Options

Amsterdam 2007

Comments

• Options
    It will probable the nearest one to the finish line, so i can crawl there.
  • Options
    ...probably be...
  • Options
    Weather channel says 11 degrees and cloudy for Sunday, and the fog is only in the morning on Tuesday which is good as we fly back in the evening
  • Options

Beetle          3897   Time 2.48 gold vest dark blue band
    Jools            15035 Time 3.02 Probably Bristol and West Vest (white + red band)
    Shutterbuck 291     Time 3.15ish                                                                                    Sheets TBC             Time 3.20. Naked. or in maroon vest as in my pictue
    Straycelt      5856   Time3.30 Road Runners Club Vest
    Patrunner    16847 Time 4.15 ish
    Musketeer    4456  Time 4.30 blue Great Western Runners vest
    SilkTork        7347   Time 5.45 Same blue top as my picture
    Womble     16469   Timeanything under 5. blue vest with a red and white 'sash' probably with a small womble attached.

YP1 (will update number later) Time 3:45 - 4:00 Purple Kirkstall Harriers vest

• Options

The weather is going to be fantastic: 11-12 celcius. Nice autumn sun. Only a light breeze

PERFECTO! 

• Options

Good luck to everyone. It's going to be  a great race!

Aiming for 3.15-3.30 

• Options

Jools            15035 Time 3.02 Probably Bristol and West Vest (white + red band)
    Shutterbuck 291     Time 3.15ish                                                                                    Sheets TBC             Time 3.20. Naked. or in maroon vest as in my pictue
    Womble     16469   Timeanything under 5. blue vest with a red and white 'sash' probably with a small womble attached.

YP1            15096    Time 3:45 - 4:00 Purple Kirkstall Harriers vest

• Options

Best of luck to everyone running in Amsterdam this weekend.

I'd like to enter the 2008 race and wondered if anyone could remember when registrations opened for this year's event. Was it easy to get a place?

Once again, best of luck to one and all

David

• Options
    DiddsDidds ✭✭✭

Didds             4330 Time 3.50ish Probably purple/white Bexhill Runners vest or long sleeve top

• Options

Didds             4330 Time 3.50ish Probably purple/white Bexhill Runners vest or long sleeve top

DL2      788    Time 3.45-4.15 Black & Yellow top & shorts (fielding a rather large grimace i'd imagine!!)

• Options

don't worry about getting into Amsterdam. It is very easy to get a place.

Just check the website early next year 

• Options

DL2      788    Time 3.45-4.15 Black & Yellow top & shorts (fielding a rather large grimace i'd imagine!!)

Miss Sweden  Time sub 4:30 Red NS Poly vest

Really looking forward to this, but a bit scared too. Have just done my last run- an easy jog, 30 mins

• Options

Good luck to everyone who has posted on here on Sunday! I'm sure whatever happens we will all do ourselves justice & really this is just the graduation day from all the training we have put in over the past months.... Above all, irrespective of PB's etc I hope everyone enjoys the experience as that really is what it's all about!

A good day is one where you wake up in the morning - make each of them count!

Dave

• Options
    BeetleBeetle ✭✭✭

Hello from A`dam.

Weather cool, grey & perfect for running.

Haven`t seen much of the city yet. Off to do the Expo/Regn thing this morning. Loading beginning in earnest.

ps Bad luck if, like me,  you`re staying in the Best Western Delphi. No restaurant. Small, dark dingy room. Cat swinging would have the RSPCA (or its Dutch equiv) down on you in a flash. 

• Options

Wotcha all,

I can't believe its only 48 hours away (and I don't mean the rugby). 

Good luck to all and try to grin through the grimaces. image

WP

Who?

