Options

Wednesday 17th January 2007

Comments

• Options
    Afternoon

Sunny up here in sheffield, nice run at lunch. Did 3.4 to 4 miles. Enjoyed it very much

Hope you are all still plodding or the more serious runners speed plodding!!

• Options
    Many apologies - not got time to read back properly, but just wanted to pop in.

Last night's 400m reps went pretty well - fairly consistent times over 12 reps, so I was pleased.

Then today, I managed to get out at lunch time and did 4 miles. First 3 were fairly quick (by my standards) and took exactly 23 minutes. Fourth one involved waiting at several sets of pedestrian lights in Reading town centre and was also a wind down, so went over 9 minutes.

Legs tired now after two sessions in 18 hours.
  • Options
    What: Gentle 40 minutes at crack of dawn through lovely German wine village where we were staying for night for work

Simon
  • Options
    Thanks Imski

BDP - impressive improvement, I'm wary of spped work because of the possibilty of injury especially as its I'm still early in my running career. I have 2 further races I'm targeting, April and October, I'll possibly try intervals for these.

I will try and make my next long run longer than race distance (previous one's have been 11, 10, 9, 9, 8, 8). I don't run with a club as I get back from work too late in the week and choose not to run at weekends if I can help it - family time :o)

• Options
    Just finished a 40 min easy run - felt pretty good for my first run in 4 months (I really got lazy!!)
    The sun has come out in London which made it even better

Enjoy all your evening runs!

• Options
    Hi NG fair comment re the dangers of speed work, one way to add in intervals i found is to do some hill work which you can run at the same effort as on the flat but the effort of going up hill makes it speed work like, if you know what i mean. I understand re club and family commitments, dont know what others think of going over distance for a half, just saying what worked for me.

Good luck with it all.
  • Options
    BDP - I'll take that on board re hills as my regular 1.1m loop has a fairly steep hill about 250m long which I usually slow for (to keep HR constant)

...and the HM has some tough hills.

• Options
    Afternoon everyone.

DD - Enjoy your hols

Imski - What & where is this video everyone is on about?

What: Club run this evening
    Why: It's Wednesday
  • Options
    Afternoon all,

Welcome newbies!

Hippo: Can't you become a GP? Then we could all register with you and get great treatment for our running injuries on the NHS :-)

clink: Did your GP go straight to an injection for the PF, or did he suggest stopping running first?

What: 13m general aerobic. Should have been 15, but I got Summonsed to a 2-o-clock meeting at 11:55, so phone down, dash to gym, run done, showered and back for 2. Dedication or wot? Now I've got to do 15m on Friday though!
    Why: Rejig P&D
    Last hard: N/A
    Last Rest: hippo-25

Have a good one!
  • Options
    200 mins - I posted ' target='_blank' rel="nofollow">this yesterday.

Congrats with the recovery progressing well, btw.

NG - I'd not feel very comfortable about racing a HM without long runs reaching 15 miles tbh.
    Speed work: might be tempted to start doing a bit towards spring/summer. Still progressing fine without it, but start to sense I'm lacking a higher gear to shift to while my fast end running (< 7mm) starts feeling more comfortable.
  • Options
    AF
    I did think about that
    but i really dont want to work with kids, plus id have to do another 2-3 years back as a junior doc

Yoga and a 4 mile run d and d

Re plantar fasciitits
    i dont want to put anyone off-but have you had a look at the monster thread on this
    lots of useful ideas, even if some of the poor individuals on there have had the condition for ages

Enjoy the weekend shenanigans DD

waves to new people

where did i put my drugs now
  • Options
    What: 7.9 Miles including 5x1K @ 5Mile pace with 3 minute recovery.
    Why: Building speed.

Had intended to target 4:20 per rep, but after checking with GMap, it appears the Garmin was 100-150m short on the first rep (so I did 1100-1150m), and it looks like that took too much out of me for the subsequent reps.

4:32 (Garmin measured short by ~100m)
    4:29 (v muddy)
    4:33 (bridge and muddy)
    4:29
    4:38 (slight uphill into wind)

Average: 4:32

The mud and wind were also worse than last week...

Welcome Newbies.

Have a good day all

Dave
  • Options
    I know thsi has been posted as a thread loads of times but can't remember any answers:

What websites are best for measuring running distance?

Thanks!!
  • Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    Afternoon!

