Amsterdam 2007

Comments

• well done straycelt on getting your time for boston.

Good luck.. when is it?

• Just loved the atmosphere in the pubs on Sat. night for the rugger - highlight of the w/e.

The 'thon was ok too.

• DiddsDidds ✭✭✭

Morning all. Back at work in blighty today after long day yesterday - 11 hour journey home, although as I wasn't driving the mini-bus managed to sleep for most of it!

Weather was perfect for me as was the course. Was aiming for 3:49 and felt in the zone from the off. However, Garmin played up from the off due to tall buildings and trees, so gave up with virtual partner plan (8.45mm pace, but staying 50-100 feet ahead), so went to plan B - 8.45 pace band. Was ahead of pace after 3 miles and stayed that way throughout.

5K splits as follows: 5K - 26:00, 10K - 25:47, 15K - 26:55, 20K - 26:25, 25K - 26:53, 30K - 27:10, 35K - 27:30, 40K - 27:57. So, no negative split and did start to slow quite a lot near the end.

YP1 - I caught up with RW 3:45 pacers at about 18K and stayed with them for the next 15K or so, so I must have been running with you. Definitely helped carry me through the middle part of the race. Worst time was at about 21 miles but dug in and started singing along (to myself, not out loud) to my MP3 player. Finish time was 3:46:35 which was average 8:33mm pace. Well pleased. Only previous Marathon was this year's FLM - 4:22:17 due to the heat.

Went with 20 other club mates from Bexhill Runners, 18 of whom ran, from Marathon to Half to 5K. 7 guys (including me) ran the Marathon and 5 of us were sub-4. I was 3rd. One fellow club-mate who is younger (by 7 years) and much stronger than me set off at a hard pace with the club coach (who finished in 3:29) and passed half-way 7 minutes ahead of me but really tailed off and only finished 2:30ish minutes ahead of me, SOOOO... it is all about the pacing! Club coach's son came 18th overall in the Half in 1:14:32.

Next? Now I've cracked sub-4 I am quite happy with that and don't think I'll be doing another Marathon... unless I get an FLM ballot place.

Well done all!

PS: Chinese and beer on Sunday night on the floating restaurant near Central Station was wonderful!

• BeetleBeetle ✭✭✭

Got round in 2`46`19 so a pb. 

For me the level of support was just right. I`m afraid I`m a grumpy old sod who finds the bands, techno music, shouts, cheers bl**dy irritating - especially after the half way point. I thought the support was good - genuine and warm and not too loud but obviously the whole thing is very subjective.

The only thing that didn`t impress was the baggage check-in. Chaotic & disorganised. It really wouldn`t take much to sort it out.

That apart, I thought it was a great event. The course was, for the most part enjoyable, although that the underpass at 38 km was a bit of a b*gger. Conditions were nigh on perfect apart from the breeze coming back up the Amstel.

Was it my imagination or were water stations relatively few and far between ?

The numerous video clips are a nice touch even if the preceding ad.s are a nusisance.

Amsterdam itself was a brilliant city. Blown away by the friendliness of the place & greatly impressed (and humbled) by everyone`s ability to speak perfect English. Had a very jolly Saturday evening in O`Donnell`s - found myself sitting on a table with a bunch of South Africans. A bit packed and I`m not sure why they seemed to have only 2 people behind a bar serving @ 400 customers. Still, a great place to watch the rugby. Thanks you for the recommendation H.

Joolska - don`t get too disheartened. That was a bl**dy amazing run given your problems in the run up to A`dam. You obviously hadn`t recovered from your calf injury and to do 3`04 on the back of that must indicate that you`re good for sub-3. Moreover - all the training you have done over the last few months is still there - just waiting to be built on. Get the calf sorted and you will be in a fantastic position for your next marathon. 

• Swansea Dave.....

Without wanting to hijack this thread I have a quick question. I did Berlin a few weeks ago in 3:10 and am looking to take at least 5 mins off of that, similar to what you've just done (well done by the way, I did Amsterdam last year in 3:19).

