Snowdonia Marathon

Comments

• he's here, he's there

he's everywhere

stevie-z, stevie-z

(and i'm wide awake at some ridiculous hour. may bob off half way round the course at this rate - someone turn the lights back off please)

• guess you've gone now paul.

have a good journey. see you there. beep beep.

• Just over 5 hours to go image
  • Special thoughts to Ultra Hammie on his 100th marathon

hve a great day guys

• Lights back on again.. *rubs eyes*

Sleep would have been nice.. had strange dreams that they would make us stop every few miles and do strange tasks.

Me worried - never!

Will keep an eye out for Hammie.  image   Have decided to run in the arse hanging out shorts.. well hell its another layer against the welsh mountain weather!

Fingers crossed all for a great day... got to run.. *boom boom*

• hum the last post - cd and sz ....out - good luck everyone!
  • Setting off in 20mins - weather doesnt look too bad at the mo. Struggled to fasten chip this morning (1st time had one!) - hope it stays on! POB LWC I BAWB image
  • Looks like i'm first one back. What a great race,hope every one enjoyed.

I came in in 3:14:27, 47th over all and 10th in the v40 cat, so i'm very happy  at the moment, and just about to go out to celebrate with a few beersimage.

Nice to see Carot top and flying ant and mr phil out on the course.

• KwakaKwaka ✭✭✭

Just back after having a bath and meal. Not sure if I saw any of you guys. Mrs Kwaka (Supertec) was no. 1514 and I ran with her for the 1st 3 miles then ran back to the start.

I then got lost trying to find the route backwards but eventually topped out on the top of the last hill (on my cycle) just as the first runners was hitting the 24 mile mark. You may have seen me on a blue mtb with a blue bike helmet shouting on all the Stockport runners and any other vest I recognised. Met up with Mrs K at the 19 mile mark and turned round supporting her up the hill.

Top marks to her as she pb'd; 4:18 chip time.

Well done everyone.

• Nice to see Nurse Gladys and Iron Tractor Boy at the start.. eventually got in .. well eventually we'll leave it there!  image

Off for a bath and LONG sleep!

Well done guys, bit of weather we had eh?

• what a race, that bloody hill though, I had forgotten how hard it was. Good time though 03:06:06, did think I'd get the sub 3hr as my 20 mile split was 2hr 12mins........Waun Fawr had other ideas for me though!! Enjoying a well deserved bottle of red now!!
  • Sinatra reporting in....

Well this was my 2nd ever marathon, first being at Great Langdale last month.  What a toughie!  Started off at a decent pace and took it steady up the pass.  From the top of the pass to Beddgelert was mostly downhill and probably taken at a bit too quick a pace really. 

Coming out of Beddgelert the legs started to feel heavy and people began to pass me. I tried to put this out of my mind as I was out to beat my time not other people, so I soldiered on.  I took it steady and tried to maintain a decent pace over the undulating course.  Again people passed me and I wondered if I'd made the right decision to run another marathon so soon after Langdale.

Hitting the last hill at Waunfawr, cramp immediately set in on my right calf and I had to mix walking and running to get to the top.  From there I was able to get the speed going again for the downhill section and aimed to get back to the finish for 3 hours and 45 minutes.

As I approached the finish, I could hear over the tannoy that 3 hours and 40 minutes was a possibility if I kept going a bit more.  Crossing the line in 3 hours and 39 minutes meant i'd smashed my Langdale time by 27 minutes.  All that was left to do then was to enjoy a well earned coffee and a couple of chocolate cookies and collect my t-shirt.

The support around the course was fantastic, everybody out to cheer us on along the way.  The organisation of the race was first class as was the service at the water/feeding stations especially given the weather.

Well done everyone!

• Pics of today's marathon at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/davepinno/sets/72157602743978172/

(Keep visiting as he will be adding more i'm sure)

• Hope everyone enjoyed their race, whatever time you did it in! I was very happy to be home and....wet in 3:19 today.

Great race this one, and I thought the organisation was brilliant all around the course, and some fantastic local support to go with the travelling fans too.

It's high time I was in bed... 

• It only took my 7 hours 15 minutes to drive up on Friday, about 2 and a half hours longer than expected, it was slow traffic on M6 and then the road works on the A55.

