ARC or UK:A

Comments

• Should be interesting Kwilter, lte us all know what everyone says.

After much heated debate at our club we have decided to ditch UKA and affiliate with ARC.  We are just in the process of constituting, names, colours etc. and I can't wait.

A nicer bunch of people you couldn't wish to meet.

(and thanks to Michael for all his help so far)

• Anything connected with UKA / EA seems to be a can of worms at the moment, I organised our race through ARC a couple of weeks ago and it was straightforward, simple and all went without a hitch ...... also I have not been struck down by lightning!

Again I ask, why should something that is basically a freedom, a right even, be dictated by and charged for by a largely unelected, unanswerable body?

Where will it all end? We now see Toll roads, where does this sort of thing lead? Toll Pavements & Footpaths?

ARC stand for your right to run!

• Have you seen the new Race Directors' Portal at http://www.runbritain.com/RDP/?

Also the UKAathletics.net website seems to have undegone a makeover. As afar as I can work out the road running stuff is being moved to the runbritain.com website

• I was wrong. I have now found a link to the old roadrunning section on the new front page of the UKAathletics.net site hidden under "grass roots".
  •  Interesting, pity they hadn't had this sort of thing up and running a 18 months ago!

Couldn't help but notice in the privacy tab (as that's pretty much all you can access without registering) -

'How can I contact Race Directors Portal?'

Answer: international call to AUSTRALIA!!!????? or a Melbourne address! Amazing!

• I e-mailed UKA last week enquiring to why they seem oblivious to the unrest amongst a lot of the running community (no reply to date), I also noted the nice new web site! ................ I wonder if that's an Australian company too? I wonder if any of the UKA staff had to go out there to meetings etc? I wonder how that was funded?

I wonder if my application to the Race Directors Portal will be accepted! image ....... don't think I'll hold my breath!

• 40 minutes40 minutes ✭✭✭

RRLG announced some time ago that an Australian firm had been selected as their software developer, so no big surprise to see the .au web addresses...

• I stand corrected, had my acceptance e-mail this morning!

Perhaps they should let the Australians do the licences too!!! image

Had a look around the race director's portal - seemed quite good to me - although a lot of the interesting bits are on the "coming later" list.

Moe - any thoughts?

• Definitely a good idea and well presented but as you noted 20, 'coming later' holds all the eye catching stuff which is fine as long as it's followed through and regularly updated.

I can't help but think it's a little on the 'too little too late' side in showing commitment to Road Running, the updated website would have been a golden opportunity to show they mean it.  The first impression of the home page screams Track & Field!  Just a few graphics of Road Running would have been good PR surely?

................. just a thought, but how different would it be if the Dungbeetle was in charge of UKA?!!!! (sorry, you'll only understand the point if you are aware of who the Dungbeetle is)

• SeelaSeela ✭✭✭
    If it was dungbeetle we could sort it out down the pub over a few beers
  • It seems neither my old club (still 2nd claim) or my present club are able to register me!

...........Personally I think I've been blacklisted!!  image

• SeelaSeela ✭✭✭
    Talking of EA efficiency I went on a course last Feb  for race organisers (passed with 92%), since I though I needed to be a qualified offical to put on a race. Had to apply for a CRB check, whcih I got but Istill haven't had anything form EA... I suppose I should chase them up <sigh>

Moe
    Your 2nd claim club shouldn't try to register you for a Competition Licence.  If they have, that will be why your 1st claim club can't do it.  Either way, Althletics Services will be aware of the issue, and should contact your club(s) to resolve the problem.  They've done it with some of our newer members.

• Hi 20 minutes
    Who are Athletic Services, why would they be aware of the issue, and are you sure they would contact the clubs???
    Just trying to piece together this jigsaw, UKA - EA/SA/WA/NIAC - SEAA etc - SCAA etc
    Regards
    Coops

• Has anyone else been invited to pass comment on this?

Athletics In England - Partner Consultation Questionnaire

Here's the link for the General survey

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=y4aZgJDpye1Ok1wQ8C8Uhg_3d_3d

Interesting in light of Coops comments. Particularly questions 5, 9, 10 & 11.  I'm with you Coops I haven't a clue who does what any more.

There are 5 in total the others being - Althletes, coaches, clubs and officials.

Hi Coops
    Athletics Services are the part of UKA which runs the Competition Licence system.  If a Club Membership Secretary tries to register a new member who's name & dob appears to match a runner who is already registered, they won't be able to do so.  The details of the failed attempt to register are automatically highlighted to Athletic Services, who's task it is to resolve the issue.  To resolve it, they may need to contact the club(s) involved.

• Thanks for that 20
    Do you know whether this works, (Athletic Services/EA contacting the clubs involved with a registration problem), I immediately sent an e-mail, imforming of my problem, so maybe I had no need to???

coops
    I know that it has worked for us, but being proactive & sending an email with any additional details seems sensible to me.

• I had a problem putting a couple of my members on as they have been long time ist claim members with us i resolved it myself. If you enter the members name but dont put in there date of birth it accepts them. You can then call that person back up and amend there profile ie enter their date of birth afterwards. This appears to have worked for me and i have not had any come back from EA.

Geri - Very clever!

coops - Sorry, I was wrong there.  Aparently the portal says to contact Athletic Services when you get a clash; they then resolve the issue.  I misunderstood what I was told earlier.

• Some interesting reading here!

ABAC Website

Indeed, but the ABAC concept of going back to the 3 territories is awful - the South West does not want to be swallowed up into London & the home counties again!

• 20 Minutes There are 100000 registered athletes. England Athletics receives a subsidy from the taxpayer of £3,000,000 or £30,000 per registered athlete. If taxpayer funding for athletics is reduced or removed the present structure of the sport is not affordable and something will need to give. In fact the sport runs itself and the governing structure is largely unnecessary.

Michael - Yes, I've  heard all that before - but I don't see the relevance to my last post.  All I was asking for was not  to be swallowed up into London/SE - which is remote & irrelevant to the true SW.

• 20 minutes. I think Bill Laws was more considering track and field athletics. For road running we more prefer a single central governing body for the whole of England supported by voluntary individuals/committees in counties/regions as the sport locally requires. For all its faults the South of England AA had a paid staff of 2. Its work is now being performed by 4 regional organisations with a paid staff of 16+. In my opinion the governance is now much worse. Bureaucracy and the work load on hard pressed club committees has grown substantially.

And the South West Region has no power to run its own affairs. It is run as required by Sport England who hold the purse strings and dictate exactly how their money is to be spent.

• SeelaSeela ✭✭✭
    If I'm getting £30,000 subsidy as a registered athlete please can I have it in cash now?
  • PodroPodro ✭✭✭
    By my calculations 100,000 goes into £3million just 30 times. So it is £30 per registered athlete. £30,000 per athlete would be a £3 billion pound subsidy.
  • ........... well, it's still a meal and a pint post race down the local innit!  image  image