Can I ask how your training differed between 3:09 and 3:03? I only averaged just over 3 runs a week for my 3:10, so know an extra run or two will make a difference, but I'd be interested to know of your experience. My long-term goal is sub 3 but I don't think I appreciate yet exactly how much work is involved.

Cheers

Mike
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Thanks, Beetle. It was a PB and I'm starting to realise that I shouldn't really beat myself up about it. Definitely ready for my end of season break and so unlikely to do the Great South Run this weekend as I'd originally planned.

Sounds like you had a great run - congratulations on the stonking PB!

For me the crowd support was a little sparse at times and I'd have preferred either more water stations or bottled water - those tiny cups weren't quite enough for me. Still, the rules only state fluids about once per 5km, and they complied with that - I guess it's easy to get spoilt at FLM with water every single mile.

It sounds like most people achieved their targets - looking at the results there was a pretty good turnout from the UK and some impressive placings to boot. Only thing that surprised me is the lack of depth in the women's field - I was 19th!!!
  • BeetleBeetle ✭✭✭
    Those cups were a complete pain. They don`t hold much too begin with and you can guarantee that 70% of what there is will end up down your shirt front. It`s hard to be precise but I would have thought that my fluid intake was approx half that of FLM.
  • Sheets...same time as London each year. This time will do for next two events.
  • Well done to everyone who got PBs etc.

The photos are strange - you put in your bib number and a what appears to be a random selection come up with your photo somewhere in it.

Joolska you were the first person from Bristol to finish.

• Well done everyone!  Some really good times.  I too managed a pb in the half although I was gutted to 'officially' get a 1.50 as oppose to a 1.49.....Grrrr!  Then again that was on the back of illness and moving and some very heavy travelling and weeks at work.  Am beginning to think a lack of training is the way forward!! Same time splits too so I didn't get tired.

Beetle if I'd have known you guys were in O'Donnells we'd have made it there.  As it was we made it to some bar in Leidseplein....for what it was worth!!

Anyway enjoyed the race.  Loved to be able to watch the first hour of the marathon finishers before we started the half.  If you heard some one randomly shouting for the brits just before the olympic stadium...that was me! The lovely Dutch lady stood next to me said she was impressed I had so many friends image

Anyone back next year?

• Well I had a terrible run- I was aiming for 4.30 and managed 4.48! My IBS kicked in that morning and I had to make 5 loo stops on the course, in the second half. Eew!

Despite that I had a great time and really enjoyed my first marathon. Think i'll be back next year- I have unfinished business....

I agree with the others about the drinks stations. I'm so glad I decided at the last minute to run with a small pack and platypus. Crowd support very good when I needed it most, and seemed really genuine.

• Musketeer - that sounds a bit like my first mara - based on my half times I thought I'd be around 4:20 but struggled on the day and finished with 4:51:26 - hard to believe that little over a year later I've got my PB down to 3:50:35, and I don't feel like I've peaked yet.I think the photos are based on the time you went over the mats, and they show all the photos taken around that time, some of which you're on and some of which you're not on.Didds - I probably did see you, I was sitting just in front of the pacers most of the time as I found it too crowded behind them, so tried to stick just in front and checked every now and then that I wasn't going too fast.Beetle - that underpass got me last year on the half, and it managed it again this year.  One year I'll cope with it (does that sound like I'll be back to do it again?!)I also didn't like those small cups of water, sometimes they seemed to only have a tiny dribble in the bottom, I much prefer a bottle I can hold onto and drink over the space of a couple of miles - that way it doesn't matter so much how far apart the water stations are either.
  • There were paragraph breaks in that when I typed it, honest...
  • Hi everyone - a quick question - does anyone know how you see yourself on the video thing? I can't seem to find it on the website??? And who were the people in Vondelpark taking pictures, they were obviously not the official photographers?

