Snowdonia Marathon

Comments

• so very well done to all of you.  I was at Beddgelert just past the drink station and on the other side of the road, dripping wet with my mate, we were in situ at half ten and didn't leave our spot til just after 1.pm when we finally went to dry out, we clapped every single one of you tho now all your faces are a blur, it was great to get so many thumbs up and acknowledgements from those who were running.  We both want to be running with you next year.   
  • mr fmr f ✭✭✭

Hello all. finally home and looking forward to a nice roast dinner tonight!!!

My race was overall quite pleasing as chip time was 4.24 compared to 4.36 last year, so I guess i have to be pleased with the improvement. For the first 8m I for some reason suffered with a really dodgy stomach resulting in 2 lengthy toilet stops. The first was unannounced, and sadly on view to numerous other runners! (sorry if you had to see that!). No idea what caused me to feel like that. My buddy had by then gone of in the distance, but a good half stone lighter I battled through the next 5m and caught up and overtook him in the space of a mile. I then seemed to get into a rythym, and was feeling ok until the cold/wet got to me at 21m, and having started to walk like most others I got a cramp in my right thigh. I managed to walk/jog through that, and thankfully it had passed by the steep downhill stretch. The rest is a bit of a blur, but got in safely which is the main thing.

Did anyone go to the evening do? We lasted until about 9.15, but then had to retire as we were falling asleep in our pints.

I sadly dont recall seeing anyone (that I could recognise anyway!)

• Does any one know when the race will be on tv and what channel.
  • Absolutely fantastic, could't stop grinning, all the marshalls thought I was a head case. planned for a 4.30, did 4.10, so amazed and ecstatic, still grinning now, will definately be doing it next year..hope you all had a great race.
  • Fantastic day. Race plan went well apart from forgetting my orthotics! and slightly over-estimating the Waunfawr hill. (Walk/run) (Chip) 4hr 9min 47sec. Happy for first Marathon.

I gained loads of ground on the downhill into the finish. FH must have passed you at the end what were you wearing?

Going for sub 4hr next year! PF  CD and I must have just missed you, we did see Run Gary, T- Rex and Safety Pin and had a beer or two! Well done everyone!

• Chris22

s4c - Monday 9-9.45pm

• JB, thanks mate, hows the legs?

Just got back from a 4 mile warm down to stretch my legs.

Did any one use a garmin on the run? I made it 26.60 milesimage.

• No probs Chris - legs feel pretty good image

Unfortunately my Garmin "froze" - buttons wouldn't work - have let batteries go dead and hoping to access the data tomorrow after recharging it

I probably did 26.6miles after "zig zagging" up the Waunfawr climb!

• great time had by me and sz.

i knocked 7 mins off last year, coming in on 4.22 and with not really road running since last snowdon i am pleased. felt it know but picked up momentum once i got to the off road bit and started to fly past a few people.

saw safety pin, t rex, phil, and run gary run but where was everyone else? me and sz had our r&c t's but no other memorabilia to be seen. maybe next time.

close run thing between us again paul

fellrunner - i asked a few people if they were you. they weren't. so i probably looked like a total chump. hope you had a good run. i know you'll be peeping onto the thread!

• FR - CD was only asking Clark Kent lookalikes if they were you.
  • Hi all,God that was fun, met Chris, flying ant, Karl.  Good to put some names to faces.I didn't hit my target, but came close 3:03:16.  Race went almost to plan except the hill at bedgellet took more time than I thought and never managed to catch it back up.  My legs were mashed and struggling to work at full speed up and down W hill and that sneaky little one they have thrown in at the end felt like a mountain.How did everyone find conditions on top of W hill, when I was on top, their was a massive side wind, rain and little visibility.  However, talked to runner 5 min later, had no wind at all.Snowdon 1 CT 0 Now I want a rematch, an interesting problem NY or the mama (Snowdon), next year.
  • CT, I take my hat off to you mate, well run. Nice to meet you. Yes there was a strong side wind on top of Waunfawr, there seemed to be a swirling wind through out the course, one minuet there was a great tail wind then next a nightmare of a head wind.

Waunfawrimage I will never underestimate a hill again, it went on for ever. 

• mr fmr f ✭✭✭

My Garmin was 26.42miles.

I thought you were stood next to me at the start Dave. I saw the kayanos, and 'DAVE' plastered on the front of the vest, but The Dave I was talking to didnt have a dog. The guy did give me a strange luck when I said "Are you collie Dave?"

2004: 5.13

2005: 4.55

2006: 4.36

2007: 4.24

By my calculations I should win the Snowdon Marathon in the year 2014 image

• That was a great weekend!

Really nice to meet you steve.

3:09:59. sprinted at the finish to get under 3:10image

ran well and paced Debie walters round and she was first lady.

legs are a bit sore now!

organisation was spot on, loved every minute of it.imageimage

• Hi all,

Well done everyone.

Chris 22, fantastic time for you, fab !  pick a flat fast course and with some dedication you'll certainly go sub 3 image

Nice to catch up with some of you, ie, Shades, UH, UM, T-Rex, Carrot Top, and also Karl wbh at the finish, i also made a similar mistake to CT and tried to claw back time in a short space, suffered at 15 miles even though still at 2.55 mara pace, finished in 3.13.05 so in general quite happy, deliberatley stayed around lead lady just to get on TV (bit sad ain't i), although had to run hard to catch her.

