Friday 26th January 2007

Comments

• Sorry to hear you're ill Ironwifey - wonder if its the same bug that laid out myself, my wife and about half of my work at various points last week?

StuG - I had a similar experience on my bike a while back only about 3 or 4 of them deliberately stepped out yelling at the last moment. My instinctive reaction was to swerve while giving them a piece of my mind, but afterwards I had wished I'd just piled into them although knowing my luck the crash would have wrecked my bike! Twats!!

Discovered an enormous blister each on each of my little toes this morning - the blister on my right little toe is especially huge - it will be so much fun to pop that later!!

On the positive side I cycled into my work and my legs gave me no problem after yesterdays long run, hopefully it looks like I can handle my current routine of 2 days running and 4 on the bike per week but I'll continue that routine for a while before I think about stepping things up.
  • Yow! Page changed dramatically when I hit submit! :/
  • LizzyB - what does a cat going to the toilet look like???!!!

Hey will have hit 200 miles after tomorrow for the year so far!! First milestone...many more to go though!
  • Morning all,
    Another freezin cold day outside, im off to Norfolk for the weekend to run the Southerns at Holken Hall, so will not be back to post until either sunday night or monday.

What:
    am: 5-miles recovery run already done.
    Nice and easy at just over 8mm pace, very icey still so had a few slippery moments, good run though.

Why:
    Easing back for Southerns XC, thats 9.5miles of hell on mud! lol

HILLY:
    I spoke to my coach regarding the Rowing, and he reckoned that Rowing also really works your legs, something he pointed out many people would not actually realise. Think, also it helps co-ordinate different muscle groups into working better together, that last part is my theory ;p

JELLYBEBE:
    Your training sounds very well stuctured, just wondering what time your aiming to achieve at FLM?

• Hiya Micksta - am very lucky to have a great coach and (a co/coach who I also train with as well). The schedule helps me no end cos without it I either go out and run 70mile junk mileage weeks or I miss runs so with my new job coming up it is great that I have something I have to stick to as am generally pretty good at doing what I am told.

I want to run a sub 3:15 at London really and have had to sacrifice some other races I had entered but London is the most important thing to me so I dont mind. If I break 3:15 I get the championship start for next year and then I want a good crack at it. I have a wonky donkey leg which I am having treated at the moment but is likley to take around 10 months now to recover but physio says there is no reason I cant make a full recovery and should see me running significantly faster afterwards so I am looking forward to that! This year is my prep year and I want to have a good crack at things next year.
  • Morning all,

What: Easy 4 miles
    Why: Still taking it easy after the Mara
    Last Hard: Sunday

Off to Tobago for the weekend to meet some friends over from England, so probably won't be posting.

Have a great weekend, race, train and recover well.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    micksta, do you really think southerns will be hell on mud? Studs or spikes??? Am off to Norfolk too!
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    Morning! I may not be at home, but they have computers up here too!

What: Lots of swimming this morning
    Why: Only went and forgot my flippin' trainers, didn't I?!
    Last hard: Coming round to the thought of not running for 3 days in.
    Last rest: Yesterday (too busy to run)

Podro - lol at your plane experiences!
    200 - fantastic training from you. Well done on 18 miles! I didn't realise you were going so far on your long runs - it seems to be built up very quickly!
    JB - I am interested in your wonkly leg! I have a wonky knee too and though I don't think rest or not effects it so much, I do notice if I have problems it tends to be on my wonky side. Have you had problems that have eased off with 2 rest days? Hope your new job lends itself to plenty of training time! Your mileage sounds very impressive without doubles too! 5 day weeks and 50 miles!!! Good for you!

Right - a bit of study before the next dress fitting......
  • to get onto a different page.
  • Better.

Have been training just not foruming.

Rest day today though, because a) thats what Friday is and b) seem to have tweaked my hip running on the treadmill.

Hope everybody is ok and will attempt some sort of a read back at the weekend.
  • mavamava ✭✭✭
    good afternoon all.

