Monday Session

Good Morning fine folks!
Fired up and ready for a new week?
Thought so, well done to all you who raced at the weekend!
what-long(ish) run 1/1.5 hrs
why-didn't get one in at weekend due to working!
last hard-race on thursday
last rest-last sunday
foots almost stopped hurting so back to it and bring on Ackworth!
ENJOY!

Comments

• MopheadMophead ✭✭✭
    Morning Mr C.
    You working too or just can't sleep?

what-5m easy/steady
    why-start of 10 week schedule leading up to Hinckley 1/2M
    last hard- about 2 weeks ago
    last rest- yesterday - on nights

Hope the foot behaves itself!
  • After much deliberating Saturdays run has convinced me that I need a break from running (an 8 mile run that left me in pain and unable to climb the stairs properly for the rest of the day). So I’ve decided that if I want to still be running in my 40’s then 6-8 weeks away from running (combined with some physiotherapy and a bio-mechanical assessment) is the only sensible course of action. I will continue to train but it will be all non-impact work and particularly cycling. Overall my hope is to start running again after my cycle race on 1 May and that by that time I will be fitter and stronger in every department.
    I’ve also been doing a lot of reading on the subject of injuries and I believe that the main cause of my injury is too much downhill running which, when combined with a knee instability problem causes the issues I’m currently facing. So during my break I will also be searching out running alternatives (which will probably focus on identifying routes that I can run around where I work – which is a lot flatter than where I live, and restricting myself to hilly running at weekends only).

Today: Cycling and rowing (30 minutes cycles, 18 km, followed by 10 minutes row) also core stability exercises with gym ball.
    Why: No running for 60 days.
    Last hard day: Yesterday actually, 1 hour squash followed by cycle and row.
    Last rest: Thursday.
  • Morning All

What: Rest
    Why: Recovery from Bideford 1/2 Marathon yesterday

Ran 1:24:04 which, considering my current fitness, I wasn't too displeased with. It was a good race, beautiful whether - did anyone else run it?

Next Planned - Tomorrow/Weds? (Easy recovery of no more than 5M)

Enjoy the day everyone!
  • Morning all.

What: Just 2 easy miles
    Why: Recovery from yesterday's long run.
    Last Hard: Yesterday
    Last Rest: Saturday
  • Morning All,

David,
    nice one mate, 1:24 is belting.

What: nowt, rest day.
    Why: Monday = recover from weekend.
    Last hard run: Yesterday
    Last rest day: Today
  • Morning all!

What : 60 mins on the concept 2 tonight followed by circuit training.

Why : Not done circuits on a monday for a couple of months and fancy a change from an early morning run

Last Hard : Weekend
    Last Rest : Friday

Waiting on my first pair of proper running trainers ariving soon! Can't wait. Been running in a cheapish pair of Nike's bit shot now so tried out other trainers in the shops and ordered (cheaper) on line. Of course me being size 12 I'm having to wait a week or so.
  • Morning everyone.

What: 4 x 1 mile intervals @ 5K pace for 8 miles in total
    Why: scheduled Monday speed session
    Last hard: Saturday
    Last rest: Friday
  • Hello!

What: Interval session - trying to decide if I have the courage to go down to the track and try 1 mile intervals
    Why : This marks the start of the New Schedule - scary but exciting!
    Last hard: Most of last week was easy as recovering from gastric flu and trying to be sensible
    Last rest: Day off yesterday in preparation for the New Schedule...

Hope to still be with you tomorrow.
  • Morning.

MartinH sorry to hear about that injury still to the knee, Im also in pain at the moment and have an appointment to see someone today at midday, im a little concerned to be honest.

After yesterdays London half at Silverstone and managed a cracking 1:26 I will be resting up and taking it easy.

What: Nothing
    Why: Feel pain in my right knee
    Last Hard:Yesterday
    Last Rest: Thursday

Take care all
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Bravo with the decision Martin,looks like your braver (and more sensible) than many of us. I hope the cross training does help sort the niggles out!

What : 30mins easy
    Why : recovery run
    Last Hard : yesterdays LSD/Fridays speed
    LAst Rest : Tuesday
  • LSD Dustin- thats cheating!!
    Martin -unlucky, but it seems you're more sensible than the rest of us! Good on ya and recover well!
  • MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Martin, I think your planned course of action sounds very sensible and is the only way to improve your chances of continuing to run in the years ahead. I now do a lot of hilly running (although probably nothing like the hills you run on) and have noticed a lot more general aching and occasional pain than I ever got when I ran on the flat. Go easy, definitely.