• If you go onto the full version of the results (not the list with just name, overall time and net time, click on your name to get your splits etc), scroll down and there is a link to the videos and the photos, as well as a downloadable certificate.
  • What a great (long) weekend! I got a PB - 5.46.24 - so I'm well chuffed. Amsterdam is a great city - this was our second visit, and we had a great apartment right on one of the canals, so we loved that. The run was flat and pleasant, but when compared to Paris I found a number of things lacking or poorly done and I wouldn't run the marathon here again. The long loop round the Amstel was very attractive, but I did feel out of the city, and to then come back into the city via the industrial estate was very draining. There was no support there apart from a group of 7 Brits who cheered me on. Being a tail ender it can get rather lonely at the back at times, but this race I felt more lonely than most. There were periods when I couldn't see any other runners, there was no support, and I was running through deserted streets of a dreaery business park. Then the route gets back into Amsterdam proper and there are people cheering and I feel good, but - o no! - the Half Marathoners come thundering past - the amount of them increases and I get shoved and jossled because I am going a bit slower. That, when you are tired and concentrating on your own race, is a bit fucking hard to take. I held tight to the race barrier to give people room, but I still got shoved. What moved me (almost to tears at times) was all the people who saw I was a marathoner and cheered me on - I was at that point one of very few left! When I got into the stadium it was blocked by the half marathoners so I had a real struggle to get out. And they had run out of plastic ponchos so I got very chilled. Round by the RunnersWorld stall it got too much and I had a dizzy moment. Thankfully somebody gave me their poncho to keep me warm.

I felt the morning run on the Saturday was an indifferent affair - a marked contrast to the uplifting Paris Breakfast Run where you run in a group behind a band, and through Paris itself, passing the Eiffel Tower. This Amsterdam run was done by yourself along a pretty, but otherwise indifferent boating lake on the outskirts of the city. I could have run along the canals in town by myself and enjoyed it more!

• Just back from an excellent extended weekend - never has so much Guinness been drunk by me on a Sunday night - somewhere between wandering around the city, visiting the art museums and eating huge Argentinian steaks I managed to fit in running a marathon.

My sixth marathon of the year. Because of injury and lack of training since the summer I didn't realistically expect to run  much faster than at London. Was reasonably pleased with 3:41:33. Thought the whole event was excellent - even the chaotic baggage drop and changing area - finishing on that track inside the stadium felt pretty special - would like to return in fitter faster shape next year.

Well done to those who ran PBs - some terrific performances.

Would like to be running Beachy Head next Sunday but turned down the opportunity of a place (which I'm now regretting) - any one running at Luton?

• 3.36 for me - objectively OK given training and recent virus but still no nearer breaking the elusive 3.30. Ended up running with Straycelt for the first 27-28K (congrats on getting your Boston qualifying time) but eventually had to let him go and was passed by the RW 3.30 pacers around the 30K mark. Slowed later and the final 5-6K felt like a slow shuffle as usual!

Thought the organisation and course were OK - early drinks stations were a bit chaotic and the one at halfway on the narrow tow path bordered on the dangerous. Agree with earlier comments about the crowds being generally OK (I'm with those who can't stand the constant noise of large crowds)but the start and finish were excellent.

As for the baggage arrangements - still haven't worked out what they were. I ended up just dumping my bag in the infield and was pretty amazed that it was still there after the race.
  • ST sorry to hear you experience of the marathon was not as enjoyable as most of us, I can understand exactly were you are coming from with regards to the 1/2 marathoners that must have been very frustrating. congrats on your PB and glad you enjoyed the rest of your weekend.

Graham i will be at Luton but i have taken the easy route and opted to run a leg in the relay.

• Wow - I loved Amsterdam. Unlike most of the people on this forum I was a half-marathon virgin only ever doing 10ks before and I have definately got the bug! I managed just under 1hr 49 which I am amazed at, and will definately put next years event in my programme. I'd love to have a go at the full marathon thou. Any tips from any of you die-hards out there- can you remember back to how hard or easy it was to make the leap?

Thanksimage

• Next years date 19-10-08 I would book my place now if entry was open but I will have to wait until the turn of the year, I am definitely going back for more next year.
  • 3.42 for me in my first one, so pretty happy with that! I thought the whole event was excellent, although the water stops could have been nearer. This video footage is a bonus so I can show all my mates what it was like to finish in the stadium.....

The wait until Dec for a ballot place for FLM 2008 starts now.....