Not read back yet.

What: 3.5 miles d&d at the best pace I've managed for a long, long time. :-)
    Why: trying to build miles slowly
    Last hard: that hill again today

Back later.
  • Afternoon

JB - sub 3:15 is an excellent target to aim for. Out of interest what are your times over shorter distances? Btw what would 70 `junk' miles look like?

What: 10 miles on treadmill gym
    Why: so I could be with and support the one I love

• Afternoon,

Lyrics - yep - easy for a mid-forties male who grew up listen to a diet of prog rock and then more prog rock. Still love this album, even after listening to it for over 33 years! Not continously.

For cross country runners, a lyric from the same album could be "The lunatic is on the grass".

What: rest
    Why: Friday
    Last hard: pushed quite hard on both Wed & Thu
    Last rest: Tues with poorly ankle

Last night's 10K was pretty much all at a good tempo pace, apart from mile 5 which is almost all uphill and where my brain switched off and I let my body make the decision about pace - slowed right down.

Weekend's runs are swapped around due to visiting friends on Sunday, so will be out for 10 miles tomorrow am.
  • Hi all

Not had time to read back properly but gather that Podro had a bit of a time lapse!

Picked up something about cats going to the toilet or cats toilets, cats and aeroplanes, bliters and aeroplanes, lizzyb and cats?? Must read back later!

IW - sorry to hear your still full of the lurgy, hope you feel better soon.

Hilly - sorry about your injury, hope it heals as soon as for you and doesn't create a problem too much with your FLM plans.

Velicoraptor - hope its not the shins.

I did not get a chance to post last night but did do

5 miles on tready. Did a tempo run in the end, finding it very difficult to keep to easy running all of the time and tready is so dull! Tempo is more interesting with warm up, tempo, warm down. Will monitor in regard to whether I need to revert back to easy all of the time or whether I can get away with one tempo run a week now. Still sticking to off road for now.

Today will be nothing or cross train at gym. Depends on Mr Scoobs plans. I'll fit in with him this evening as I have a long run scheduled for tomorrow so don't mind either way really.

Take care all, have a good day.
  • Cheers Jen - I am really pleased with how training has been going and havent had any problems with the milage so far and have felt I am capable of much more and coach is makin me hold back on a lot of runs so am very positive at the minute.

Wonky leg - have had various knee problems on and off for years and now eventually someone diagnosed me right. Rest def helps - my rest days work well for me. But then again runnig also helps to loosen. See my right leg is all out of line and the pain in my knee is actually the muscles/ligaments etc etc that are pulling across and rubbing on my knee that causes the pain. So when they are loose the pain goes away. I am having reagular treatment, am strapping my knee across to encourage it to get back in line, am stretching a lot and am seeing a podiatrist to get some orthotics on tuesday which physio says will make a huge difference. My advice is get it checked and treated rather than leave it as mine has been getting worse over the years and if someone had picked up sooner it would be treated much quicker.

one problem however is te strapping stuff seems to bring my knee out in an attractive rash - lovely!!
  • BarnsleyRunner - my half time is 1:28 but I was hoping to break 1:25 early this year but London taken over so will see what shape I am in after that (great or fallen apart) and will take it from there. I havent really raced many distances, am just starting to race properly so havent got many times. Did my first 6 mile race a couple weeks ago and was off the back of a 40 mile week and was delighted to get 39:18 (however the 8 mile run we had to do afterwards wasnt quite so delightful!)

70 mile junk weeks - I just went out and ran at my own pace for a couple of hours here, and hour and a half there, another couple hours. But all just steady paced, humming along to the ipod. No quality running in there at all - was fun though!! (until I got a royal b*llocking the following week when my coach had a sneak at my training diary - oops!) Note to self for future - LIE!
  • Afternoon all

What: 5 miles steady first run of the day
    Why: Buliding miles, lucky to have time to run at lunchtime rather than early mornings for double sessions
    Last Hard: Last night
    Last Rest: Monday

Enjoy friday afternoon.
  • JB - there's someone on this forum who managed to go from a 3:26 marathon to a 2:56 marathon without so-called `quality' miles. She just tended to run lots of what your coach would term `junk' miles with very few speed sessions during her training.

