Friday 26th January 2007

Comments

• BR - must be love for sure, 10 miles on a tready!

I like the more miles argument, it got me from 4:27 to 3:51 in 12 months, can't remember who mentioned it first ;o). Still can't get my head around how any miles run could be classed as junk.
  • Is anyone here doing the Southern XC tomorrow??
  • drewdrew ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

I think we've had a few discussions about junk miles over the years. They all add up, although I have my doubts about the value of doing an extra 1 or 2 mile run just to reach a specific weekly target!

Today's session:

What: 11 miles steady, including 25 minutes of Kenyan Hills
    Why: schedule was for 11 miles but I thought I'd make it a little more interesting. The hill I use for this session is off road, 495m long and rises 30m. Aim was to keep HR constant. Going up took 2:40 (ave HR 142), coming down 1:50 (average HR 139).
    Last hard: today wasn't really hard but it is the hardest session this week.
  • is anyone doing the Midland XC tomorrow ?

Vrap, not sure of the statistics of your shin going away by itself ?. And then you still say you are going to do 21ml this evening, tho earlier in the week you were making sure yopu'd recovered from BM.. I reckon you should get someone (:-) )to do some treatment on that calf, BEFORE it interferes with your training. And at least get out those new shoes.

WhaT; am: 7ml easy later 4-5 ml
    Why: I;m feeling quite tired, presumably from my wieghts session yesterday, and XC race tomorrow
  • DMBLBIT - Does My Bum Look Big In This - sent with picture messages of new dress wife/girl friend is thinking of buying.

FUBAR - same F as before Up Beyond All Recognition - as in "My project has gone FUBAR".
  • Afternoon all,

HF: Welcome. Sticking with training? As Zatopek said "If one can stick to the training throughout the many long years, then will power is no longer a problem. It's raining? That doesn't matter. I am tired? That's besides the point. It's simply that I just have to." If you find out how to shift the weight, let me know. I'm still carrying several christmas puddings!

SG: The thing that really annoys me about people (and I use the term in it's loosest sense) who hassle runners is they think their comments are so original, and you've never heard such scintilating wit before.

WP: Good news from the fizz. Are you planning on doing FLM?

NZC: What with work and commuting, I'm out of the house 13 hours a day. Most races are on Sunday mornings, and Mrs AF likes to go to church, so it's only fair I spend some time with her before dissapearing for a long run. I also think it helps not to race too much if you focus on the Marathon, although I've just entered the Bramley 20 on 25th Feb to see how the training's going. How do I keep focus? See the Zatopek quote above. The current P&D training schedule is 18 weeks.

BR: Running with Treadmill again?

Lyrics: We've had this one a few times now, but you can never have enough of it!

WTFIOAR - another fave of the thread - where is URR? (and melli, minks, nrg-b...)

What: 11m general aerobic. first half felt a chore, second half really clicked for the 1st time this year. Must be all those junk miles I've been doing for the past 276 days :-)
    Why: P&D
    Last Hard: N/A
    Last Rest: 276 days

Have a good weekend!
  • Afternoon

AF- No I am not doing FLM although have a place will defer as I allowed myself to be persuaded to run Rome, only as a see if my achilles will hold up to 26.2 miles again.Goal is just to get around comfortable with as little damage to my body as possible.Oh and a bit of shopping whilst I am there;-)

what: 4.5 miles easy
    Why: 3 hours sleep as legs so achy after Physio and so dead this morning even thought this easy run was silly.
    But had the best run in ages legs felt springy and a PB for route and no pain from calf or achilles:-))

A wee bit tired I feel one of my naps is coming on:-)
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • WP, is one of my stern looks in order?

How does PB for route fit in with 'easy'?
    Or is it a best pace for a given easy HR on that route?
  • What: 8.2 miles including alternating kms at 10k and easy pace.
    Why: Longer run, but work stopped me having enough time for a long run.

I was hoping for 10ish, but work intervened and I lost 20 minutes or so of lunch :(

Still found a new route with some interesting undulations and new greenery and managed to hit all the faster 5ks at around the target of 4:40 pace.

Have a good weekend all

Dave
  • Veliciptrohelicopter - oh I can never spell that word! Get the massage oil out and grit teeth. That's been helping me, well that and ice. Shin loves ice. I'm seeing physio next week for some treatment. Going to ask about some deep tissue massage too and the benefits of such? Certainly eases (although painful at the time) with self massage. Best of luck.
  • AF - Exactly. What's that old and best one I keep hearing? Oh yes.. "keep on running" (usually sung). How very original.

I get angry quite easily at these people but I don't let it ruin a run. As much a I'm fuming, I'm not going to stop and cause hassle because that would be quite pathetic of me really. Something would really have to push me to do that, and thankfully the usual comments I can stand.
  • I dream of running regularly but have to make do with rowing and biking at the moment. By way of an update, I went to the doctors on Wednesday and she has referred me to a podiatrist to see about things and also said that if I want to go ahead with the 'painful' cortisone injection into my heel, I have to make another appointemnt for that to be done.

I have decided that this will be a last resort if things don't improve with my Orthaheels that I am currently wearing in my shoes and trainers. I've tried a trot or two on the treadie and there's been a mixed reaction of stiffness (afterwards) or mild pain during the sessions. The pain is less in the mornings so maybe that's a good sign and I'm still rolling that flippin' golf ball!