Stickless - Get the office out and about! I think it's great! I tried to set up a Friday lunch time runners group where I used to work. It did seem to get a few people enthusiastic about running, but people turned up randomly and there were rarely more than 2 or 3 people out running which didn't do much for my motivation for it. Still, people seemed to appreciate it and a few have carried on after I left 6 months ago. I like to think I made little ripples in the ocean....! Hope your office run goes well! Surely your endurance will show them who's boss, so to speak?

Wacky Racer - Hello there - and stay safe in this weather....

Hoggle - hello to you too - "hoggle" as in the pig, or as in the little gnome thing from Labyrinth? Well done for getting out there! Same again tomorrow?

Northern Gear - how many mpw between Nov & Jan? Just interested as my training is likely to be similar to yours has been. Your planned mileage sounds fine to me (but I'm no expert!) but wonder if it's possible for you to split your rest days so there is one in the week? Just to help you put more effort or recover from harder effort, between sessions. Perhaps your routine won't allow it, but it's just a thought.

FIN - I nearly tripped on a kerb this morning. I had a proper fall in Sept and grazed my knee BIG time and it took 4 weeks to heel properly and I am scared stiff of falling again. Not twisted anything yet. Hope your ankle isn't too bad.

Peahead -at the risk of looking stupid, who's the picture?

FL - sorry to hear you aren't running, but look at you with your other stuff! I really should get my bike out the shed..... Has what caused your PF been identified? It's been hanging around for a while now, hasn't it?

What are the odds that Baby Radcliffe(Lough?) will become a wobbly little lardball when she leaves home and will appear in a 'celebrity' fat club house in 25 years time......? Surely it's worth putting £1 on?! (though I am sure Gary and Paula will make perfect parents and ensure their offspring don't make such bad life choices....)

Had a shower of hailstones here earlier. Seems to have cleared up now though.... where are the storms???

ARG!!! VERY EXCITING!! BOOKING TICKETS TO SEE ROCKY ON FRIDAY NIGHT!!!!

baa-ba-ba-baa-ba-ba-baaa-ba-ba-baaaaa
    baa-ba-ba-baa-ba-ba-baaa-ba-ba-baaaaa
    baa-ba-ba-ba baa-ba-ba-baa-ba-ba baaaa
    ba-ba-baaa ba-ba-baaa-ba-ba-ba-baaaaaaaaa

De-ne-neeeowwww....De-ne-neeeowwww

Gonna fly now
    ;o)

ps - just for you Hipps!

• Options
    Hi Jen

Hoggle as in the troll in the Labryinth! An unfortunate nickname that has stuck for a really long time now!

Going to try and do the same tomorrow! Half marathon in March so need to catch up with my training schedule!
  • Options
    Sorry the mapmyrun link is wrong, try this one instead
  • Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    Just had a thought.... surely it's baby RadcLough.

chuckles to self. Joins Hipps in search of medication....*
  • Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    Higgle?
    Hoggle.
    Yes.

I LURVE Labyrinth! I could quote it all day!

You don't want to go that way. Never go that way.
    Cooooo, if she'd have gone that way, she'd have gone straight to that castle!

Ahhh, happy days! Hoggle used to be my desktop picture until not that long ago.
  • Options
    you blooming well NEED medication jen;)
    i cant wait to see rocky either

wanders off singing
  • Options
    Hahaha! I love the movie as well!

Haven't watched it in a while though!

Thanks for the mapping suggestions Stuart Little 2!
  • Options
    Jen - mileage Nov to Jan was 28 - 33 mpw.

Rest days are Sat and Sun which are for the family:o)
  • Options
    Gotta turn off notifications
  • Options
    We can't help being chatty ;o)
  • Options
    Imski-that vid is CLASS
    almost makes me want to join that club
  • Options
    Hipps, surely there must be an inclusive xc league in your neck of the woods too?
  • Options
    NG - I'm in the same position as yourself, and train at lunchtime at work, weekends and holiday training would be 'awkward', but I do like the 2 days rest.

The hard part is trying to arrange a pass for a race on a weekend....

Dave
  • Options
    STS - very true, I will be assembling yet more flat plack furniture tonight, tomorrow night and all weekend between the usual jobs to earn enough points to obtain a 4 hour pass for 11th Feb.

Blimey that makes it sounds gruesome, reality is as others have mentioned, running is my hobby and it has to fit in around other more important things.

Just wish I'd got into it 10 years ago...