ARC or UK:A

Comments

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

2 Dinners - I understand that clubs that didn't register any individual members were being told that they had to register their members or face expulsion from EA.   Did your club get such a letter?

At least if you enter the data it should be input correctly.image

While I was waiting for my card and licence number I successfully entered 2 races as affiliated by putting 'awaiting licence from EA' on the entry form.   I do most of my race entries via RW and as yet I haven't been asked for my EA number on the online entry system.

• Shades, my club certainly havent had that letter!  Your point about entering on line goes to prove that a member who choses not to affiliate can still get away with paying the affiliated fee!

2 Dinners,  our members are going to be in the same boat as yours, we didnt register any with EA last year either but have given members the option this year but they have to pay the additional £5 themselves. 

Surely by the time the computer system is up and running there will still be a huge back log of new licenses to issue along with all those that are now due for renewal from last year!

I know its only £5 but for the average Joe Bloggs would like to have something to show for this additional fee when im sure other club members who have not gone down this path will carry on entering as 'affiliated' until such measures are in place to prevent them from doing so!!

Still not happy that i will have to enter all the info myself and will certainly not be happy if i spend precious 'my time' in doing so not for anyones cards to turn up!!!

• SHADES, we got a letter from EA dated 27 July 2007 reminding us we had not paid the affiliation and registration fees that were due on 1st April 2007.  We were told that clubs that didn't pay affiliation and registration fees would be deleted from the affiliation list on 1st October 2007 subject to a decision of the England Athletics Board.  We paid the £50 club affiliation fee in August, but did not send any details of competing members.

Our next letter from EA (dated 19 December 2007) noted that we had not paid any membership fees and advised us that from January 31st 2008 our members would not be eligible for championships or the £2 race discount.  Fair enough, I think, given that we hadn't registered any members.  There was no mention of expulsion in this letter.

In summary, EA threatened to expel us, but didn't go through with it.

• I sent EA details for 73 of our members last year together with £219, but not one of us has yet received a card, so i don't know if their details are on EA's system or not. I take Geri's point that by the time EA sort themselves out they'll have an even bigger backlog of data to process than they and their printers couldn't cope with last year.
  • RRLG appointments

Mr Warner makes it all sound very rosy.

New publication

Make of that what you will..........

• Will be interested to see the magazine, but I can't imagine it's going to have much independant comment or discussion - it's just going to say what UKA & IAAF want it to say.
  • musketeermusketeer ✭✭✭

elected by whom?

Is that the same Mr Taylor of Bath HM ?

• Musketeer Yes. That is right. He was the only candidate for the category Races with over 4000 entrants. Hillary Walker was elected by the clubs and Nigel Jones by the organisers of races with less than 4000 entrants. Geoff Wightman, Mike Summers and Alan Storey were appointed by the Celtic Clubs, England Athletics and UKAthletics. Chris Brasher was appointed by the 6 members of the group.

I fail to understand the purpose of this group. I know there were problems with the Bath Half but generally races seem to be well organised.

• Thinking about it, maybe Mr Taylor is an excellent choice, he will be all too well aware of the challenges of race organisation.
  • hey hey hey! Got my EA card for season 2007/08.... last Friday! (I'm aware that it has already expired. Sigh.)

• WombleWomble ✭✭✭
    Woohoo, me too!!!! With a covering letter dated 28 March mentioning that I would be able to access my details online from November 2007. Well I would have if someone had told me sooner. But they managed to send me junk mail before now, so that was ok.
  • PodroPodro ✭✭✭
    I got my new competition licence for 2007/2008 this weekend. I also received one about 6 months ago so now I have two. They have two different registration numbers on image. I'm just about to ring up to find which one I need to use. The other confusing thing is that I believe this is now the 2008/2009 season isn't it?
  • Seems like they sent out a whole batch of cards at the end of last week, as I and several others from my club got ours at the weekend.

This followed a flurry of emails between EA and myself on Friday pm, the gist of which was -

The printers were blamed for the delays.
    The printers have promised a better service for next year.
    The cards for 2007-8 will be valid until new ones are issued.
    The license number will remain the same.
    One official per club (usually the membership sec) will be able to edit the database for their club's members.
    Each individual will be able to amend their own details using the username & password on their card.
    The club official/membership sec will be able to renew EA membership on behalf of their members.
    No mention of when the database will go live although the club officials will be abal to give feedback to EA so that it can be improved.
    Once payment received by EA for member added to database by club official, that member to receive an email from EA advising membership number and guidance on when they can expect to receive their card.

Only snag for my club is that we only have our members' permission to pass to EA their name, gender, date of birth and contact address. In the original communications from EA it was not stipulated that email address would be a required field. In fact, believe it or not, not everyone has an email address. We would have to go back to our members and formally ask them to permit us to pass on their email details (for those that have an email a/c).

• PodroPodro ✭✭✭
    Just off the phone from EA. Nice lad on the end of it has removed 2 of the 3!! duplicate entries for me allegedly, so I should only receive one card next year. Details are being sent to the printers on Friday and we should all receive our cards several weeks after that.
  • I've kept out of this  but I thought it might amuse you to know that I had my EA card this weekend.  As did my 16 year old son who is no longer with Sale Harriers, has joined an archery club and doesn't want to know about athletics any more!!!  (he enjoyed it while he did it by the way).
  • I've paid for 2 years of this now, still not received anything, still can't see how this benefits me and liked the letter in Athletics Weekly about senior athltics management and the World XC champsimage
  • Ea official  types don't see ARC as much of a threat as only  about 40 clubs haven't  signed up to EA this year.  Only when clubs have the courage of their convictions and affiliate only to ARC will they start to feel threatened.  I just don't see the advantage of affiliating to ARC and then copping out by affiilating to EA to get a license and FLM places and paying ARC all that extra money for no benefit.
  • DS,

Clubs are not copping out as you put it, they are just ensuring the members are not disadvantaged and are able to take part in whatever event they wish. as for having the courage of their convictions  by affiliating to ARC they are making a statement and UKA would do well to take notice.

