Wednesday 17th January 2007

Comments

• Morning Peeps!

Hi Hoggle - you're sure to get a warm and frindly welcome on this thread. :)

I'm feeling very frustrated todday - went out last night for my planned 5miles and felt really good, most enjoyable run for ages. Then 200m from home went to cross the road and fell off the kerb! Twisted up my ankle again and had to stop and hobble home. Have "RICED" lots (well tried to rest) and now sitting here with it propped up under my desk. :(

I'm hoping that it will be another short term sprain but still feeling "Grrrr!".

Anyway

What: Rest/Core
    Why: See above
    Last Hard: Last week sometime
    Last Easy: Last night
    Last Rest: Monday

Oh, and breakfast: 3 Weetabix and 2 Muffins with Marmite (Again)

Have a cracking Day One and All

FIN
  • Morning,

What: 30mins on turbo am, 60mins aerobic in gym pm
    Why: Bad foot
    Last Hard: Monday
    Last Rest: 7 days
  • PodroPodro ✭✭✭
    Morning
    Welcomes to Wacky Racer and Hoggle
    I'm at home today looking after a poorly Podlet so no lunchtime speedwork session but I'll get a swim in this evening.

What: swim drills
    Why: Learning to swim

Hopefully the pool will be a bit cooler than last time.
  • Thanks Podro... and I love your pic!
  • Bad luck FINgers.

Just a thought. You say twisted again - does it often happen?

It might be worth getting a physio's guidance. I used to sprain an ankle pretty commonly, until I once got expert help in recovering from it. The theory was to get its supporting muscles stronger than they were before the accident. Haven't twisted an ankle seriously since, touch wood.

welcome Wacky Racer and Hoggle.
  • Hi Hoggle.

NG, surely there is time left for 2-3 fast runs of 7-8 miles to assess a few target paces? I'm a beginning racer as well so have similar problems tbh

I'm racing Canterbury 10 on the 28th and intend to run the 2nd half of tonight's club run hard to get an indication. Life over the last 3 days has left me quite tired though, so we'll see...

Glad you all liked the xc video. I don't know who's footage it is (nor able to store it on my machine) so not in a position to put it on youTube. Watched it last night again with mrs I and we had a great laugh. I think BR would refer to it as 'quality' ;-)

Brave move there, Stickless

What: 9+ miles club run
    Why: nice to run in company & a beer afterwards
    Last rest: monday
    Last hard: sunday
    Lyrics: I manage to even not get the obvious ones, let alone needing obcure ones...
  • Morning all,

Welcome hoggle & Wacky racer

What: 3.5m recovery run d&d, strength session PM
    Why: easy day
    Last hard: last night
    Last rest: monday
  • Hey Stickless,

Yep, used to be a regular occurance until about 2 years ago and then I had another problem and went to the physio, they gave me some strengthening work for my legs which includes the ankle. Had no probs since then until recently, but have been a little slack on doing the strength work recently and the problem has returned. Maybe I have got weak again.

That is what is the most frustrating - this probably could have been avoided if I had not been slack. Very frustrating.

FIN
  • Everyone's very welcoming in here :o)

By the way I've just uploaded a new gif so I may have lost my face. Just seeing if I can make one of those fancy moving ones in photoshop.

...and, yep. Very quiet at work!

• What: Bike & Run
    Why: Schedule IM training.
    Last rest: Saturday
    Last hard: Yesterday - 32 miles bike.

Jen*: Lyrics from yesterday were, No Doubt and "Run"

:o)
  • I agree everyone has been really nice!

Now I really am going to have to go for my run today otherwise I will be too embarssed to log on tomorrow!!
  • Ended up going out yesterday, just for a little one....felt great to be out in the wind instead of inside working.

What: 7 miles steady
    Why: Not ready for my scheduled hard day
    Last hard: Sunday
    Last rest: Sat
  • Morning, not too wet here at the moment, hope the rain holds off for club run tonight, tempted to run this morning while it IS still dry , but I know I wont enjoy it as much as running with club mates later, not really up to running twice a day at the moment.

Breakfast, couldnt go without it , dont know how people do !! today was porridge, love the stuff. sometimes branflakes with a banana on the top, and ALWAYS coffee.Ate loads yesterday,naughties included snickers, bowl of choc icecream, and some chocolate fudge thingys my mate brough round last night, oh well a little of what you fancy as they say (alright it wasnt just a little but who cares ?)

What : Club run tonught about 8 miles probably
    Why : its club night AND it fits in with schedule
    Last hard : sunday
    Last rest : monday

Have a nice day everyone hope its not too windy wherever you are x
  • Morning all,
    Really enjoyed watching IMSKIs video and seeing myself ploughing through the ditch, thought I took it badly but clearly not as bad as some people! lol

Had a really good track session last night, best set ive done for sometime, so feeling really possitive today.

session was 10x400m off 90secs
    73s 72s 71s 71s 70s 71s 71s 71s 71s 69s

I was working with a 4:30min 1500m female runner and we worked quiet well together as can be seen from the times.

