Glasgow Runners

Comments

• Hail Hail

In Anniesland the noo, but moving into the wife's family home (her dad passed away a few months back) up in Kelvindale - a bit posh for the likes of me, but couldnae miss the opportunity. So, not only do we have our own move to organise, but we have to clear the new place too. And you can guess how that is going!! Why do auld folks have to keep everything? Honestly, newspapers going back 15 years, empty boxes from toasters, broken electric fan heaters, you name it, he held on to it! And of course, there's all the family possessions to be fought over. There's about a gazillion books that I dinnae want or need as well.

AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Rant over. I need a run.
  • Sam.Sam. ✭✭✭
    Good luck with the move RB, hope it doesn't get in the way of running too much. Moving house is horrible, I moved 4 times in the last year and will probably be off again soon!!
  • Evening all.....

Just noticed this thread......

I'm from Bothwell and a member of Motherwell AC.......
  • Sorry I just saw the words Balloch - Clydebank + Half Marathon and got interested. I'm trying to keep away from them to be honest, until I can vastly improve my time (i.e. go from a current 1:15 to nearer the 1:10 mark). That and the fact being young I'm always told to focus on speed, which is true.

I'll think about this one though - March is enough time to get some specific Half training in.
  • Hail Hail

Ah go on. You know you want to. It'd be some proper competition for the usual suspects. Both Kenny Richmond and Alasdair Morrison seem to be running really well just now, but I havent heard (or seem his name in results) of Bobby Gilroy. It's flat enough to be close to the 70 mark. Go on. Go on. Go on.

Thanks Sam. You well. What's happening?
  • Alasdair Morrison is quite an intriguing runner. To me anyway, he came out of nowhere. I first met him at the Eddie's half marathon - he came first, and I came 2nd. Then we met again at the East Kilbride 10k late last year and he pipped me by a few seconds at the end. I remember him saying, surprised, "this must be your distance then". He's an alright guy.

He's definitely good and one I'll be hoping to keep contesting him in future, but I really only knew of him late last year.

Robert Gilroy has been out of action for a bit with a virus I think, though he was at last weekend's 4k XC at Bella park. I beat him, gladly, because he's someone who'd whip me if he were at full strength.

Anyway about that Half, yeh I'll keep that one in mind.
  • Stuart...I'd go with RB on this one. Balloch-Clydebank is a good race, particularly if the wind's in the right direction. Usually a pretty decent field - Alasdair and Kenny will both be there, along with a few other contenders, which would give you some good competition and probably pull you to a quick time (or you never know...you might pull the rest of them along!). I ran a huge PB there a couple of years ago. Disregard the short hill between 9 and 10 miles and it's pretty much flat.

RB - spotted you out on Sunday morning, but you were just too quick to catch...! As Stuart says, wee Robert has been laid low with all sorts of lurgy, ever since he went and ran the Mombasa Marathon at short notice.
  • Hail Hail

Hey Scobos! How are you? Was out with a couple of fellas from Shettleston (well 4M w/u, 8M with them, the 4M back home, so a decent enough run), sorry I didnt see you. What have you got coming up?

Didnt know about Bobby being unwell. Shame. Give hime my best if anybody sees him.
  • Who did you run with in Shettleston RB?
  • Not doing too bad RB.

The main focus is FLM, but doing a few races before then. I'll be plodding my way round the National XC, then the Kinloss-Lossiemouth HM the following week. Heading off to the 2:09 training camp in Portugal again at the start of March, then it's final tune-up for London.

Also (sorry to bore you Stuart as we've been through this already elsewhere!), me and the Mrs have bought a second place in the Highlands, so it's all been a bit hectic over the last couple of months trying to get up there regularly to get the place sorted out.

I'll pop into the shop soon for a catch-up, if I don't bump into you out pounding the streets beforehand.
  • Hail Hail

Stuart - I was out with Clyde from Shettleston, and John McMillan from Kilbarchan. Both good runners over the marathon and beyond.