• I know there are clubs that were scared off joining ARC by all the misinformation and confusion surrounding the whole issue but are none the less very unhappy with the cards dealt them by UKA, so reading the recent posts of licence issues if those clubs are in the same sort of position then the future could hold more clubs affiliating to ARC and more clubs making ARC their sole affiliation.

In the end it will be a case of who delivers.

image sorry, the 'cards dealt' was purely metaphorical!!

• Generally clubs who have affiliated to ARC and have also affiliated to EA have only registered with EA those members who race a lot and want EA registration to avoid paying the £2 unattached levy on EA races. Without their affiliation to ARC and the security of the ARC insurance they would be compelled to register with EA all their members who compete in any event during the year under UKA Rules. Otherwise EA and their insurers could say that they are not affiliated to EA as they have failed to pay the correct affiliation fee.

ARC has already affiliated 12 new members for 2008 -2009 and has permitted 60 races after 1st April 2008. EA has no future. It is entirely dependent on Government funding which is likely to be savagely slashed as the credit crunch bites. Much better to support a prosperous viable volunteer run organisation which is owned by the road running clubs.  

• The only person that I know who has not got an affiliation cards is me!

As soon as I heard about the flurry of cards being sent out I emailed both CEO's (UKA EA) and I have been promised that no more will be sent. I was already embarrased over the way in which it has been handled and I am even more so after the weekend.

I took a decision not to bitch about ARC and its misinformation, so although I am trying to hold back once again Michael comes out with a lot of misinformation about the registeration scheme and bringing a little bit of misinformation about funding and the situation relating to insurance.

Michael you do your thing and please do not try and second guess what is happening within the NGB and the government re-funding. As for the insurance issue you are once again completely wrong and I can only assume as you keep telling every one, you have many years of experience withn the Insurance industry, that you are just scaremongering as usual.

• My card eventually arrived on Friday - with a covering letter dated 28 March.
  • Malcolm Another advantage of affiliation to ARC is that those affiliating to ARC enjoy a much better insurance cover

Employers liability insurance for volunteers  Covered by ARC     Not covered by UKA

Directors and Officers cover for the club committee Covered by ARC Not covered by UKA

Coaches covered for negligent advice Covered by ARC  Covered by UKA subject to a £5000 excess

Coaches insurance       ARC covers all competent coaches UKA only covers coaches licensed by UKA

Endurance officials insurance ARC covers all competent officials UKA only covers officials licensed by UKA

Members liability ARC covers all members engaged in club activities UKA covers members only whilst acting on behalf of their club

Clubs have a choice they can support a secretive expensive inefficient government quango England Athletics with no published financial plan which primarily serves track and field athletics

or they can support a vibrant efficient cost effective governing body ARC controlled and owned by their own sport

• Michael you getting to be one of the most boring person that I have come across. I have no desire to make this debate about the future of athletics into a "Dads" fight my dads got a bigger car than yours.  The issues are far too big.

You actually wrong on a number of points in relation to the insurance, but it is up to the atheltes which way they want to go and not down to club officials to decide the future of the sport.

•  Like I said.....

"In the end it will be a case of who delivers."

From where I see it ARC are delivering, the only thing UKA are delivering is too many licences....... or none at all!

• PodroPodro ✭✭✭

Malcolm and Michael

Here is something that both UKA and ARC could do that would be constructive from a road runners point of view  road races. Perhaps both organisations should be supporting British Cycling in their campaign to make it easier to run road-based sports events.

• Here, here Podro!

And another one for Malcolm, in the same way that Mr Saucony will happily venture into the forums to address issues and questions, with or about his product, maybe Mr UKA should sieze the opportunity to do the same on this thread.  I'm sure they can access it from UKA towers?

I can't really believe they can be unaware of this discussion thread after over a year and if they are, perhaps it is just a reflection of how out of touch they are?

• I know that Malcolm is posting on here his own private views and not speaking on behalf of EA/UKA but at least he's had the b*lls to speak up in what has been a very one-sided debate. But perhaps it's been one-sided because there's so much discontent amongst ordinary clubs and their members with the NGB.

At our committee meeting on Monday night I was instructed to withold £219 from the payment that we will be making to EA for our members' £5 registration fees for 2008-9, this being equal to the amount spent on 73 registrations in 2007-8 for which we got no value whatsoever. In any sphere we would be entitled to our money back for non-delivery of the goods.

• PodroPodro ✭✭✭

I've followed this debate right from the beginning and I have the utmost respect for Malcolm for sticking his head above the parapet and giving us an insight into some of the problems (and solutions) that they have at UKA. I think that it really is a shame that other UKA officials have not done the same. There is also a danger of this thread descending into the juvenile name calling and puerile negativity that is so evident on these boards. Please can we keep the discussion constructive and free from personal attacks however irritating another poster may be image.

Dunnarunner - While a competition licence is the main visible evidence that each club member has of UKAs involvement in the sport, there is also other stuff like coach training, organising competitions, administering rule changes and (hopefully) making representation to central government for funding and assistance in keeping our sport going. Having siad that I can completely understand why your club committee has decided to take this action and it will hopefully provide UKA with an incentive to get things right this year.

• Well done, Dunnarunner. I hope your members don't get locked up for non-payment of the government's runners' poll tax.

Whoops, should I have said "NGB's"?