What:
    pm: 6-7mile club run easy/steady pace

Why:
    Aerobic endurance and easier day of running.

Breakfast: Five alive juice, cup of tea, Bran flakes with semi skimmed milk and Toast with marmelaide.

• hi all,

just come back from a nice gentle run. Only did 5 miles cos I felt really wierd and thought best to come home. Messed up my meds this week so gotta get them back on track.

hope everyone has a good one today! x
  • Woke up this morning and found one of my toes quite sore when moving about, so that's the small run of the day off just to be safe. Running as normal tonight, hopefully.

What: 16x600m speedwork tonight
    Why: Club session
    Last Hard: Monday
    Last rest: 16 days
  • Hello everyone, not been on here for a bit due to lots of things going on.

Firstly, I did run a bit last week (3 lots of 3M through the week), but the pain when I walked was getting bad. Then legionella mentioned that if it hurt when I walked, why was I running? This made me rethink everything and since Thursday last week, I haven't run a step. I have overdosed somewhat on the exercise bike and rowing machine so the body rebelled with a sore throat on Monday making me rest!

I've been longing to feel the wind rush through my hair (on my arms anyway) again so I'm buying a bike this weekend for trails and road, so that I can pace and accompany a cetain other runner as she battles through her FLM training.

Last night's training was 15mins on the rower (3.4km) followed by 30mins (18.3km) on the exercise bike with a fast 6k in 10mins then some fartlek training.

Tonight what: 25-30mins swimming whilst someone else is out running!
    Why: no running
    Last hard: last night
  • The plantar fasciitis is easing a little now with rest, copious golf ball rolling and stretching but having talked to a friend with the same condition, have started to qeustion when I will return to the land of running. He's had cortisone injections and someone was telling me about them last night. Any thoughts from anyone on here who's had them?
  • Morning folks.

Welcomes to Hoggle and Wacky Racer.

Forgot to have a look at the XC video last night (can't view it at work). Must remember to have a peek tonight.

Made the most of yesterday's brilliant (and rare!) weather with an excellent lunchtime run...about 11.75 miles in 80mins, under a clear blue sky. Wonderful.

For today...

What: am - 4.2 easy miles d&d (32mins), pm - club hill session (15 x c.250m hill with jogdown recoveries)
    Why: am - recovery, pm - aerobic endurance/strength

After calling off last week, our National Endurance Coach is paying us a visit tonight for a chat and to oversee the session. Hope we don't get the snow we had last night, or the recoveries could be 250m slides...

Have a good day.
  • Morning all,

welcome newbies - enjoy the thread

DD - have fun in the race and dead jealous of your skiing trip. Where are you going? Saw a pic of the ski run in Dubai the other day. My Ros Bandits are collecting dust, must plan a trip...

What: easy 3 miler
    Why: Keeping the legs moving during taper
    Last Hard: Ages

Lyrics - no idea

Have a great day.
  • Congratulations to her, fantastic news!

If she inherits her parents talents that is going to be one quick runner....
  • Morning all,

hi newbies - welcome to the thread.

Congrats Paula.

It's nice here but very very cold.

What: definitely core and 2.4k swim; if I can fit it in, 85 min run
    Why: schedule but busy day and waiting for the plumber.
    Last hard: ages
    Last rest: Sunday

Good runnings all.
  • Afternoon

FL...hope the foot gets better soon.

What: 45 mins easy this morning in the rain.
    Why: plan says so.
    Last hard: Sat
    Last rest: 8 days
  • hello to peahead and wacky racer (have you got a friend called dick dastardly??)

amazingly had a lovely hour's run in the sunshine, bit blustery but pleasant. now it's wet and windy again.

congrats to paula and gary. wonder if they've got trainiers to fit her yet

FL - sorry you're still in the wars. yes i've had chronic PF twice, 1991(left) and 97/8 (right). first time cured by one shot at local GP's and was back training normally within a fortnight after struggling for 4 months with it. second time different GP missed the spot and i ended up paying ortho chap and needed 2 jabs but did the trick and well worth the £50 a time to get it sorted. if you go for the jab make sure they hit it spot on - they use a biro prodding you and making marks on your foot till they hit the point of maximum ouch and then jab it
  • Don't know of a DD... but I did meet Mutley on here yesterday! ;o)
  • i'm sure there's a penelope pitstop somewhere too ;-)
  • Hello all

Northern Gear - I am no expert but from my own experience adding regular intervals into training improved half marathon time by more around 10 minutes first to second...do you run with a club? as i found that also made a big difference, also for half marathons i tend to train overdistance on my long run, at about 85% of race intensity, helped me with strength at end of race.