Public, Private. grammar or bog standard secondary?

2»

Comments

• Whitefield Comp. First year since it had been Albert Road secondary Modern. Horrid place, teachers seemed not to care whether we worked or not, all the older kids smoked and there were regular fights with the RC school across the motorway (usually involving running ACROSS the motorway rather than using the bridge)

Only well known-ish person I know who ever went there was called Ian Scott, played for England schoolboys and signed for Man City. Played for them for a few years, prolly a PE teacher somewhere now.

Oh, and my sociology teacher went to school with Paul Mariner
  • Public (private) school in Taunton only because the 'Old man' was a diplomat and the government paid!

Can't think of loads of famous people. Only one at the moment is Tim Wilcox the boyish looking Newsreader on BBC News 24. He was year below)
  • State Grammar - only famous Old Boy I know of is David Bellamy, but he was waaay before I got there. He was used for publicity but apparently left without any qualifications, so it was a bit of a cheek really!
  • SezzSezz ✭✭✭
    Pink, me too, which one?
  • State school til I was 12 were I was considered to be a bit thick and hopeless at anything other than creative writing, and looking back the standards of teaching was awful (we had a teacher over from the USA who did nothing but talk about US history and used to leave early to go to the theatre).

Mum did well with her business and I got to go to a local girls day school and then when I was 14 got a bursary to go to all girls boarding school in Oxford (which was actaully a lot less snobby than the day school).

I did well there and got good GCSEs and A levels and I'm certain I would have dropped out if I'd stayed in the state system.

At boarding school I also managed to bag a lovely boyfriend when I was 15 from a linked boys boarding school (much to my mothers dispair) and we went out for 6 years!

I looved Oxford, have fantastic friends from those days and enjoyed a great social life.

...and I still love a public school boy (grown up of course!)
  • bog standard girls grammar

is it inmportant?
  • St Pansy's school for boys.

You could have a reign of terror with a balloon on a stick.

• Cambridge Grammar.

Don't remember much about it. Driven past it a couple of times - all changed now.

One of the teachers helped sink the Bismark - little Welsh guy - very quiet - a bit of a hero I'm told.

Other than that the only pupil of note was one Peter Gabriel, who used to jazz up the hymns when the music teacher was too hung over to play the piano.

Ye Holy Angels Bright in the style of Fats Domino.....

• bog standard secondary i'm afraid. tho GCSE grades were proof u didnt need to pay for an education.....

mind u, they are easy these days....

dont think we had anyone famous. neil clemence who went on to play for west brom, errr thats about it
  • plodding hippo - you ask 'is it important?'.

Was to me. No way would I have been able to get the grades, go to uni, do my job that I have now if I'd stayed in the state school I was in.

Nor would I have had all the opps to travel, do loads of different social things, met as many people.
  • My school must have been a good un.... It was approved..

Even better now... They nocked it down in the late 90's.