Washing shoes in the washing machine

2»

Comments

• Options
    SAFERSAFER ✭✭✭
    Catwalk models or road rage runners?

I rest my case!
  • Options
    I put my non running trainers in the dish washer, more to save the washing machine than anything else (no bumping around!) and it does no harm.
  • Options
    I wear asics 2010's and recently washed a pair in the machine. After they were dry and ran 5 mile in them and ended up getting injured. I will never wash shoes in a machine again.
    I was told never to wash them as it can damage the soles and EVA cushioning. They told me this in the Sweatshop were i purchase my running shoes.
    So try not to wash them and stay injury free!
    kev
  • Options
    No no no! Don't wash them! Shoes aren't made for the washing machine, especially not trainers.
  • Options
    I heard that it doesnt matter if your shoes get dirty or smelly, so long as you allow them to dry fully (not one a radiator though) for 48 hours. Its a good idea to stuff newspaper in them.

As for the washing machine, thats a no-no as far as Im concerned.
  • Options
    "My missus washes these every week, (sometimes every few days), on a short cold water rinse cycle." Blimey NRG sometimes I dont wash my socks that often! certainly neevr wash runners they just get dirty and wear out so dont see the point. Only thing I ever clean are my cross country spikes and then its just a hose off in the shower and let them dry on a coolish radiator.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Kev.. serves you right for forgetting to iron them before the run {O:
  • Options
    nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    My pumas and NB150s have very little EVA cushioning. The uppers are made of mesh fabric.

Even with regular cold-water washing plus a little soap-powder, I've lost count how many miles I've run in them. I've had the current pair for about 1.5+ years perhaps. Still in v. good shape. I'm sure they'll last till summer and then I'd use them on the treadmill.
  • Options
    First of all what is wrong woth dirty shoes.

Puddles and streams are perfect for cleaning them...

Seriously though it shouldn't be a problem. Be carefull with some Nike air shoes as they use PU foam which falls apart once the water gets in.

• Options
    My trainers ended up being so ripe that they went in the machine a couple of times. It totally trashed the cushioning and felt like i was running in clogs. Painful.
  • Options
    As has been said before, even if using the washing machine causes no visible damage, the midsole (the white foam providing the bulk of the shoe's cushioning) gets completely saturated with water, degrading the EVA in the shoe and therefore you're asking for problems. Your fashion shoes? Do what you like! Your running shoes? Why spend £60-£130 on a running shoe, only to destroy the main functional part of it that provides protection for your feet?