the speed for today.
  • Options

No decisions as yet. Its the Ryedal 10 that I'm lookin at. Haven't found it here or on Fetch, but running club has leaflet on it. I'll make a decision after the trail race this weekend.

Just done another 20 miler. 20.21 miles in 2:37. Mixture of road, trail, grass, path, towpath and golf course. Nice and hilly to give the legs a good battering. It would have probably got to 21 miles, but the garmin batteries went about 3/4 mile from home, so I used that as a cool down and stretching walk. I was going to run ir this morning, but opted for a lie in instead.

• Options

Ryedal Run

Found it. Over a month before. Week after Yorkshireman half. I'm very tempted to have a go

• Options
    Evening All Bad news to report, i've had to withdraw from the marathon. Brokedown after 70 mins of a slow run on Sunday with pains that wouldn't go away in my right shin. Pain got worse on Monday and today its just swollen up beyond belief. Went to the physio and even he said he was surprised how red and swollen the front of my shin was. He referred me back to my GP and suggested going for a bone scan as the severity of the swelling was of a worry to him. I've spent the last 3 hours with a bag of frozen peas on my leg think i've now got frostbite!!!! oh well these things are sent to try us. I'll come back fitter and stronger for it (fingers crossed). i've had a similar problem in my other leg earlier in the year so think now this has made me and the professionals understand that maybe there is an issue with my running position/technique and not just my dodgy legs and poor trainersBest of luck to everyone and hopefully next year i'll be able to run.

Mark

• Options
    what happened to my paragraphs?....
  • Options
    oh whilst i'm thinking about it, does anyone know if race entry can be defered until next year or even refunded?