mtb ideas

Thought I'd ask the experts ! We will be going to South Wales for the easter weekend and was wondering if anyone had any top tips for mtbing. We've been to Afan lots of times and Cwmcarn so would like to go somewhere different. Have any of you done any of the Breacons trails or maybe Brechfa Forest ?? Also if you have done the Brecons, is it waymarked or will I have to find an OS map and a compass ?
Any suggestions gratefully received! Also we need to make sure its not too gnarly - its my first proper outing since breaking collar bone mtbing last year so I'd quite like to break myself in reasonably gently...so to speak! We would go to CYB but its too far to drive there and back in a day.

Comments

• What you after rach?

you playing in my neck of the woods now :-)
  • something a bit like afan but we've done the wall so many times now I think I know it off by heart !! My parents still live just outside of cardiff so we were looking for somewhere no more than 2hrs drive from there.
    Love it down your neck of the woods TT - wish we still lived there, much better then stevenage !
    just wondered what Brecon was like - looks good on the web but I was a bit worried about whether it was waymarked- can't be bothered with reading maps when I'm struggling for breath !
  • a lot of the Beacons has the usual mix of bridleways/RUPPs/greenways and is pretty well waymarked - just a question of where you want to go - but like all MTB trips to an "unknown" area, I'd always take a map/GPS just in case those signs disappear, or the weather closes in.............you can never be overprepared for a day in them thar hills...........

loads of MTB routes from gentle to gnarly - just go search the web!

the other thing you could do from Cwmcarn is to haul your ass up onto the top of Mynydd Maen (the mountain it sits under) as there are some bridleways on the top that can take you down into Cwmbran or further along into Pontypool. what you can then do as an easy ride is to cycle back along the Brecon-Monmouthshire canal back to Cwmcarn via the 14 locks at Risca. would make a good day trip!
  • cheers fb - canal trip sounds good for an easy day !!
  • have fun...

I'm from Cwmbran so if you need any help on routes in that valley or the canal - mail me