Saturday session

What: nothing.
Why: Feel tired and HR still much higher than usual. Quality rather than quantity is my new motto; hopefully will be able to do 10 miler tomorrow in preparation for 1/2m next weekend.
Last hard: Tues.
Last rest: yesterday.

Have a good weekend all.

Comments

• What: zilch
    Why: Caldy 2nd XI (3rd place in League) v Maghull 2nd XI (just ahead in 2nd place) with only 2 teams to be promoted at the end of the season.
    Last hard day: Wed
    Last rest day: Mon
  • What: 8 miles fartlek
    Why: Saturday is weekly light speed session
    Last hard day: Thursday tempo run
    Last rest day: Monday last week

18 miles tomorrow and I'll have run an 82 mile week - my longest ever. is this wise? I don't know - I have to say I'm feelng much better on this much higher mileage than I did on my old 50 mile weeks. how long will it last though?
  • drewdrew ✭✭✭
    Achilles, what sort of times are you doing and has the extra mileage led to improvements?
  • Coco-CatCoco-Cat ✭✭✭
    What: rest.
    Why: 10 mile race tomorrow in preparation for Robin Hood half in two weeks' time.
    Last hard day: yesterday
    Last rest day: Monday
  • What: 5 mile easy
    Why: To try out a new pair of shoes
    Last hard day: Thursday
    Last rest day: yesterday
    16 miles tomorrow, just to carry on getting ready for the Dublin marathon at the end of October, my first one. Anyone else run there?
  • what - hope to get a steady 5 in tonight
    why - had terrible week - lots of travelling and only done 2 by 3 miles this week - so I'm treating this as a step back rest week - instead of 20 will try for 15 or 16.
    last rest - Friday
    last hard - last sunday
  • What: 12M long run. [nearly as short a my LSD's get].
    Why: Great South Run next weekend so I thought I would get it done a day early as I've no speadwork to do this weekend. Easing down I seam to have loads of spare time on my hands. It was nice to get out in the countryside as the sun was sinning & a nice cool breeze blowing.
    Last hard: Thurs
    Last rest: Fri

Achilles, my running really improved when I upped the mileage but you do need a rest at some point. I plan to do a spring marathon next year I will be doing 100+ weeks. In the hope I can reach my marathon potential. I do enjoy training hard, if I didn't I would not do it. I hope all your hard work pay's off.
  • What: 6 Miles, as easy as I can go (which ain't that easy!)
    Why: complete rest day yesterday, so wanted to get some running in, training for 10k
    last hard day: Thursday
    last rest day: yesterday

Went on XC run with some lads from the club on Thursday, aggravated my knee a lil', but having said that, there appears to be no long term repercussions. Also, improved my pace from the last XC run by quite a bit, and it felt just as easy! My easy running pace is getting faster as well (i.e. I'm finding myself casually batting off sub 7 minute miles on my shorter runs, without actually having to try too hard). Sometimes its amazing what a REDUCED volume can actually do for your training.

Drew is right Achilles. Miles for miles sake can be a bad idea. I got caught in this trap when training for my marathon (oh, one more run and I can get my first 70 mile week in, etc), but I didnt really see any drastic improvements, certainly not the ones that seem to be materialising at the mo, on the afforementin reduced mileage. Having said that, I still believe that building an endurance base is CRITICAL for any distance race. Just that sometime 2-3 hour runs would be better replaced by a 1 to 1.5 hour run @ race pace. Just a thought...
  • Achilles, Big Tim, you're both MAD. All that running...I mean, it can't be good for your joints. You'll waar out your knees. You'll get cancer from the free radicals. You'll bust your food budget fuelling up unless you do the butter-in-the-porridge thing that cross-country skiers do. The grapes are sour. Seriously, big respect from a raptor who hasn't run a mile all week.

Today: 6.6 mile run, timed. Swim to follow if domestic commitments permit.

Why: Just back from hols. Climbed Snowdon TWICE (it's not a long story, but it's not interesting enough to be worth telling) with Kevin the Teenager - we didn't rush, but we took about 2hrs 15min for each ascent, which is a fair bit quicker than the guidebooks say, and fairly pelted past the other walkers. Walked a lot, swam a bit, but didn't run. Trying to catch up on washing etc. now. Anyone who says housework can be aerobic exercise is either a liar or a disciple of my local community dietitian.