NumberTimeOutfitBeetle38972:48Gold vest dark blue bandJools150353:02Probably Bristol and West vest (white+ red band)Shutterbuck2913:15 ish SheetsTBC3:20Naked or in maroon vest as in my pictureStraycelt58563:30Road Runners Club VestPatrunner168474:15 ish Muskateer44564:30Blue Great Western Runners vestSilkTork73475:45Same blue top as my pictureWomble16469Under 5Blue vest with red & white sash, probably small womble attachedYP1150963:45-4:00Purple Kirkstall Harriers vestDidds43303:50 ishProbably purple/white Bexhill Runners vest or long sleeve topDL27883:45-4:15Black & Yellow top and shorts (fielding a rather large grimace I’d imagine)Miss Sweden Sub 4:30Red NS Poly vestWhiffle Piff2584

4:30-5:00

White shirt, black shorts, red face 
  • Options

Ooh that's wierd,

all formatting gone 

lets try again:

Who?                   Number     Time           OutfitBeetle                   3897           2:48            Gold vest dark blue bandJools                    15035        3:02            Probably Bristol and West vest (white+ red band)Shutterbuck         291             3:15 ish     Sheets                 TBC            3:20            Naked or in maroon vest as in my pictureStraycelt               5856           3:30            Road Runners Club VestPatrunner            16847        4:15 ish     Muskateer           4456           4:30            Blue Great Western Runners vestSilkTork                7347           5:45            Same blue top as my pictureWomble               16469        Under 5     Blue vest with red & white sash, probably small womble attachedYP1                       15096        3:45-4:00   Purple Kirkstall Harriers vestDidds                   4330           3:50 ish     Probably purple/white Bexhill Runners vest or long sleeve topDL2                       788             3:45-4:15   Black & Yellow top and shorts (fielding a rather large grimace I’d imagine)Miss Sweden                          Sub 4:30    Red NS Poly vestWhiffle Piff           2584           4:30 ish     White shirt, black shorts, red face
  • Options

Red NS Poly vestWhiffle Piff           2584           4:30 ish     White shirt, black shorts, red face

Jase (number to follow) Time 3:30-3:45 Black/Orange Shirt, Blue Short - rosy grin.

• Options

PS - huge luck to everyone, and the England Rugby team, oh and Lewis Hamilton.

I'd like thank my mum, my dad, the Mayor... lol etc, etc, etc

• Options

Penultimate run last night - a brisk few miles from the office down to the Thames by Tower Bridge and along the river to Blackfriars and the train home - to a big tub of pasta.

Pilates class at lunchtime today - followed by more pasta. 

Flying out of Gatwick tomorrow morning - spending the afternoon at the Expo - hotel is very near the Vondelpark - planning an early morning jog, shuffle, jog on Sunday before a light breakfast - get various moving parts warmed up and working (not least the all important digestive system).

Good luck to all - I tried adding myself to the list - for any one who's the slightest bit interested:

- Graham "legs in threads" - number 7??? - hoping to finish before it gets dark - sky blue singlet with navy sash (Gravesend RR&AC). 

• Options

Whiffle Piff           2584           4:30 ish     White shirt, black shorts, red face
    Jase (number to follow) Time 3:30-3:45 Black/Orange Shirt, Blue Short - rosy grin.

Graham "legs in threads" - number 7??? - hoping to finish before it gets dark - sky blue singlet with navy sash (Gravesend RR&AC). 

• Options
    DiddsDidds ✭✭✭

YP1- see that u r a Kirkstall Harrier - do you know Eleanor (AKA Tutu Much)?

Quite a contingent of us now. 5.00am start for me tomorrow to catch ferry (subject to French trade union strikes) so early night looms. Have a good day all tomorrow whether ur travelling or already in Amsterdam and c u all on Sunday!

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Looks like I'm the first to report in:

3.04.44 (watch - need to check website!)

The splits tell the story, for those with the patience:
    21.34; 20.38; 21.52; 21.22; 21.43; 21.53; 22.19; 23.21; 10.12

Or the short version is: 1.30.11/1.34.33... 

The calf started to complain at 17K and gave me pretty nasty twinges from then on in.  Realistically, I probably should have bailed out at that point, except it was the middle of bliddy nowhere in suburban south Amsterdam.  I now have a very tight left ITB to go with my b*gg*r*d calf.  I'm minded to take the next two weeks off, doing some strength work instead, and then do a gradual build-up until the New Year, rather than try and achieve much more in 2007. 

In the back of my mind I'd had 3.05 as my basic, must-achieve-this goal.  I guess the main reason I'm gutted is that the wheels fell off so badly as my stride shortened and the pain intensified.  I guess the lack of running in the last few weeks (given I opted to a 2 week taper because my training had already been a bit disrupted) told on the day and endurance was a problem.  C'est la vie.  Sub-3 will come - hopefully at FLM 2008.