It was an enjoybale race, I went off too first and at 8 miles I was on for beating my PB, until a few more hills and the rain. At which point I put on the green bin liner which I kept from the start, you may have seen me. I decided to use the run/walk approach from about 16 miles as I was aware there was a few big hills near the end. 

I ended up with a time of 4:49 which I was pleased with due to conditions and my lack of training in the build up. 

Next Stop Wembley and then on to the Dublin Marathon, afterwards a few well deserved local black drink image

• I actually got a txt message with my results from that company about 2 hours after finishing.
  • What an event to pick as 1st marathon.

Started well and paced the Pass climb as planned/done in training (was about 5th at the top), but did NOT ease back on way down as I'd planned - Garmin froze and whilst I felt I was running comfortably I couldn't have been (should have realised this when I could seen Dennis Walmsley just down the road) - BIG mistake. Informed 10miles in 62mins so eased back, but too late. Struggled up the climb out of Beddgelert and forced to walk a few times before hitting Waunfawr. Cramped a few time up the climb and then on the last climb after the end of the descent (when I thought I might have creeped under 3h15m). Finished in 3h17m38s - slightly disappointed, but philosophical - will be back next year to make amends and to run the course ore sensibly!!

• Marvellus fun................all going well until 2 miles when i had to stop for a natural, felt light headed and then fell over !!

Got up with a few cuts and then carried on running gingerly just checking everything was OK, got back into my stride and managed to get home in 3.54, keep the cramp off and carry my 2 year old son 100 metres to the finish line.

Absolutely fab day, thanks to Tom & Dean who paced me around most of the way and all the fab spectators and supporters.

• KwakaKwaka ✭✭✭
    mrs kwaka here ..just to say what a great day brilliant race lovely views ,great company and a pb all in one day, might even be back next year.
  • Hello everyon nice to meet ITB and Toomuch at the start but didn't manage to see anyone else Not sure enjoy is the rifgt word for how I felt about the race but it was good to be part of such a friendly well organised event. I did 4. 20 so I was reasonably pleased considering the conditions and the W hill. Had a great day out maybe I'll try again another year to see if I can get a better time but it's been nice talking to all lyou lot on the forum anyway even if I didn't get to see most of you
  • Great race...loved every rain sodden minute of it , especially the down from Waunfawr the offroad part was brilliant. Only downside for me was the traffic dodging through Beddgelert.

Didn't look at my watch all through the race just wanted to keep going, heeded the advice of other seasoned Snowdonias who kindly offered it.....it worked well for me and got me round. Not a good time 4.50 (chip) compared to my Windermere time but enjoyed this race much more overall and hope to be back to 'do better' next year.

Full of a cold and sore throat this morning, felt it starting on the drive home. It must have been 'lying in wait' (thanks to my children) .

Respect to all......runners, marshalls, organisers and spectators !!

• Fantastic day - really loved the course; the organisation was brilliant; the spectators along the route really encouraging (especially the families with the whistles and plastic milk bottles and the car playing "The Hills are Alive" very loudly!!); the weather just added to the fun! 

Really chuffed with my time of 4.43 - especially as I thought I was going to die on the hill above Waunfawr!!!   This marathon beats FLM hands down for me - shall definitely be back!

ITB - definitely saw you in your green binbag!

Hope the organisers can keep the race on a Saturday for next year.  Feel really knackered today and glad that I don't have to go to work.  Just planning on lazing around with a coffee and the Sunday papers!!

Thanks to everyone on this Forum for advice, encouragement and everything.  It's been greatimage.

• John Bach, did I pass you on Waunfawr? what were you wearing?
  • Chris

After 1/2 way about 50 runners passed me - I struggled to the finish - I had a purple vest.

Have learnt from the experience and hope to rectify mistake(s) for next years race.

Da iawn/well done Chrisimage

• JB, think I passed you on the hill I had a white vest with red and black stripes, I asked if you were ok! you looked like you were struggling, So was Iimage.

Thats a great time for your first marathon, well done.

• Thanks for your support and your kind words Chris - you were one of many who could see I was (really) struggling - the encouragement certainly helped me get to the finish!