Amsterdam 2007

Comments

• Just had email back from the pacing team

Off to find a Dutch translation image

• Right it looks like it is as last year -  we have our own meeting room and bag storage upstairs in Sporthallen Zuid and walk over to the stadium with our pacers.
  • When is the last date to sign up for the pacers? My stuff hasn't arrived yet so no details known
  • http://www.runnersweb.nl

that should take you to the Dutch Runner World site, if not it is off the Extras page of the ING Marathon website

• No longer running this. Injury has got the better of me and I've decided not to risk it. Flights and hotel cancelled. Thoroughly pi55ed off.

Anyone on Fetch can read the blog as to reason why!

• Good luck everyone - especially to those struggling with various viruses, colds, aches and other assorted ailments. Final relatively easy speed session at lunchtime today was probably my last run before Sunday as we're travelling out on Thursday and I never like running the 2-3 days immediately prior to a big race. Training took a bit of a hit 2 weeks ago with gastric flu which meant some juggling of my last LSR and a 3 week taper becoming a 2 week experiment, but seem to have recovered so setting off to try and hopefully crack 3.30 (although this might well be dependant on how well my 14 month old daughter sleeps in the hotel room on Friday and Sat nights!)
  • BeetleBeetle ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that Dave A. It must be enormously frustrating after months of effort. Is there anything else on the horizon ?
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Bad luck, Dave. You might still be able to get a place for Luton in early December if you think you can recover from the injury in time, I guess?

I've got a tentative green light from the physio. Calf isn't 100% and the final test is 6-8 miles tomorrow (with 2 miles @ MP) and then probably just 2 or 3 miles with a few strides on Friday. Doing the marathon will probably mean that Great South Run the following weekend is a no-go, but I feel I've got to give the marathon a go - too much invested (both time and effort!). Everyone in the office must think I've got a really weak bladder because I'm going to the loo to do some surrepritious stretches about once an hour. It seems to stop things getting too bad!
  • Dave sorry to hear about the injury  having you pull out - all the best if you decide to have a crack at another one before the year is out.

Joolska, best of luck with the injury, I had a simialr level of injury before Paris this year, but with physio, it all turned out to be ok. 

Jase

• No more marathons this year. I've been training for marathons since the start of the year. I did Windermere in May, then after a slight injury, started training for this. I was going to ease up on LSR's after this weekend anyway, then start mara training in the new year again. Next on the horizon is more than likely going to be the District Double (White Peak and Windermere Marathons in the same weekend) then maybe a flat Autumn marathon to get the elusive 3hrs, poss Berlin or maybe a crack at this one. It would have been nice to do it this weekend, with it being only my 2nd marathon and with the form I've been in recently, but obviousley its a no go for a reason. I just don't know the reason yet.

Good luck everyone for the weekend.

• Sorry to hear that you have had to pull out Dave.

Driving back from my mums on saturday I clocked 26 miles from her house on the outskirts of Cardiff to the old Severn Bridge. That brought home how far a marathon is. Gulp.

• Sorry to hear that dave...what a bummer eh!!!

Good luck

• This is my favourite quote i've found so far;

I will persist until I succeed. Always will I take another step. If that is of no avail I will take another, and yet another. In truth, one step at a time is not too difficult.... I know that small attempts, repeated, will complete any undertaking.

Come on!

• Hi all

Good luck to all of you

Really worried at the min as i had started with a sore throat last Monday, then felt better yesterday only to wake up this morning with headache and sneezing, after missing running the Amsterdam marathon last year due to an injury i am really worried that by Sunday I wont feel better, as the training has been going brilliantly and was hoping for around 3.45.

• That's a bastard Dave.

I had to miss the Isle of Wight marathon because Chrissie has a miscarraige. Double whammy. We'd had a long weekend all booked and paid for - same as you.

Daft Chrissie kept insisting we should go anyway. Bless!

Anyway - you have the consulation of watching the Rugby final in a British pub and being able to get pissed!

• Dave sorry to hear news.....good luck with the double...think you are slightly mental but wish you well. Looking for sub 3.30 to qualify for Boston 2009 and quite hopeful. Just want to run heartbreak hill once!
  • Sorry to hear you are dropping out Dave but dont think double one is a good idea maybe should just drop back some. 

Good luck to everyone who is doing it. Had last run tonight about 4 1/2 miles just got home and chilling out with glass of wine might  have short run Sat morning just to check legs out. 

Dont feel ready for marathon but am sure will all come together on the day.

• Sorry to hear you are dropping out Dave but dont think double one is a good idea maybe should just drop back some. 

Good luck to everyone who is doing it. Had last run tonight about 4 1/2 miles just got home and chilling out with glass of wine might  have short run Sat morning just to check legs out. 

Dont feel ready for marathon but am sure will all come together on the day.

• The doubles a great idea!

The injuries my own silly fault. Picked up a slight niggle just prior to my last race and ran on it a few times before deciding I was injured. Could probably have been avoided, but hindsights a flippin' marvelous tool.

Next year I will, amongst other things, go sub 3!

• Big respect...massive training/motivation required..I'll be happy just to sub 3.15 1 more time and GFA a couple of London's
  • Prince - I don't think it's on 'normal' Dutch TV but if you're in a hotel room chances are you'll have some cable sports channels and it'll be on there.

Does anyone want to watch it at a bar?  If so I'll mobilise troops.

Sorry to hear about injuries etc.  Keep well over the next few days, take it easy, eat properly and fingers crossed we'll all be ok.  I fell off a pavement and twisted my ankle on monday but happily it wasn't serious and am now fine image

• An easily paced 5.5 miles from me last night - started out slow (everything feeling tight and sore) - soon managed to settle into a decent pace putting in some easy strides and couple of surges late on - sports massage booked for this evening - shall run again tomorrow and that will be my lot until Sunday.

• last run tonight probably do around 7/8miles then rest up for the big one on Sunday.

• Speed session here last night - felt great.

Out tonight for an easy four miles and that's it - itching to run all the

way to Sunday!

Jase

• Jase

You must be one of the few on here who feels great and is itchng to run!!
  • I know I feel for a lot of the guys and girls out there, and totally empapthise with them, I felt just like that before Paris this year.

• I feel great and I'm itching to run!

I'm not a fast youngster, but I feel very fit and ready.

I do have a niggling back pain  from a strain picked up while carrying a car battery, but that doesn't affect my running. It hurts when I get cold, so I may feel it at the end of the run when I am tired and wet.  But I always carry a poncho ready to put on if I get too cold.

• Time for a roll call:

SilkTork - 7347 - Time: 5.45

• Time for a roll call:

SilkTork - 7347 - Time: 5.45
    Musketeer - 4456 - Time 4.30  - blue GWR vest