ARC or UK:A

Comments

• Hi Cathy, I was just Farnie (which I have been since school) but as I am a Forumite Lady Almost a Pirate (as we are doing our first Triathlon later in the year) I changed my name.

I do get the impression the UKA really want to be seen as more track and field and not bothered with road racing, which I can understand to a certain degree.  Its just that maybe they could be a bit nicer about it.,

• 40 minutes40 minutes ✭✭✭

farnie
    UKA/EA are supportive of road racing, they just do a lot of other stuff as well.
    From your members viewpoint have a UKA Competition Licence will get them their £2 discounts in all road races, belonging to ARC will only get them a discount in ARC races.
    From a club admin viewpoint you may find ARC generate less paper.
    We currently affiliate to both, which certainly maximises cost & paper!

• Affiliation to ARC, which costs about £1.50 per club member, does include liability insurance cover for all your club members whilst engaged in club activities, employers liability cover for your volunteer helpers and directors and officers cover for your club committee. None of this is covered by UKA insurance. Also ARC affiliated clubs can obtain ARC race permits, which are generally cheaper than those provided by UKA. ARC permits enable clubs to use experienced officials who do not hold a UKA licence to organise their races. In addition ARC is owned by its member clubs. UKA/EA is effectively run by Sport England a Government funded quango. ARC gives runners "Freedom to Run".
  • Does anyone know when 'club level access' to the EA data base is likely to be live?  I  e-mailed them the same question last week but as of yet had no reply!! The site is currently telling me my user name is unknown. 

The last letter I had with the details on said scheduled for May with fees being paid by the 31st May!

• Michael how do we go about affiliating with ARC?  I am being really lazy is it all self explanatory on the website?
  • Hi farnieflaps

Real easy, all explained on the web site.
    All you need is the ability to write, (to fill the forms in), count, (to work out how many members you have), talk, (to ask your treasurer for a cheque), a wet tongue, (for the stamp), and a pair of legs, (to get to the post box). image

Regards
    Coops

• Write - check

count - check (well excel anyway)

talk - I can do that for England, but we don't have a treasurer or a bank account (and most that are opened now don't have cheque books image)

A wet tongue - not after the amount of booze consumed after yesterdays race

a pair of legs - may wait for the pains to dull down.....

Thanks you are ever helpful Coops.

Geri h
    I believe the answer is June, I had an email telling me but don't have it available on this PC.  The system has apparently "passed user testing", which means to me that it is ready to be broken by real users...

• ........unless they decide to postpone till July, then August, then.........
  • Farnieflaps To affiliate to ARC just email the Secretary of ARC at the email address shown on the Association of Running Clubs website and he will send you an Application Form and any information that you require.
  • Michael -- Is it possible to do it online and pay by credit card? That paper thing is such a nuisance.
  • Yes I would be interested if we could pay via a different route as most banks now are not issuing cheque books.

Also on the insurance, I read on the ARC website " It covers all coaches, officials and volunteers who are competent"

At present we have only two coaches, and if we can't make the session it has to be cancelled.  Does this mean that a volunteer would be able to take the group and be insured and how do we assess if they are deemed competent?

farnie
    I'm certain that you do not need a qualified coach to lead a group of runners on a road session; not really sure why you'd need insurance either come to that...

• Farnie I agree that no formal qualification is required to lead a group of runners. The leader should be aware that he/she has a duty of care to the group. The leader should also be an experienced runner.

I can think of several circumstances whereby a leader could be sued for negligence.

I am afraid that ARC cannot accept payments by credit card.

• Michael

I have setup a PayPal account for our club, and both of our club races have accepted on line entries this year, with payment either by a PayPal account or by a credit card from the PayPal website.

This has worked really well>
    Obviously there is a small PayPal fee, but the hastle of banking cheques is now removed.
    I have had a small number of people who have had problems using PayPal, normally rectified with a small bit of computer knowledge, which should be available within an individuals club

Regards
    Coops

• Anyone signed up individual members  to EA yet?

We've sent off our club membership, but not the individuals as there is no process yet (And no password)

We are also affilated to ARC which is much easier

• Hi SimonOur club sec has received our club username and password.
    On following the link and user the username and password we are told that the username doesn't exist.And we are meant to update our member records and send off all our members £5's by May 31st 2008.I guess I shouldn't be surprised by EA's ineptitude, "pi$$ up in a brewery", springs to mind.

A real shame this, after some real good posts from Malcolm Wallace earlier in this thread, I was begining to look at EA in a different way.

Malcolm - You must be tearing your hair out, keep up the good work though.

Regards
    Coops
  • Password now arrived, but none of it works!!!

Very frustrated.....

We are ARC for our race and if it was not for FLM places, I think we would not go with EA

Simon

• We've had three different sets of username and password.  Haven't actually tried logging on to the site yet though.  Not inclined to rush to complete details, only one of our members (club secretary) received a 'licence' last year despite our sending details and payments in good time.

• I'm am not trying to have a dig or incite any forumites into fighting their corner.........

But it has to be noted that it's gone awful quiet in the pro-UKA / EA camp?

• Moe, i'm sure you not the only person who has spotted that.
  • Confusion reigns!

C'mon UKA, get yer act together!!

.......... through all this one thing I still can't get my head round is where the roles of UKA, EA, SE are separated and what functions they actually are responsible (in the loosest sense) for. .......... anyone?

Moe
    To be fair, that is a club that's confused - not UKA.

• 20 mins, and some confused and somewhat frustrated members!!

• Sorry 20min but the amount of time taken for UKA (an organisation that claims to be world class) to put this new system (?) together is rediculous, they should be able to communicate with their 'Customers', the very people they claim to represent, in a clear and concise way.  How much money has UKA thrown at this? It can't even produce a piece of card with a name and a number on it! 

It may be the club who are confused  but they are not new runners, they've been around (the forums at least) for quite some time so they have experience and if they are confused there must also be hundreds of others (I know there are) in the same situation.

It's a debacle and UKA are lucky the wider media have not taken an interest .......... yet!

• ..........Nobody want to give the 'roles' question a crack?! 

Right I'm off to bed, look foward to logging in this afternoon! image

• Moe You have left out a few bodies. We now have UKAthletics, the RRLG, Athletics Services, England Athletics, the 3 territories (South, Midlands and North) ,the Counties and BARR. That is 7 different bodies for the clubs to deal with. All seeking to find a role for themselves in the sport of athletics. No  wonder clubs are confused. I think it is a complete farce and seriously wasteful of resources and time and effort for all. I think the whole lot should be wound up and replaced by one organisation ARC.

I would guarantee that there is no other sport that has such a stupid organisation.

• Just checking in to see what is being said.
  • Still no further forward in renewing affiliation for this year. Am seriously thinking about joining another club. Could do without the expense but just really hacked off with it now.
  • Both me and Mr K got email yesterday from our club chairman saying the club used to pay to affiliate to UKA, but from this year the member has to pay if we want the £2 discount. It's club night tomorrow, so hopefully he'll have more info for us.

Just remembered it's pub night too, so could make for a lively debate after a couple of pints!