Scobos - best day for me in the shop is a Thursday, as I'm in the middle of a house move, and am only doing half days at the mo. Thursday I'm there all day though. For me, the focus will probably be Edinburgh, with FLM either a blast (if training goes ok) or a training run. Plus I'll more than likely be working at the Expo again.
  • X-KKDX-KKD ✭✭✭
    Oh, I love all you serious, wonderful runners. I'm SO envious! "Oh I'll stick in a half here or there...... aim to take 10 mins off my (super quick) time........do FLM as a training run....." :-)

I WANT TO BE ONE OF YOU!! I want to have that kind of commitment! Anyone want to swap legs!?
  • GAH

[wails]
    I WANT TO BE ABLE TO RUN AGAIN - STUPID KNEES!!!

I hate my life without running :(
  • X-KKDX-KKD ✭✭✭
    Go and see Andy Binning in Paisley Physio Centre. He'll get you up and running. Can you swim/cycle?

Hang in there Stumpy. You'll be there soon!! :-)
  • I'm based in the west end too with Scobos (him in doors)

RB - sure I saw you out running past Jelly hill on Saturday too?? around 330??

Wee Stumpy - I has a lot of bother with my knee last year but thankfully looks like i'm over the worst. Have you tried Glucosomine??

I'm in training for FLM again this year, got a good for age last year so want to try and achieve the same if not better this time. Training going well so far....fingers crossed I don't pick up any injuries!!
  • KKD - I'm currently under the care of some very good physios based in Edinburgh. Seems to be doing the trick, I'm just very impatient. I haven't run for 3 months now and irritated at having to start from scratch again - ho hum!

Stationary cycling in gym as part of rehab and going swimming in the next 10 mins or so.

Mightos-5 - I take 1500mg glucosamine every day.

[makes mental note of Andy Binning in case of future injuries, as Paisley Physio Centre a LOT more convenient than Edinburgh]
  • Hail Hail

Mightos - very good eyesight you pair have!! Since my lot weren't playing til Sunday (and oh! what a finish!!), I sneaked out for a run whilst Mrs RB was still up at the new house, sorting stuff. Just a wee 9M-er, then home to catch the very funny Jim Traynor.
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    RB - we wuz robbed!

:o)

• Hail Hail

Nessie - you gotta learn to keep playing right to the final whistle I tells ya.

But, aye, it was a tad cruel. Not like we needed the points was it?
  • Sam.Sam. ✭✭✭
    Not too bad thanks RB. 12 weeks to my next marathon and I'm only just able to run again......going to be a bit short on training for this one I think!!
  • Hail Hail

What one's that gonna be then Sam?
  • Sam.Sam. ✭✭✭
    I have an entry for Lochaber on April 22nd but at the moment my long run is 3 miles and I did 12 miles last week.

Still, a bit of optimism goes a long way!!

When's your next one??
  • Hi robert!
    I'm from queen's park in glasgow, so plenty of us runners about in the city!
    am aiming for edin. marathon, but managed to tear something in my stomach before christmas, so its looking a bit optimistic!
    i hate small fields as well, so hopeing to hide in the masses at edin!
    em
  • hoping,sorry,can't spell today!
  • Hi Sam.

I have my number for Lochaber too but am still on a crawl round five miles.

You're not alone!

Positive vibes only :)
  • I've heard of this person called Clyde from my club, but never seen him.
  • Sam.Sam. ✭✭✭
    thanks Dude

we can be last together!!
  • Hail Hail

Stuart - South African chap. really nice fella. He has done a few ultras in his time, and is aiming for sub 2.45 at FLM.

Sam - good luck with that. Lochaber is supposed to be a great race. I'll be in London on the same day, so we'll have to spare a wee thought for each other.
  • Scobos

I am also going to Portugal with 2:09. Not been before though I have gone to La Santa with them a couple of times. Was really dissapointed that they are not going there anymore.

You just going for first week? Also, dd u manage to get flights from Glasgow? Could not find anything from Scotland and now having to go via Luton.
  • Scobos

I am also going to Portugal with 2:09. Not been before though I have gone to La Santa with them a couple of times. Was really dissapointed that they are not going there anymore.

You just going for first week? Also, dd u manage to get flights from Glasgow? Could not find anything from Scotland and now having to go via Luton.