Running to work

2»

Comments

• Hi
    I leave all my suits at work and shirts and 2 pairs of shoes. I lugged them all in on the train once. I then dryclean them when they need to be washed. All you need to run in with is your undies and socks. I change back into my run gear to go home. It makes work feel like work and time at home rest time. I use a deuter back pack (i have 2 different sizes) and they have a wee raincoat that you put on to to them if it snows like today.
    It seemed difficult to start with but now i am totally used to it and all my work mates just see it as my 'mode' of transport.
    Pens
  • This seems like one of those logic puzzles where you have to get the lion, the goat and the oats across the river in the minimum number of trips!

I live eight (very hilly) miles from work, and I'd be happy to run one way (preferably IN, rather than BACK), but the catch is that there is no convenient public transport route, so I HAVE to use the car.

I suppose I could do:

Day 1: Drive in (leave car at work)
    Run home
    Day 2: Run in
    Drive home
    (Repeat ad injuriam)

The only trouble is that I would always *have* to do an eight-miler the morning immediately after doing another one - I can't choose to drop the "Day 2" run in, e.g. for a minor injury, as the car is still eight miles away!

Hmmmm.....

Mike

• Don't do it. Get a bike and burn your way through the traffic to work and back - then when you get home, you're nicely warmed up for a run. Miss Neighbours/ The Simpsons/ Hollyoaks/ New at Ten (delete as appropriate) and off you go. Then the evenings your own.

Incidentially, I wear my shirt and trousers on the bike. They only smell after the ride home, but it has the added plus point of keeping Mrs.Chimps attentions away from me, thus releasing me to run out straightaway!
  • Get a smelly job like mine where I try not to contaminate my relatively clean running gear with my disgusting work attire. I have to wash before the run home at night.

My commuting run is at least 7 miles depending on route taken so its a little too far for everyday and both to/from journeys. PParticularly considering my job has a significant manual element to it.

I do the leaving stuff at work bit myself, but not the car. I do the opposite journey by train when I run. Is using public transport an option or do you not mix with the great unwashed?
  • Some interesting stories on how we commute and run.
    My storey:
    I live 4 miles from where i work.Ive been there 15 years but only started running 6 years ago.I see myself lucky not having to wear a suit,shirt and tie.I work on the shopfloor in a large car factory,so wear supplied overalls.The company provide personal lockers,changing facilities,showers for both male and female and and an up to date gym,all free to use by the workforce.
    I combine running,cycling and a shared lift to and from work.As you can see I have the use of personal lockers to store any running,shower gear.
    It suits me fine the routine ive got when im training for races.
    My work also means im on my feet for almost all of my shift,so I drink lots of water and eat well all thru the shift.
  • I cycle to work 2 or 3 days a week and run in my lunch hour. The commute is 11 miles each way and the run 3.2 miles.

I cycle with a backpack and use an Eagle Creek trouser/shirt pack thingy. You folder up your trousers and shirt using the supplied flexi board, place your clothes into the packer and fold the four sides over which are velcro'd then slide it into your rucksack. People have actually asked how look so smart. I do leave a pair of shoes under my desk. I'd suggest having a couple of spare shirts/trousers in a spare Eagle Creek packer for the days you run in. We have a shower but I'd need innoculations to us it so I just freshen up in the sink of the changing rooms. No one has said I smell yet.
  • I also leave a variety of working clothes at work and then I just carry a clean top and undies in my rucksack.

I use a Karrimor Elite rucksack which is fantastic for running and I would wholeheartedly recommend it for the daily commute. Ialso use it for my long runs especially when I go off into the hills.

However, I mostly only run into work (about 6 miles) and then bus home, so I have to change back into my smelly running gear for the bus journey (which is probably really unpleasant for my fellow commuters) and carry the washing home. I top up the work gear when I remember but I have ended up having to go to the nearest M&S when I've run in and forgotten that all the work clothes are in the wash.

It's definitely worth all the hassle though. My route is largely off-road and the run in puts me in a good frame of mind for the rest of the day even if it's pouring rain.
  • 2 days a week I run home after getting the bus or train into work. I leave my work clothes for that day locked in a large drawer or cupboard then take them home in my backpack when I cycle home the next day - unfortunately this makes for a fairly heavy backpack on Wednesday & Friday! Always leave work shoes locked away at office overnight. My office is fairly relaxed about clothes, so I can get away with jumper over shirt on the days I cycle in & clothes get a bit creased in my backpack! Running home has got to be the easier option!
  • Oh yes we have a washing machine and tumble dryer within the paint shop where I work.Its mostly used for gloves,cloths.I put my running gear in after ive ran into work.Its nice and dry and fresh at the end of my shift.
  • Chimp wrote:

Don't do it. Get a bike and burn your way through the traffic to work and back - then when you get home, you're nicely warmed up for a run.

Never in a million years. I don't "do" bikes, and never will until they (a) flatten out West Yorkshire, AND (b) ban all motorised traffic from the roads. And I certainly can't be doing with all that fartarsing around with punctures, chains, gears and what-have-you.

Running shoes - low maintenance :~)

Mike
  • After looking at what I have spent in 2006 on my weekend mountain bikes, my commute bike and my running I am starting to agree. Far too many near misses with drivers still waking up on the commute. Far too many mechanical failures in the run up to or during mountain bike races. Nothing to report in the running front except a couple of pairs of shorts, T shirts and one XC pair of trainers. And then there's the prep time.....

But I do like my bikes.