Elliptical trainers - any good?

Having dived into my cross training programme, I'm fairly certain that cycling will give me the upper leg strength I need and rowing more upper body but I certainly notice that both don't really exercise the claves. In essence I need some cross cross training!!!

When I make my running return I want to be in as close to running shape as possible and have heard that ellipticals are a good running simulation - any experience? How do they compare to say stair climbers?

Comments

• fat facefat face ✭✭✭
    I used elliptical trainers quite extensively
    when attempting to keep in some sort of shape when I was injured at the beginning of last year. I haven't really used stair climbers so I can't compare the two, however, within 2-3 months after returning to running I was getting very close to my PB's. One thing to watch out for on ellipticals is numb feet!! I loosen off my trainers (so much so that they might as well be undone) and do 5 mins backwards for every 10 mins forwards. This solves the problem for me.
  • they are realy good for eliptical training on but dont try rowing on them (not so good)

:o)

Sorry could no resist
  • fat facefat face ✭✭✭
    and we all know what Cougies mate Helen would reckon!!
  • MartinH

I posted once before on this. elipiticals allow you to do some really good interval sessions and are closer to running than biking. BUt I don't reckon they do much for your calves. I cross trained for a month in december before a 4 mile race and the latter did for my calves for a week.

echo the numb feet thingy
  • mulemule ✭✭✭
    I found the action on the ellipticals very unnatural. They gave me knee pain so I stopped using them. Hope you have better luck.

• They've been excellent for me when I've been injured. Numb foot - yes, it's the forward pressure of the foot under that loop thing, but I found that slipping my foot out a tad was enough to prevent problems. Unnatural action - again, yes, I could barely work the thing at all at first, but you get used to it and after a while you eventually approximate a running stride pretty well when in sync with the machine. I'd say it is a good calf workout, not as good as running cos of the much lower impact, but maybe you could do some work on the calf whatsit machine or the leg press.

So anyway, I vote it a "hit".
  • I would also vote elliptical trainers a "hit". Although I do use them for recovery sessions after a hard race so I am not too sure if they would markedly exercise leg muscles (probably would if I racked up the intensity). They are great for recovery sessions since you lose the pounding effect of running. The one I like to use has a ramp which can go up or down thus exercising different leg muscles in different positions. This a far more effective than a stairclimber which only works one group of muscles. Once you get used to the action elliptical trainers can be great fun and will help to maintain some level of fitness.
  • About the calf muscles and elipticals.
    When you run you tend to use the soleous or upper calf and the eliptical tends to use the gastrowhatever or lower calf.

I too have used them when injured and have found them very useful.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Like sfh legs used it once doing 10k on it(calves became VERY painful) and couldn't run for a week!