Late runs

Does anybody run late in the evening (after 9pm). Last week I struggled to fit in my usual four or five runs and the only time I was left with was after 9pm. I did not feel comfortable going out so late.

Comments

• I've done this before, although I've now switched back to early mornings since its getting light earlier.

Late evenings is a good time to go since you don't have to fit your running around a meal time, you can also get cleaned up and go straight to bed afterwards. The only off putting aspect to it is encounters with drunks or gangs of adolescents. I found that you got used to the area's where they were likely to be so you could stay clear of them. Its also worth going not much later than 10pm so your not still out at 11pm when the pubs chuck out. Once or twice drunks have felt the compulsion to chase (or race) me for fun but they usually don't have the co-ordination or fitness to keep it up for more than a few yards. You definately need your wits about you but I wouldn't be put off by it - it is just harmless drunken fun.

If you're at all bothered go in the early morning. Until two weeks ago when I came down with a terrible flu bug, I would go most days at 6am before work. At weekends I'd have a lie in and go at 7am. You can't beat the early morning especially in spring when the day breaks as you're running or in summer when its often the most beautiful time of the day.

• How much sleep do you get / need? I need at least 6 1/2h but preferably 7h.
  • About the same 6.5 to 7 hours. If you're too tired give it a miss or go to bed earlier. The worse thing that you can do is to set the alarm to get you up early but then fail to get up because you miss your run and you miss your sleep.
  • apb

I used to do most of my running after about 9.00. This was primarily because of young kids. My wife stays at home to look after our two and having had the kids all day was not too keen for me to get in from work and go straight back out for a run. So I would have my evening meal and by the time the kids were in bed and the dog walked it was about two hours after my tea, so I would run then.

I found that I enjoyed it lot and used to be able to run quite fast (for me). The drawbacks are that it is invariably dark (although up here in Aberdeen that's not too much of a problem from late May through to August). I also found that I did not really relax that evening until I had run. I also felt wide awake for a couple of hours afterwards.

I have now switched to either lunchtime (my employer having kindly installed a shower) or early morning. I prefer the morning as I have control then and not much actually stops me getting out - apart from motivation to get out of bed.

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    9-10 pm is quite a nice time to run, especially in summer when it is still daylight. However I prefer early mornings - was up and out by 5.30am yesterday - no-one around and you can watch the sun rise. Added bonus is that on the jog home,2-2.5 hours later,everyone else is just starting allowing you to look smug.
    This does depend on sleep requirements though. I'd love 8-9 hours but I get by on 4-5......
  • Last week I was on nights and passed a runner at 2330, luckily I didnt run him over as he was wearing black top and tights, so if you do run late please dress appropriately