So I would think your 70 mile junk weeks actually did you some good, particularly in terms of marathon training.
  • Barnsleyrunner
    A coach at our club recently said to me that if i just moved my mileage up from mid 30's-mid40's to mid 60's without doing anything else my times would drastically reduce, i think i feel the diffence already so i tend to agree with you.
  • Predictable conversation between BR and JB ;-)

Hilly - hope things improve quickly. Doesn't sound like you to be doubt about FLM already, there must be time left to sort things out.

What: rest
    Why: moved planned easy run to tomorrow as JennyD decided to sack Micksta and run with me instead tomorrow. lol
    Last rest: yesterday
    Last hard: wednesday
  • My long run and my one speed session a week presumably count as quality miles, so I'm churning out 35-40 junk miles a week at the moment :o)

It was quite liberating to realise that I could improve on my times just by going out and consistently putting in just 7 hours of steady running a week (I'm doing more because I've got the time and have been able to build up gradually). Nothing clever, nothing technical, and just enough faster sessions to make me look forward to them rather than dreading them.

So far it's been quite effective :o)

I hope not too, Scooby, but if it is I'll just have to deal with it. I've had the niggle for less than 2 weeks and it hasn't become any worse, so there's still a good chance, statistically, that it will go away if I leave it alone.
  • Hilly - hope you recover asap.

What:

Gentle 45 mins this am as had very poor session last night with:

Good warm up of 25 mins including 15 mins jogging, five mins a bit more upbeat i.e. around 4 mins per km then 800 metres in racing flats striding out on the straights. Felt ok.

Then 4 x 800 metres of 2 min recoveries. Aim 2:20-2:30 or as hard as I could at constant pace.

2:27
    2:30
    2:36
    2:34

Highest hr seen was 179. Not good at all.

Jogged for ca 35 mins to warm down.

Only mitigating circumstances I can find, was freezing cold so was running with tights etc and there was some wind on back straight (but not enough to account for difference).

Bit of a mess really. First one felt hard but under control, on rest was not a question of being exhausted just legs would not go as fat as I wanted them,

Simon
  • What: Rest
    Why: Still full of cold

Hope to get out again tomorrow (fingers crossed!)

Question - as a relative newbie I don't understand all the abbreviations used on here! What is a D&D?

Have a great Friday!!!
  • Hi Hoggle I am a newbie to this thread but I THINK that its Done and Dusted. If you are on any threads with Mick and Phil you soon have to learn the jargon - they come out with some right ones.

Me and my friend use messenger and we have these ones:

LOL - laugh out loud
    ROFL - Rolling on floor laughing
    PMP - poo my pants
    IYSWIM - if you see what I mean
    DYKWIM - Do you know what I mean
    BRB - Be right back
    BTW - By the way
    TMI - Too much information

I cant think of any more - hope your cold is better soon and everyone else who has the snuffleS!
  • Hi JB

(See I'm getting into it already!)
    Thanks for that - here was I thinking it was soem kind of training technique! Not very quick on the uptake obviously!

I really like ROFL! My friend uses HBD (hot boss day) for when her boss is in the office!

• I like that one - Ill try remember that! Oh and I use this one a lot

WWOTW - Wicked witch of the west (my soon to be ex work colleage)

Also YNWhat and YNWho - you know what and you know who. Was emailing my friend about the job I had been offered without anyone twigging!
  • I shuld definately start using some of those! My friend and I are definately not subtle enough in some of our emails!
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Greetings all,

What - 6m steady (raming up speed every 2m)

Why - Felt good and more miles

Last Hard - Yesterday

Last Rest - Tues

other terms -

FOW - Funny old world....
    JDI - Just do it (or if angry JFDI - no prizes for the F - well used in work).

Take care