Caaamonnn Ref!!

Comments

• Doomed. 15 matches left for us. None of them easy. Back to the bad old days of low level football, crappy grounds and poor atmospheres.

15 Forest Green 33.....38
    16 Stafford Rangers32.....37
    17 Halifax 29.....36
    18 Northwich 28.....36
    19 Cambridge Utd 34.....35
    20 St Albans 33.....33
    ---------------------------------
    21 Southport 33.....32
    22 Altrincham 32.....32
    23 Grays Athletic 31.....31
    24 Tamworth 31.....28
  • Naw naw naw chin up matey.

In recent weeks you have shown that you have the goods to get a result. You just need to string a few together.

Renfrew 0 Pollok 4.

:)

• Nice result!

We need several miracles all at once, mate, else we are screwed and have to vist these illustrious places next year: Barrow, Workington, Nuneaton, Blythe. Oh, the joy!
  • It is, true, and I love it all, but I so dearly dont want to drop down to that level.

Even if it is, really, our true level.
  • No I know what you mean.

Although I love the juniors, it is nice to be at that top tier.

Also, once you drop down, it is difficult to come back.

However, I have seen lost causes, and Tamworth ain't it yet.
  • The probable list in full.

AFC Telford United
    Alfreton Town
    Altrincham
    Barrow
    Blyth Spartans
    Farsley Celtic
    Gainsborough Trinity
    Hednesford Town
    Hinckley United
    Hucknall Town
    Hyde United
    Kettering Town
    Nuneaton Borough
    Scarborough
    Solihull Moors
    Southport
    Stalybridge Celtic
    Tamworth
    Vauxhall Motors
    Worcester City
    Workington
    Worksop Town
  • An interesting exercise. I have split them up into two lists, the grounds I have and havent visited. In all of football, some of the ones I most want to get to are in the half that I havent been to yet, so that is clearly a silver lining in an otherwise grey cloud.

Not yet been to:

AFC Telford United
    Alfreton Town
    Barrow
    Blyth Spartans
    Farsley Celtic
    Gainsborough Trinity
    Hyde United
    Kettering Town
    Stalybridge Celtic
    Worcester City
    Workington
    Worksop Town

Been to:

Tamworth
    Vauxhall Motors
    Southport
    Nuneaton Borough
    Scarborough
    Solihull Moors
    Hednesford Town
    Hinckley United
    Hucknall Town
    Altrincham
  • There are still a lot of big names in there.

Well names that are well known to most fans up here.

Plus it might be nice to be up challenging for a title rather than scrapping at the bottom.

I remember Hibs getting more fans when they were in Division One than when they were in the Premier League....because they were going for a title!
  • Yeah, it does happen like that. Thing is, with the new boss, we are performing like a solid, mid Conference team, which is outstanding for us.

Trouble is, we are floundering still because of the previous joker, and need to perform like a premiersip team in the remaing 15 matches!

If Gretna hasd't have changed leagues, we would most likely be playing them next year too!
  • Dont know what you read about the english non league scene, but a cracking site for football geeks is Tony Kempster's site.

Its magic and I use it daily. Takes you from the premiership all the way down the pyramid down to a very low level.
  • Superb thanks..

I will be down in London in mid May and so I will try to catch a game or two...if the season is still clinging on by then.

I do know what you mean about the damage already being done to the side.

However, looking at the table, I would guess that the other sides around you have not been winning either, and so you don't necessarily need Premiership form, just a few wins to sprint past them :)
  • Bummer Nessie.

Saw the game.

Jammy B*stards.
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    <sigh>

We're great for 88 minutes.

That's 3 (or is it 4?) games in a row.

AND I was at the rugby on Saturday. And I had the flu (just back at w*k).

What a sh*te weekend.
  • Hi All

Just found this thread and I can agree that without the buzz of live footy, Saturday's (or whatever day games are played on) would just a dull round of trips to the tip, lawn mowing, etc.

I have been going to live games since 1972, although only regularly since 1979 (when I was 15).

I have a home and away season ticket for my team who I have now seen in all 4 divisions of the English League.

I also watch my son play U15 footy on a Sunday, and I regularly help out with things like pitch markings, putting up the goals, etc.
  • Brilliant, welcome welcome.

But....

what is your team sir??
  • Luton Town, Bolton Wanderers, Fulham, Oxford United ??
  • Reading.

Only just got my voice back from our cup tie on Tuesday.

I am enjoying trips to many new grounds this year.

The best away fans facilities are at Wigan. They have a "club" under the away end where you can go in, sit down at proper tables (with table cloth too) and enjoy food and drink at good prices. Brilliant!

I've been to many grounds over the years, but not as many as dan dan.
  • PS - my son plays for Burghfield U15s.
    PPS - my neighbour is an AFC Wimbledon fan
  • Ahh the sacred 'clubbie'.

of course, par for the course at Scottish non-league grounds.

Why is it, the lower the league and the less you pay, the better you are treated?

p.s. well dandan is the world champion so no disgrace there :)

p.p.s. well done for giving your time to your young laddie's team.
  • dan dandan dan ✭✭✭
    Am 'only' on 70 games for the season as one was called off last night.

*sulks*

Am now on 111 grounds though, which is pleasing. Aiming for 120 by the season's end.

Eastwood Town were my latest on Tuesday night, Unibond Div 1.

• Answer me truthfully...

How often are you at a random ground, eating a gristly pie, and thinking:

'What the hell am i doing here?'
  • Very true words "dude", about how you are treated. "Bigger" clubs are more arrogant about their treatment of fans.

Also, the Gristly Pie could apply to any ground really, the same as the dodgy burger vans outside the grounds.

• dan dandan dan ✭✭✭
    Honestly? Never! Specially as I dont eat meat.

;o)

More honesty time: I love all my travels, especially the random grounds, apart from the hard times,on crappy trips to places I already know. I dont like them. I hate Burton's ground, one of the few trips I dislike.

Can you believe this? We have just had our 4 times postponed league match against Aldershot postponed again coz of their mickey mouse cup in the Hampshire Cup.

If this stays the same, it means only one thing...the Danny Boy is going travelling Tuesday night, and will most likely end up at the home of Mansfield Town, an unexpected trip if ever there was one!
  • dan dandan dan ✭✭✭
    Tomorrow is new ground 112, away at Northwich Victoria.Am not well at all with bad back ache, but am not missing that game for anything. I visited them when they ground shared with Witton Albion, but now their new ground is a nice new visit.

Am aiming for 120 grounds by the end of the season now. Northwich 112, Mansfield 113 all being well, Weymouth 114, and then 6 more ones from all sorts of levels.

Need to knock a few London clubs off the list asap.

Am also looking at doing a double header last weekend of the season. Possibly Scunthorpe on the Saturday, Hull on the Sunday, as they stagger trhe last games of the season.

Then come the play-offs. I have strategically left Lincoln till then, knowing pretty much that they are perennial play-off merchants..

I LOVE MY TRAVELS!!!

:-D
  • WombleWomble ✭✭✭
    Seeing as how you mentioned AFC Wimbledon.... bliddy Rymans League is trying to dock us 18 points! We signed a player from Cardiff unaware that an international transfer form had to be completed. This only came to light when the player was booked after having played several matches. Now we've been thrown out of two cups and the points thing is threatened although the club is appealing.

Now, if that had happened to Liverpool, West Ham or a club like that, do you think they would have been docked 18 points????

GRRRRRRRRRRR
  • Hiya Dan.

Yeah that's what I thought, ya nut ye :)

I can relate to the adventure of seeking out new grounds, albeit on a much smaller scale, I was just interested.

Like racing......it's a great way to see the country!!