Illness before marathon

I have been training for Rome Marathon which takes place on 23 March, since December. I started from a running base of 25 miles per week and have increased this to 50 miles including a long Sunday run (longest 3hr 20m). However during the last 2 weeks my mileage has tapered off to 25 miles a week due to tiredness. Now I have bronchitis - tablets are kicking in, however I have not run since last Wednesday. Intend to have a trial run this Thursday (all being well), if OK, to do a long run on Sunday. This will leave me the two weeks to taper down.
Will I be OK to do the marathon not having trained fully the last 2 weeks?

Comments

• Sorry to hear you are not too well, having bronchitis will have taken alot out of you. I would ensure you are more or less fully recovered before doing any serious training. Try walking briskly for 20 to 30 mins, if you feel fine try a very short slow run.

You sound as though you have a good base of training and you could do the marathon but only if you a fully recovered, have your GP listen to you lungs before deciding whether to go ahead with the marathon.

Good luck and hope you feel better soon.
  • Thanks for the advice. Third day on anti-biotics but still don't think that they have 'kicked in yet'. Was hoping that I would feel better today and was planning a gentle 4-5 miles tomorrow but now that is looking unlikely. Will see how I feel tomorrow and perhaps try to run/walk a little on Friday.
    Will keep you posted as to if I do the marathon!
  • Some wise commentator once said that you can line up for a marathon only 90% fit, but you must be 100% healthy otherwise the marathon monster will find you out and gobble you up.
  • Jayne - Is this your first marathon? If it is then my advice would be don't underestimate it, it will put a hell of a strain on your body and if you're not fully recovered could become a very unpleasent experience.

If you do decide to do it then place the emphasis on fun i.e. getting to the finish in good shape and leave yourself the option of bailing out if feeling poorly.
  • I didn't run or do any exercise for the two weeks prior to London last year due to a stinking cold - the worst I'd had for years. It cleared a couple of days before the run and I felt OK to give it a go but I was definitely weekened and suffered badly for 18 miles onwards. It depends on your expectations - if you are concerned about the time then you may be disappointed but if you just want to complete as you've done the training then see how it goes. Good luck.