What: Steady 5 miles.
    Why: Have been bad over the last few weeks. I think I have only managed my planned four runs a week two or three times in the last two months. There is nearly always a problem with fitting in the long run over the weekend, or else I miss out on Friday night's run because I'm either out or not in the mood on Friday evening. I need to make a concerted effort to get back on track. The long run MUST be fitted in, and I may resort to running Friday lunchtimes instead of evening if I can't discipline myself to get out on a Friday night.
    Last hard: Probably last Wednesday.
    Last rest: Yesterday (feelings of guilt ...)
  • Morning one and all,

Martin you've obviously thought long and hard about this and I'm sure you're making the right decision. I'm certain the rest period will fly by and when you get the you're knee sorted you'll be back out there again soon.

The weekend was a bit of a funny one really. I had hoped to get out at some point but the 640miles worth of driving over the weekend took their tole on my right foot, but at least my left ankle got a bit of rest (cars an automatic), and my head is still a bit spaced but there you go.

So today is the usual 5-6miler round the bank of the Thames.
    Last Rest : Yesterday
    Last Hard : Tuesday
  • Morning all,

Martin, agree with everyone else, sounds like a very sensible strategy and taking the long term perspective which is really hard to do. Good luck with your bike race.

David, many congrats on your 1/2m time, well deserved after your marathon woes especially.

Hope most of you are taking it easy today after all the amazing running I've just read about on yesterday's thread.

What: club session, think it's hills this week.
    Why: haven't been for 2 weeks since I've been too tired after long runs to do speed sessions on Mon nights. Really miss the social side especially.
    Last hard: Fri/Sat.
    Last rest: yesterday, pretty much.

Think I may post my training woes on a separate thread later. My heart rate/pace doesn't make sense at all, there's a massive difference between my 1/2m hr/pace and LSD hr/pace. And somewhere in that no man's land is my target marathon pace, seems completely unlikely as things stand, don't know what to do about it and fear it's too late now. Also desperate for a good night's sleep, averaging 5 hrs/night for nearly a week.
    Sorry to moan, will do some work now.

Have a good day all.
  • Morning All!!

What: Most definitely REST!!!!
    Why: Need to recover from the Thanet 20 Mile Race Yesterdat.

Last hard: Yesterday
    Last Long: Yesterday
    Last rest: Last Wednesday. I Think!!

Well done to eveyone ele that raced at the weekend.
  • Laura/MM

Thanks for the comments - it's much appreciated

Just to put things in perspective, the last guy to finish the Bideford 1/2 yesterday crossed the line in 3:58. He finished in 579th place and suffers from MS as well as having an artifical right leg from the knee down - that guy was truely an inspiration to everyone who took part - it made me feel quite small when thinking about my own 'injury' woes and how my training/plans have been disrupted - he was the hero of the day without doubt

For anyone interested, the full race results can be viewed at http://website.lineone.net/~richard.rundle/half_res_2003.htm

I finished in 53rd place with an official 1:24:37, but congestion at the start gave me a personal start/finish time of 1:24:04

Cheers
  • Morning again folks

Will take me some time to catch up on all the racing that's been going on but these sub 85min 1/2M folks are doing something right.

MartinH : that's a brave decision you've made and no doubt a hard one - I wish you well and will consider it carefully myself.

Anyway, my own training dilemma continues. last training run was 9th feb and a 3miler on feb 16th was last run. have been hoping that effectively 3 weeks away from running would do some good to knee and ilium. Knee was actually fine skiing but skiing did appear to aggravate the ilium problem. Tried the bones/muscles out on a treadmill last night doing a 30min hilly fartlek - L knee slight ache but OK, no sharp pain, hip/ilium though more problematic as this hurt q. sharply. Bit of a loss as to what to do as all forms of leg excercise seem to affect it to some degree.

today: not sure
    why: see how things go
    last rest : sat
    last hard: forgotten

• Thanks everyone for all your positive comments.

Its a tough one but then reading some of the stories in this months RW and reading some of the daily trials that some on this thread go through (Stickless in particular) I do feel extremely lucky.