• Reading back through my comments it comes over as a bit grumpy, which is not how I feel about the whole thing. I had a brilliant weekend and I found moments very special and very emotional - something to cherish for the rest of my life.

I love the results page with the photos and the videos and all the stats. That's great fun.

I also notice that they took finishers up to 6 and a half hours, which is good - they had said they would cut off at 6 hours!

I enjoyed the run, but I did feel that some aspects compared poorly to Paris, which is my only other big city marathon.  I found that mixing in the half marathon had a mainly negative impact for the marathon tail enders - though it also had some positive effects.  Though the morning run wasn't special, and a solo run along the city canals would have been just or more enjoyable for less effort, I enjoyed it - especially the  ride on the vintage tram.

Though the pasta party was overcrowded with a good number of people with no table and some with no chairs; and it lacked an atmosphere because there was no stage act. (I was looking forward to something like the big pasta party in Paris - a buzzing, active, uplifting experience with plenty of seating and singers and dancers.)  I still enjoyed it. I wasn't unhappy at the Amsterdam pasta party, it's just that it didn't quite meet my expectations.

I was comfortable with the 5km water stations. I did miss having extra ones in between, if only for the interest that they offer, but I found they were adequate for my needs. I like water cups on short runs and bottles for longer runs, so I would have preferred bottles, but I was OK with the cups. Something a bit extra on the stops would have pleased - I like the cups of tea and cake you get on the Beachy Head marathon for example - but they served a purpose. Utilitarian maybe, but that's not a bad thing.

It felt to me that this was runner's marathon rather than a fun marathon. There were few of the fun/nonsense elements, and nobody in costume.  I can live with that, though I do enjoy a bit of fun with my running!

I loved the two windmills on the Amstel river. And the Dutch girl I gave a kiss when I turned a corner and she was there cheering me on! And the daft musicial organs. And the support of the crowd in the last few Ks. And the marshall in Vondel Park who held down the barrier tape and directed men to the trees so they could have a pee!

A great time. I loved it! 

• SilkTork - my mate finished in 6:17, second from last, and said the same about the half marathon runners thundering past her and jostling her.  I have the utmost admiration for anyone who can run a marathon pretty much on their own with limited crowd support and few other runners around and keep on going to the end.

A few weeks ago I was saying that I was only going to run a spring marathon next year (London or Blackpool), yet for some reason I've started to ponder a return visit to Amsterdam.  This could get dangerous...

• Morning all,  ST really sorry to hear about that, it's a shame as well because from my perspective the whole event was leagues ahead of Paris in terms of engagement with the punter, organisation and the conditions.  That Half Marathon thing does seem a tad ridiculous as well.

Don't know about everyone else but I'm seriously considering setting up a Pipe Organ Elimination Society.  Were they strategically placed to induce mild rage - who knows?

Was bang on for around 3:30 ish until 21.5 miles and ran into some serious cramps that unfortunitely put paid to that, in the end crept in at 3:43, still under longer target so I can't really complain.

In all honesty the preparation could not have gone better, bot in the run up to and on the day, so have no idea why I got crampling so badly.  Had the jucies and food at the stations, SIS gels at set intervals, maybe just have to up the mileage in training before the next one.

Anyway - well done everyone, some seriously respectable times out there.

Jase

• The great thing about that results video is that you can put in other people's bib numbers and see them running (or walking sometimes!). I wish I'd known the camera was there - every time I crossed a marker I was busy looking at my watch and my pace band and worried that I was either going too fast or too slow!
  • Womble......well done on your time. Hope the legs are ok.

image From all at Sinfin

• I liked the organs image

Shouted out "Wales" to the announcer by the Citroen garage just outside the stadium and he looked up my number and broadcast "No 4456 Peter Tanner from Wales" which was a great lift.

Did a gentle 3 miles last night and am raring to go at Cheddar - obviously didn't push hard enough in Amsterdam!

• Well done everyone, some fantastic times.  I was so pleased with my time as i have had a virus and thoughtt hat i would not be able to run, my time was 3.51, so well pleased and will put in for next year as the route was so nice.