Last hard day: Ummmm.....

Last rest day: Yesterday.

Cheers, V-rap. Glad to be back!
  • Welcome back Vrap. I was just thinking of you! I seemed to sort the pins and needles thing (from the old forums) with different lace tying over my very high instep. I suppose my ankles are getting stronger too.
  • BarklesBarkles ✭✭✭
    What : Early morning cycle ride, then back to cook brekkie for the Barkles bunch.
    Why : Energy rush - body needs extra work.
  • What: 16.5 mile hilly, on road, with impromptu fartleks caused by tractors and a sheepdog. The conditions were ideal and the views were so good I almost forgot I was working hard.

Why: I wanted to get an over distance in before Vyrnwy in two weeks and I haven't done many long runs over the hols.

Last rest day: yesterday, just an hour walking the dog and I was knackered.
  • Barkles - you did it all wrong. I overslept so I didn't get out until 9, got back at 11.15, had breakfast, and lunch an hour later - now that's service (doesn't happen often mind)

That reminds me - I'm hungry again!
  • What: er, a massage!

Why: tomorrow is the Flora Light Challenge, and I needed to relax my shoulders prior to being pitted against ladies armed with prams as battering rams!

Interesting field for the Elite part of the race, including Sonia o'Sullivan. No Paula, alas.

DC
  • What: Very easy 4 mile jog
    Why: half marathon race tomorrow
    Days since rest: yesterday
    Days since hard: two

Not really feeling that well rested but don't feel like dropping too much mileage this week. Two more weeks high mileage (hopefully) then perhaps gradual taper to marathon. Really want a PB tomorrow though and ideally sub 1:33 - lets see how it goes, will report on Monday.
  • These hills really work, don't they!

I did my timed "quarter-marathon" circuit in 67 minutes - five and a bit minutes faster than my previous "new" PB - despite having to stop to retie a shoelace and being unlucky with the traffic lights at several busy junctions. More importantly from a psychological point of view, I did it all, including the undulations, without walking.

Now sent Mr V-rap and Kevin the Teenager out with orders not to return until they have walked 3 miles, and not to hang around looking in shop windows because I need them back in time to let me get round Tesco before it closes.
  • What: 5k Race
    Why: Aiming for my firsat sub-30
    Last session :Tuesday

Didn't make it :-( Finished in 31. It is a PB for me though so I should be pleased. Looking forward to next Sundays 5 miler now...
  • Thanks Drew, Big Tim, Korsa King and V-rap (?!) for your advice and cautions -

I know that in principle you're all right to urge restraint, as I would have done up till now, but the odd fact of the matter is I feel far better on this mileage, for the time being, that I've felt for a long time at lower weekly distances. And I don't really know why this is.

By rights I should definitely be feeling the dreaded symptoms of over-training, but I actually can't wait to get out there and run harder and longer - yup, this way madness lies, for sure. I actually feel stronger and quicker than I have for a long time, so I basically just going to milk it for as long as I can and hope to catch the signs of over-training in time - that's the theory anyway!

Drew - I ran FLM 2002 in 2:55 which was a PB (previously 3:01 at Dublin last year) and am aiming to do Abingdon at the end of October in 2:50 which, unless I get seriously injured or ill, looks like it's on the cards from my interval times - with a view to running sub-2:45 at FLM 2003???!!! Hey, you know, you gotta dream, else what's it all about? s.
  • Thats fairplay mate, I also felt like that at points in my marathon training too, but do remember, the stopwatch doesn't lie. If you find your easy or hard runs are getting slower on the same percieved effort, backing off a little (i.e maintaining mileage for a week or two rather than increasing) wont do any harm. The Daniel's school of thought reckons that the best way to assimilate the benefits of an increased mileage is to only increase the mileage 1 in 3 weeks. That way you maintain the quality as well. I wish I had the patience to practice what I preach! :)
    P.S. Darn good time by the way!, lets hope you can get that championship qualifying time (crossed-fingers) come 2003. Its one of my dreams too!
  • What: Gym session (including 5K with new PB of 36 mins 20 secs

Why: Beacause I hadn't been (or run) since Monday

Last Hard day: Monday

Last Rest: All week