No doubt a break from running will be very hard, but I'm thankful that I can still cycle etc largely pain free - so at least I'll hope to keep the weight off!
  • Gutted for you, MartinH, but top marks for application. I'm sure you'll get back to running regularly before too long. As our American cousins would say, injury sucks.

What: Rest? Might lob some cricket balls at some wooden things if I can be arsed.
    Why: It's that day between race day and club night.
    Hard: Race yesterday. Not in good nick, for some unfathomable reason.
    Rest: Saturday.

Have fun today, people.
  • Hi everyone,

today: 1 hour training on the turbo.
    why: it's Monday

Martin, have you tried doing light weights to correct any knee imbalances you may have?

Have a good day!
  • mulemule ✭✭✭
    What: 30 mins Easy
    Why: Regular Monday run with work colleagues. Plus easy after yesterday's race

Last hard: half marathon race yesterday
    Last rest: Last Thursday
  • drewdrew ✭✭✭
    What: 45 - 50 minute recovery run + weight session
    Why: easy day
    Last hard day: yesterday
    Last rest day: Friday
  • Hi all

What: 17 mins recovery run with my very fast and enthusiastic six year old (dressed in URWFRC vest)
    Why: Because he's so keen to run with me
    Last hard: yesterday's long un
    Last easy/rest: fri/ sat
    Might try and get out for a proper recovery run later and do some Body Balance

Martin - stay fit and healthy
    Laura - Are you overtraining and exhausted? Don't worry too much about pace/HR discrepancy... As for pace, my 1/2m hr/pace and LSD hr/pace are wildly diff. I run 7:10 for a half, and just under 9 for an LSD - but I remember the same thing happening pre Dublin. I was nine min miling but managed 8:30ish for the race... RE: conniston - sent an email

Have fun everyone
  • Spud - I'm waiting to see what the physio advises.

Laura - A week at five hours sleep a night sounds like way too little for your training and I suspect thats the root cause. Interested in your HR conundrum - my racing HR was between about 160 (marathon) and high 180's (10k) with the half marathon sitting around 175 (my max is 195)
  • MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Laura, I'm with Martin here. I suspect that you'll find that your performance and your herat-rate problem would probably resolve themselves with some decent sleep. Five hours a night is not much, even for the average couch-potato, but when you're training as hard as you are you will definitely find your training is affected by lack of sleep.

I couldn't even manage Sunday's long run because I stupidly went to bed at 3am Sunday morning (and we hadn't even gone out!) so was tired and hungover. As I'm not really training for anything at the moment this wasn't a huge problem, but in general I do find that a poor night's sleep really affects my running the next day.
  • Afternoon! i know i started todays thread but have now carried out my intentions!
    what-1.30 steady/brisk (13ish)
    why-felt good-its spring up here today!!
    last rest -last sunday
    last hard-thursday
    Enjoy!!
  • Nearly missed posting but I've just got back from my run.

Martin, nothing to add to what's been said but you are doing the right thing.

What: 5 miles medium with 4 x strides. Avergaed 8.03 miles. That is pretty OK for me as I wasn't really pushing it too hard inbetween strides.

Why: Yesterday's hard wasn't as hard as intended. Missed Imber 1/2 and did 10 miles instead in 1.24. Felt a bit knackered after night of very interrupted sleep.

Last hard: Yesterday, I guess.

Last rest: Friday.

• annajoannajo ✭✭✭
    Good luck Martin, it takes a lot to stop running, when you know you should but don't want to.

What: Rest, maybe easy circuits
    Why: Knee hurts after long run yesterday, and race at weekend to taper for

Last hard: Thursday (should have been Sat, but turned out to be easier than I thought)
    Last rest: Friday
  • afternoon all

Martin - hope you continue to post here whatever form the cross-training takes. Are you doing any specidic exercises to try to strengthen your quads?

Laura - hope the sleep (lack of) situation is a bit better this week

what: (probably) short easy outing late this evening

why: cross fingers, it finally seems the throat symptoms have gone. However, I need to show my face at indoor cricket nets this evening. This means I'll have to delay the run until afterwards (~21:30) as twice in the last 5 years I have picked up q nasty bugs a day or so after doing a run, then going straight on to nets, where (apart from my 10 minutes batting and occasional bowling) I spend much of the hour just standing round getting cold. While I know there shouldn't be a connection between the two, twice bitten.....