S4C tomorrow night 9pm, can't waitimage

• Karl, I paced Jenny Moore for the last 10 miles and she came in second lady. Or should I say she paced me in and got me 10th in the V40 catimage.

How was Debie's leg, when she passed me at Beddgeled she said she had a problem with here calf.

Well done on going sub 3:10. we must have met some where along the road.

• mr fmr f ✭✭✭

Chees for that Ant.

For those with SKY TV its channel 134

• cheers Chris,

PF-my garmin said 26.42 as well, but they should always read a little long plus never race perfect racing line. i am surprised they say exactly the same though.

JB- if you press certain buttons at the same time it resets them, not sure which one i just press as many as i can together an it springs back to life.

Mmm, just been comparing last years results with this years and for the ones I can find all times are down best by 1:17, worst by 14:18, average is 6:28 (for 5).  Conditions were worst than i thought. Well that's what I am going to tell everyone.

Forgot to say excellent race, no complaints, grate organisation, lives up to its reputation, a must for every serious marathon runner 10 out of 10.  I will be back

• Wellcome home FA, hope you and Mr phil left north Wales some beerimage.

Well run mate, nice to see you helping out the young ladies tooimage. Think jenny stayed with me to help an old man home.

• I'm home!!  What a fantastic race!!  Yet again Snowdon brings a lump in my throat, whether that is sheer emotion of finishing or the pain that goes with it.

Great to see Shades at the start.  And then in the evening I spied two characters in Rhoobard and Custard 'T' shirts - CD and SZ no less who then introduced me to the master of lists - T Rex!  So good to put faces to names. 

Snowdon just gets better and better and better...no a bad word to be said.  Jayne Lloyd has done a terrific job in the organising and everyone involved, the marshals, stewards, cadets, St Johns, the crowd, the nice ladies serving tea and biscuits - EVERYONE deserves a mention. 

Yesterday was why Snowdon has been voted and continues to be voted the best.  Everyone who crossed that line was a winner.  I will now end my emotional rant!

(Over to you FR!) (Stuff emotions!)  3h 58m.  Happy!

• Hi all. And well done on some brilliant times image 
    http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/images/icons/icon_smile.gif

Well I found this much harder than I thought I would. Felt fine until about 18 miles, started to suffer at about 20 miles, and then THAT hill!!! Wiped me out completely, though I managed to jog/walk up it. But I was NOT a happy bunny on the tarmac descents that followed. I finished in the time I thought I would though - 4.54 (I predicted between 4.45 and 5)

While I can accept the cups dropped around the water stations, I was disappointed to see all the gel wrappers discarded along the road, and on the Waun Fawr section. Disgraceful really
    http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/images/icons/icon_sad.gif

But a top event. And a special thanks to the supporters and marshalls who stood out in that weather to encourage us all on. Well organised, nice mementos and great value for money image
  • paulf - no that wasn't me. i don't know whether i was in front from the start or passed you at some point - maybe when you were doing your 'bear in the woods' routine!

come on fellrunner, show yourself just one more time.

rgr - make sure you have the final post on here

• I will be putting up the 'For Sale' sign on this thread in due course, but not before FR has given his race report!
  • TJ, must agree with you on the gel wrappers being dumped, if you can Carrie them full I'm sure you can Carrie them empty.

As far as the race, I think one word sums it all up,ARDDERCHOGimage

• Talking of Gels, laughed out loud just before Waunfawr turn off.  Runner in front of me trod on a full meaty gel and it exploded perfectly (sound effects and all) up the legs of the unfortunate runner on his nearside.  Shouldn't have laughed but it was very funny, alittle bit of light humour made that hill slighty more enjoyable...and if you are out there my apologies if I laughed at you. 
  • KwakaKwaka ✭✭✭
    Anyone know what Channel it is on Virgin Media. If its the BBC Wales channel Im OK but SC4 doesnt sound like a BBC channel.
  • Kwaka, its 194 on Virgin Media.
  • KwakaKwaka ✭✭✭
    Cheers Chris but only if you live in Wales apparenty. Its not available anywhere else according to SC4 website. DVD/Video anyone? Will willingly pay postage & costs.
  • Chris,

i only drank 1 small glass of red wine all weekend (post-race), then 1 sml bottle of beer with my chinese tonight, Mr.Phil had a few though (and deserved them after his acrobatics) !

1st lady ran very well considering it was only her 2nd mara, spoke to her during the final descent and her first mara was a 2.58 

On the whole Snowdonia is a tough marathon, and anyone who finished deserves praise.

Funny though, after the race i watched a few hundred or so runners cross the line and then went back to hotel, got unpacked, stretched for about half hour, and had a long hot bath, then as 'mad runners' usually do i decided to go for a recovery run in my running tights and club t-shirt (via Spar shop to get more water), on my return to the hotel people were clapping at me and shouting 'well done',  'you're nearly there',  i didn't have a clue what they were on about until i passed the road opposite the finishing clock and saw the timer still working and showing 6hrs 41 mins, then as i prepared to cross the road 2 runners came towards me heading for the finish line,  by this time it was getting dark and all the support had gone.  They must've been well and trully knackered !

What did everyone think of the party ??? in electric mountain, i thought it a bit quiet myself and left about 8.30 (or thereabouts) to get some supper. It didn't seem that crowded either.

• FA, when the first lady passed me she said her leg was giving her problems, wish I could run that fast with a bad leg.

I didn't go to the do in the night, I drove straight home, done it in 3:30, hope there were no camerasimage.

Last man home 7:48, now that's commitment, well done to him.