Options

High 5 Gel stuff

Doing Dublin marathon end of October and my training runs are now up to 18 miles on a sunday morning. To date have only ever taken water and lucozade sport but received some gel samples from High5 the other day. I think I am 'coping' OK without them at present - i.e. am hitting my target times..but guess that when I move closer to the 26.2 I'm gonna need some kind of extra boost (and may well help me at current distance I guess). Question is - when should I take these - both from a training perpsective and on race day. Evry 5 miles, sooner, less often?? Havnt tried them yet but aim to use it/them on this weeks 18 miler.

Comments

• Options
    You normally get given gels at about 18-22 miles in marathons (I've only done 3 but they seemed pretty consistent) to help you beat the wall. Up to you when you take them, just make sure you try them in training first. Some can be really sickly and quite unpleasant without vast amounts of water. I haven't had the High 5 stuff so I don't know what it's like.
  • Options
    I use those High5 gels myself for marathons and they work very well for me - I take one every four miles (best to time them with water stations as you need to gulp a bit of water to turn them isotonic) which means I'm well topped up the whole way round.

Don't forget you can only store enough glycogen for about 18 miles worth of effort so you actually need to start getting it back in your system much earlier than that and certainly before the 9 mile mark. Giving them out at 18 miles is not a huge help as you probably can't get much benefit from them at that late stage - even though I would say that I seem to feel the High5 gels "kick in" quite quickly, which may be just a psychological boost as much as anything else. Possibly they've got quick release glucose in them as well as the carbs you need to keep you going, I don't know, I'm hopelessly out of my depth with this science stuff, I just know what works for me!

Whatever - it's a good idea to start training with them as soon as you can so you can work out a routine that works best for you. They can seem a bit weird to suck down the first few times and you should really make sure you get those liquids in at the same time for best effect. good luck. s.
  • Options
    hi ian having done 2 marathons i swear by jelly beans rather than gels ,they are easyier to carry and taste better plus you dont need vast amounts of water to take them. I take a few beans every mile after about 15 miles ,hope it helps
    Sean
  • Options
    YUK! I tried the gel this morning for the first time on my 18 mile run. I actually took couple of mouthfuls but did not have much water left. Have to say made me want to um, you know. Sean - gonna try the jelly beans next week I think. Any other non-gel alternatives out there? I'm wone of the lucky people that can eat full brekky and be out the door in 10mins for running with no ill effects so maybe I'm able to cope with food on the way round? Maybe I should try another gel?
  • Options
    Ian -

sorry to hear the gels didn't do it for you. I had the opposite problem today - I'd run out of gels so had to take an energy bar instead for my 20 miler and a) I can't swallow it after a while (with a severe risk of choking) and b) it jus didn't deliver the instant energy hit that I'd come to depend on from my gels (it takes a lot longer for bars to be digested and deliver their effect).

I'd agree with Sean that jelly beans (either the absurdly expensive american jobbies, or the much more soberly priced Joosters) are a really nice little treat and work pretty well, it's just that the gels are a little more, shall we say, scientific and probably give you a bigger, longer lasting effect. High5 have apparently now added caffeine and choline (whatever that is) which both are meant to give added benefits in marathon running (see RW this month) - so it's maybe worth persevering.

A word of warning too - if you're thinking of ordering more from High5, beware that their mail order department leaves a lot to be desired! Hence my running without gels this weekend.
  • Options
    Ian, our club runners often suck jelly babies along route and then take on plenty of water at stations.
  • Options
    Mmm..thanks for that. JellyBabies are in fact 'my fav sweet' so maybe this is worth a go. Jellybabies Vs Jellybeans. Now there's a good debating thread!
  • Options
    Tried jelly babies, they were good till it started raining and they all stuck together in my pocket. I have tried SIS Go gels, they don't need water to be used and taste not too bad, another type is Carboshotz a bit sweeter and do need some water, a bit more than the couple of mouthfulls it says on the packet anyway.
    I am hoping to do my first marathon in October, any advice from all you vets on how to carry all this stuff around the course?
  • Options
    ChaosChaos ✭✭✭
    Just had a Powerbar Gel the other day - the vanilla is delicious though it may just have been my extreme knackeredness that made it that way! SIS orange-flavour Gel was ok if a little tasteless - but it did have the advantage of being isotonic as Sarcy1 says.

Usually just prefer energy drinks though - lucozade got me through the marathon nicely taken every 15 minutes to give the stomach a chance to rest in between gulps.

Does the Dublin Marathon supply anything en route?
  • Options
    I have been looking into this high5 stuff, and have noticed an article on it in RW this month (pge 18), not sure if to try it or not, but think I need to try something as Dublin will be my 1st 26.2, not sure I will get round without some 'help'.
    Achilles-any chance of the mail order info?????????
    Graham
  • Options
    Legless -

just go to their website at www.highfive.co.uk which has the phone number and other details - frustratingly the website still isn't properly functional so you have to call them up to order - also it's pretty hard to find the stuff in any shops which is a pain. but you can order a sample pack there which seems like a good idea if you're unsure about whether it's what you really need.
  • Options
    Did that make sense? I can't work it out, brain suffering glycogen depletion after a crazy work-out. I meant to say that you can get hold of a sample pack off the website as I think someone did earlier in this thread.
  • Options
    I ran 20 miles on Sunday morning and used both free samples of High5 gel. Could just be the fact that I'm improving, but I definately felt more comfortable in the last few miles than I did on the same run last month. Have decided to use them again - if only becaused they were rather yummy - my Lucozade Sport tasted like water in comparison. It's a good job I have a sweet tooth.
  • Options
    cheers Achilles, will give it a go
  • Options
    I always use gels on marathons, may be psychological but I feel better for taking them. Jelly babies do work too - I carry everything in a small waist pack.

Sheila Anne
  • Options
    I run with a little bum bag (please .. no jokes :-)) and have used different gels (High5 and SIS) but found they either made me feel sickly or didn't seem to do anything much. Gonna use Joosters on Sunday's marathon at Nottingham - but my problem is the fact that the bum-bag gets wet with sweat - worse if it rains - and Joosters don't seem to like getting too damp or they stick together and make a terrible mess. "Put them in a poly bag" I hear you cry, but I've found that that makes it near impossible to get the little devils out as the bag opening is never accessible - or they fall out and we're back to square one. Anyone got a fantastic, waterproof Jooster dispensing tip ?

Cheers

Bruxy
  • Options
    Bruxy -

I've heard you're supposed to put them in one of those little plastic things for holding exposed film when you take it to Boots - except I'd probably end up spilling the whole supply trying to get the thing open. I agree soggy Joosters are a pretty sorry affair - plus it takes ages to get the dye/artificial colouring off my fingers which is a bit worrying.
  • Options
    Hi Achilles, thanks for that idea. Racking my brain, I had an idea along the same lines of putting them in one of those small, plastic pop bottles (empty and dried out of course!) then just popping the top off and emptying several josters into my mouth - should be possible to do this while running and ought to keep them dry and accessible.
    Down side is I'll sound like a manic Mexican or rattlesnake with rhythmn :-))

I'll experiment on tonight's run and see what happens.

Take your point about the colour - makes you wonder what it does to your insides. It does have a positive side though - I know when my partners been pinching mine as her fingers give it away :-)))

Cheers
    Bruxy