Snowdonia Marathon

Comments

• cd, can I borrow charlie to pull me up the hills?

Aunty moggy, nice to know im not the only late starter, my first and second were loch ness at 38 and 39 yrs. I think we should all wear yellow to celebrate the mighty new super food...
  • tmt, just noticed your avatar, I have a tray with it on....yeah ok I have had a hard day at work!
  • mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Dave, nope that wasnt me. However I did recall seeing him too! I dont recall seeing any dogs though.... or were you running alone?
  • mp - yeah i was running 'solo' at white peak

fh - trouble is the speed he wantsc to go at down the other side!
    btw don't worry about this race. i too only started 2 years ago, at 40, and did this as my first ever marathon and loved it.you'll be just fine.
  • Hi All
    can only drop in on this from time to time so it takes awhile to catch up .
    all this talk of times and ages is making me feel real slow and old!! I only started running at the age of 45 and will be 52 doing this one. as for times well i'm not called tortoise legs for nothing so the last place is definately reserved for me.!!!!
    Doesn't matter though just finishing is great.
    oh yes and I just love custard

• I think is's great that we are all out and running no matter what age we are...TLT, see you at the back with aunty moggy and the backpackers, (sounds like a bad 80's band!)
  • RGR thanks for letting me know what the DD is and I obviously won't be entering it in the forseeable future hats off to all of you who have though. I am struggling at the moment to find some motivation I plan to start new plan on July 1st for this marathon. TD thanks for the encouragement I am looking forward to seeing you all on the day. I am not all that bothered what time I do I just want to do a different marathon. I will be looking forward however to having full english(or welsh) in Petes all this talk of crumble and custard as made me hungry. Good luck everyone with your training.
  • So coming in for last place...

Me!
    Froghopper
    Aunty Moggy (and the backpackers)
    TortoiseLegs too

Anyone else in the "slow but we'll get there" category.. :)

Froghopper - good teatray - its a crap avatar, but it means something to me. :)
  • mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Moggy, nice write up, brings it all back! There was no danger of me oversleeping in 2005, a metal dustbin lid spent most of the night smashing against the wall outside our room! On the flip side, I got sun burn in 2006.
  • mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to this years race entertainment as provided by 'Aunty Moggy and the backpackers'

A possibility for Eurovision 2008 me thinks?
  • Not sure where i will be coming in this year, hopefully a bit faster than last year.

Anyhow hope to meet some or all of you guys at some point in the day! Look out for a short grey haired guy with glasses in an Eryri top. I normally try to start at the front just never finish there ha ha.
  • I reckon we should have some kind of name badges so that we can recognise each other!!!I did the crewkerne 9 road race yesturday and boy was that undulating,i kept thinking if im puffing and panting on this coarse what will i be like in October with the extra 17 miles !!!!!I have got some kind of virus at the moment that i cant shake off,thats my excuse why i felt so crap!!!Im so looking forward to this marathon .When do we get some kind of confirmation or information on our entries can anybody enlighten me?
  • mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Like most people, checking with the bank to see if the cheque has been cashed is probably the easiest way to confirm your race entry. Id say that it wont be full for sometime yet.
    You will cope with the additional 17m just fine. Remember that you will have put a lot more effort into the shorter race, snowdon is a far more leisurely pace!
  • Hi all. I just found out at the weekend that a friend of mine has put in for this, so have now spent the last couple of days pondering whether to have a go myself.

Is it full yet?

How much longer does it take than a flattish road marathon?

I'm spending my summer training for a 19mile fell race, and am hoping I could do this marathon on the back of that. I'll have to do some road-running, but not too much as I always seem to get injured. Cheers.
  • Mr Plod - just noticed you said there that you don't think it'll be full for sometime yet. Ta.
  • I fear that if I attempt any sort of singing those grand old mountains are going to come a' crashing down on us!

I seem to recall that forumites wear green ribbons? Maybe ours should be green and yellow?
  • I'm not sure I can sing, breathe and run at the same time, it's hard enough doing the running and breathing bit....but then again a bit of custard to lubricate the vocal chords...the hills are alive with the sound of music.
  • Hi all,
    Whats a full Welsh breckfast? Theres got to be lamb in it!

Mr plod,

yes i did the stratford 6 last year for the first time. Its a nice race,the weather was great if you like it hot and it fell on the same day as the England v Portugal world cup game.

There stands a good chance i'll be there.

Are you doing it this year?
  • mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Karl, chances are it will be a last minute decision and just turn up on the night. Its a local race for me, so I guess I should really make the effort! I did it in 2005, and I recall it being a really quick course, luckily that year the weather was just right. Plenty of fantastic village pubs locally too to make a good end to the evening! so ru from warks?
  • MP, no, I'm from west brom ( don't mention the play offs ) I was over that way on the day at a fund raising event for guide dogs for the blind.
    It was a great day out with a beer tent ( i didn't partake :o( with large screen t.v. for footie, falconry display, peter pervis from blue peter ( before your time! ) a spitfire flying overhead, face painting, bouncy castle and loads of displays and other things.
    And it was free! just give a donation if your kids have a face painting or bouncy castle.

If these events fall on the same day i will definitely there.

We have a Blind runner at our club ( Dave Heely ) who is planing to run 7 marathons in 7 days on 7 continents! with the last one being the FLM 2008.

Any tips from the ultra runners out there i can pass on?

• mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Karl, Im a coventry fan so I would have been glad to have even got to the play off's!

As for peter Pervis I didnt remember him on telly, but he used to live around the corner from me at my old house!

7 in 7 is very commendable, isnt that the same thing that Sir Ranalph Feinnes did a few years ago? Could be worth approaching him and his team for tips and support! What other events have they got in mind?
  • Who started all this talk about food - reading this at lunchtime whilst trying to loose weight ahead of them hills in October...

Yes I remember Peter Purvis, think I had a BP album somewhere with him in. Good to see I'm not alone in coming to running late 30's and doing first mara here this year at 42. Thought I may be near the back, but finding my additional distance training is improving my 10k speed, knocked 2 mins of PB last week. Wont be anywhere near the front though haha.

CD, got lost in the myriad of mails, but how did you find the 2 week taper - about right ?
  • perhaps we could confince peter purvis to be our race mascot. He could fix us all with sticky back plastic at the end, and as his name's Pete they might let him have a free crumble at the cafe. Well done on the PB WP, into second week of training now for langdale M, still waiting for that improvement, anyone got any tips on what to do for the month or so between two marathons? ( training that is!!)
  • fh-how about get your sanity checked? you're bonkers man.
  • thought of that but it doesn't quite sound right.
  • mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    its hard to know who is male and who is female with all of these wierd and wonderful names!!

So your doing Langdale Marathon frog? Im told thats even harder than Snowdon!
  • i agree mp.
    i've done the half a couple of times and the thought of going round twice..i need a drink.
  • Ah so thats your tip, have a drink half way round.They are just the two marathons I'd really like to do, still, sounds like I'll get the bad one out of the way first.. ha ha!! CD just been looking at the Belper 30k, will be on my 22 mile long run week, so might give it a go..then I can go home and run round the house for 4 miles.....
  • wp - the two week taper worked really well. long enough to feel fresh but not too long that i couldn't remember the last time i ran long. found it way better than 3 weeks.
    what do you do?

fh- belper 30 will more than compensaste for a 22miler. it's got 2300ft of climb which is more than snowdon marathon and being off road will make it a tad more difficult.

by the way everyone, peter purvis wasnt the one who got banged up for various shinnanigans was he? i remeber one of them did! shatters your childhood memories.