Hope everyone else had better days and sorry I didn't manage to catch up with any of you.  I'm always preoccupied beforehand and I was a miserable b*gg*r afterwards!!!!!

• Options

What a fantastic event, I loved the finnish going it to the stadium and finnishing on the track.

although the course was flat I found comming up from the underpass a around 38/39k a real struggle.

finished in 3.22.56 a shinny new PB for me, so very pleased.

I think i will be back again next year as I felt I could have run even faster, I ran out of energy at around 35k. 

I borrowed a freinds GPS for the day and ended up with 27.17miles ?

• Options

Didds - yes I do know her.

Just a quick update from me - I finished in 3:50:35, a PB by about 90 seconds or so, so I was happy with that.  I was with the 3:45 pacers up to about the 35k mark but just couldn't stick with them for the last stretch and really struggled through Vondelpark before managing to break back into a bit of a run for the last 2km or so.

I'm just taking a break in an internet cafe before heading back to the pubs to enjoy a celebratory beer or two before my flight home later tonight.  And at some point I might try to work out what I need to do to get my legs in a fit state to run New York in two weeks time.  No, it's Monday today, make that less than two weeks time...

• Options
    3:09:21 for me, pretty pleased overall.

Ran the first half in 1:32 and suffered in the last 7k but had sub 3:10 in my mind before the race so happy with what I did. Confident I can get close to 3 with a full 16 weeks training behind me (missed 5 weeks at the start with injury) , so time to kick on to the next one.

Hope everyone enjoyed the day as much as me.
  • Options
    WombleWomble ✭✭✭

Well. After naff all training (longest run 13.9 miles, plus two halves since the 50 mile challenge in July) and some cycling to work, my hope for "anything sub-5" seemed fairly realistic. I started out consciously holding back, managed a very comfortable heart rate and plodded off. Somehow I found myself catching up the 4.30 pacers and after a while leaving them behind as they were going too slow! They got their own back after I had a couple of loo stops just after 15 and 20k. Then, for some reason at the half way point I started going faster. Looked at my heart rate and decided I'd better not look again as it had gone up (supporting the going-faster thought). I reckoned on carrying on until the wheels came off. However, the longer it went the more I kept going. Completely confused. Then I started to work out worst case scenarios for what time I might do. It seemed 4.40 was possible even if I ground to a halt. But I didn't. I ran the whole thing and my official time was 4.27.05! I was gobsmacked. There's no way on the non-training I did that that should have happened.

Yes, my legs hurt. I'm hoping they won't hurt quite so much by the time I go to Eastbourne this Friday for the next long run on Saturday.....

I had a lovely weekend with Beanz and the guys from Sinfin - thanks to them all - but especially Beanzy image

• Options
    Hi all.....thoroughly enjoyed start and finish, thought it was a good route though very tight in parts, e.g water stop at half-way. Wanted sub 3.30 to get into Boston and did 3.29.06 so job done. Did not deserve on training done but way off pb by 16 mins so cannot complain. Don't see how this is classed as a top ten marathon as believe that's based on route, friendliness, speed, scenery, crowds. Thought crowd support v.sparse, especially 30-40k marks when compared with Paris, Berlin, NY, Chicago. Any views? Thought it was very, very well organised but don't know if I'd go back now the box is ticked.
  • Options
    3:03 for me. It was a PB by 6 minutes so not a bad days work. Weather was nice and cool so no complaints. I thought the course was good, if a bit tight and congested in parts as others have mentioned. Overall a very good event. The Olympic Stadium was a great place to start and finish.
  • Options

Well managed 4.51.46 and was initially disappointed. Although 4.30 was my target on my recent half marathon  and 10 mile results 4.15 looked possible so went with the 4.15 pacing group. The pace seemed  fine  but I gradually slipped behind them by a couple of miniutes but was still on 4.15 pace -  they were going faster. had to stop for water  and loo break at 27k. The 4.30 group came past me at about 32k and I just couldn't keep up with them. I adopted a walk 1 min of km then run 2  mins walk 1  min and run the rest of the km for the rest of the race. was overtaken by the first HM guys  about half way down Vondel Park. Finished with a "sprint"

Would I do another marathon? Well like most I said "never again" at the finish but after a couple of hours and beers the answer is now "yes" - London if I get in or back to Amsterdam next year