Garmin Forerunner 305.

2»

Comments

• A question to users of sport tracks. I ran some intervals today on accurately measured track. When my watch imports data into the garmin training centre module it shows the correct time per split and distance.

When I import into sportstracks though, i have the correct distance but the wrong time i.e. it always shows about 20 secs longer per split. Anyone any idea why (we were recovering walking for first few secs after interval) but distnace is spot on each time.

If no one knows why/how to stop this. Anyone got idea of how to correct splits timing as do not see way to do it.

Simon
  • I'm delighted with my 205. As far as I could ascertain, there are no functional differences between it and the 305 except for the heart rate monitor, which I don't require.

I would fully recommend eBay seller "gpsonlineshop" who regularly sell the 205 for £122.50 and the 305 for £169 (+£10 in each case for next day delivery).

The only thing I would change about it is the weight. Having said that, it's not unduly heavy, and I'm sure that they will become lighter as subsequent models are released.
  • Martin,

I had a similar choice to you but in the end I went for the Polar RS800SD.

The reliability of the Garmin wasn't good at the time. However, I think they have got better (or people are moaning about them less?). My concern was shelling out over £200 for something which would go belly up after 53 weeks.

Its the mutts nuts really. I alternate my running shoes daily and move the foot pod accordingly.
    The foot pod does not require recalibration between the 2 shoes either. I would also say its more than 99% accurate too. I just need to make sure that I attach the foot pod onto the shoe at the same position for each run. Not at all difficult.

With regards to the HRM, it uses the 2.4 GHz soft wearlink Polar belt (which is NOT compatible with gym equipment) but does not suffer with the spikes and drop outs from the "older" Polar HRMs.

Can be used on the treadmill too. Mo dropouts either etc.

Not cheap, but a quality bit of kit.

Sean.
  • Sean,

Thanks for your thoughts. I have had Polar products for more than 10 years, without any problems.

Concering HR, I was not questioning the qualitiy of Polar, but rather wanted to hear about the shortcomings of Garmin discussed elsewhere...

Do you use Weblink or the supplied training software?

M,
  • Martin,

I use the Polar Pro-Trainer 5 software that comes with the RS800SD.

It is also very good.

One drawback with the Polar series maybe the IR connection to your PC. However, I have been using an old Mobile Action MA-620 IR device that I have had for years that was used for mobile phones etc and it works like a dream.
    Other people have had problems with the IR link.

Sean.