The only problem I can see is that I'm exercising like a dervish and am getting used to not running much - which isn't too bad, I suppose, as I am liking this biking lark! There are other reasons for not being too bothered about not running that those that know me will understand.

What: rest day
    Why: cos I feel that I deserve it!

See y'all around!
  • SG: "The marathon went that way mate!" Is another of my favorites.

FL: I'm using a new stretch for PF which seems to help. Sit down and put your foot on the opposite thigh. Then pull you're toes back towards the shin (really pull - I use both hands) and hold for a count of 10. Repeat 10 times.

• D&D = done and dusted.

LOL at Veliciptrohelicopter

Has Minks had her baby yet? Can anyone remember when it is due? Must be soon.

What: short swim, poss short bike if I can fit it in.
    Why: schedule but manic week with conference
    Most sore part: left ankle.

Good runnings all.
  • Minks has 5 weeks to go until she is 40 weeks
    she is fine

Over and out
  • Hello

What: Rest day 1st in 2 weeks
    Why: NoE xc Champs tomorrow. Manchester.

Last Hard: over a week ago.
  • I did 17 miles today as a sort of compromise - wanted something I could call a long run, but it was quite mentally laborious so I decided to quit well before I started to grind to a shuffle. Average pace was OK. Some of the splits were slower than my target range, but they reflected the terrain.

TmR, you're right, of course. And my shin didn't so much as whimper all the time I was running, though I can make it hurt now by pressing hard in a localised area.

Scooby, I might just take your advice about the massage :o)
  • Hello again

Nice night for a run tonight,

What: 6 miles easy - though the first 3 uphill but felt ok.
    Why: Second run of the day, felt good. (11 miles for the day)
    Last Hard: Last night
    Last rest: Monday

Top training everybody, keeping an eye on your training really motivates me to push myself a wee bit. Good luck to any weekend racers and healing vibes to the injured.
  • What: 6 miles easy
    Why: Recovery day, and have a race on saturday.
    Last hard: Wednesday
    Last rest: 26 days
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Stuart.. I agree with your sentiments. I usually have a few choice one liners ready for the heckling youth of today. The last time I was jeered at by a bunch of teens my response was along the lines of ..'rare to see so much pond life at this time of year'.

Such dedication BR. Did you hold the door of the gym open for the good lady?

JB.. best of luck with the sub 3:15 attempt, hope the leg survives the training. If you are starting off green do say hello!

20 mile bike commute followed by 5 mile easy run.
  • Evening peeps.

StuartG: Was in a race at Batersea Park a few years ago, when a 'smart teen' was standing in the road, forcing people to dodge him. I just kept on going and at the last minute he realised I wasn't dodging. He ended up in a puddle to the amusement of his 'mates' and other runners!

Xerxes: Liked the Visage 'Fade to Grey'.

Scobos. Realised it wasn't you yesterday I passed. Where in Erskine did you stay ?
    Have a good one tomorrow.

Night peeps.
  • I got a nice heckle today.

I was coming to the end of my run and as I passed him a man stopped, clapped his hands and told me I was doing really well :o)

Much appreciated, since I had had a very patchy run!
  • Got out for a steady 7 miler; felt really nice to be out on a Friday night running through the town centre in publand.

I'm really glad I had my mp3 player on rather loud to drown out the heckles.......
  • evening

yep that's exactly the right approach Birkmyre. Never yet met a heckler who was immune to steady eye contact and 69kg of sweaty runner advancing on him (or her) at upwards of 8mph.

what: 6.4 miles in 46:31
    why: recovery programme continues

That's actually the longest of the year so far for me. 9 days to my league race - running out of time for finding any speed from anywhere.
  • JB / BR ... interesting comments on upping the miles. I have upped mine a bit recently from mid 40s and the odd 50 in marathon training to alternating 60 - 65 one week and 45 - 50 the next .... and I feel it is making a difference despite not worrying about pace.

What: 10 miles on tready
    Why :- enable me to hit the weekly target tomorrow !
  • Similarly I have been able to report that I'm getting to grips (touch wood) with the 60 mile weeks. My diary tells me that I did not do consistent 60 milers in any previous build up. I've now done them every week since Christmas, so that will be 5, and I've been able to include a 20 mile day each week. Interestingly there's always been a rest day in each one too.

Faster sessions have shown good form as a result.

I asked around and got a variety of opinions. When I checked in detail with the base mileages that my target marathoners were achieving, the answer was consistent. GYAOTD. Get your a... out the door. Or was it PTFMI. Put the flipping miles in. I'm going to hold steady on 60 for a bit, with the weekly 20 as opposed to fortnightly. I seem to be just about coping with it at present, and don't want to go ping.

You be careful Hilly, I know that you will, but I'm thinking of you too.

What: yesterday: 6.5 miles flying along, made my shins ache. And other bits too.
    Today: 11 miles, at 8m/m.
    Big run tomorrow needed to get to the 60 week.
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    race report from the 5K I did not do today AHEM

17.31 official time timed at 17.30.22 and 5.02 on the garmin

splits

Happy with the time and no doubt I could have pushed a little more, makes my sub 17 target a little more believable

Nice to meet you JEJ
  • None of today's threads seem to work, so posting on yesterday's seems to be the best option?

Currently have no heating or hot water, but plumber thinks he'll be finished by lunch time. Hope to get out for an easy run this afternoon, looks nice out there at present.