Snowdonia Marathon

Comments

• Hi all, back home now.

Great fun, felt good until a small cramp attack around mile 20, then Ok run most of the way up W (apart from the steep bits) and started down with circa 25 mins to hit my target of 4.30, down hill all the way image and started to think I was going to do it....  cramp hit, imagethink it was the cold in the more exposed area, sat on a rock for a few mins and could barely walk down the hill.  Got to the more sheltered bottom and found I could run again up the small hill round the back of the village.  Frustrating.  Still - 4.46 for my first marathon in such conditions etc. (and being an old fart) I can't be too unhappy ! 

Thanks to those who said hello on the way round and those supporting on the route. Didn't hang around much at the end as the family were a little drenched (waited quite a while in case I had a flyer)  - brought a bag of roobarb and custard sweets to share out but guess I'll have to eat them all myself image

hmm... Windermere, Smowdonia 08 .... maybe I can improve.

Well done everyone !!!!!

• Congrats all!

Reasonably pleased with my time of 3:27. All went fairly well - given the wind! - until  the descent at mile 24. Legs completely seized up & I really struggled coming off the slopes, particularly the tarmac at the top. Probably serves me right for running up the hill at Waunfawr in the first place!

Garmin tells me it was 25.32 miles. Any advance on 4045 feet of ascent?

JB: if you're still struggling to unlock Garmin: "To power the unit back on, press the "Mode" and "Reset" buttons at the same time. Let go of those two buttons, press the power button, and the unit will turn back on."

http://www.heartratemonitor.co.uk/garmin_forerunner_reset.html 

Trust the R&R is going well for all.... 

• Deb, the 1st lady was just being a wimp! had to keep moaning at her all the way up that massive hillimage if she would have stopped and walked she may not have started running again! I left her at the top and flew down the other side, must have overtaken about 10 runners. couldn't slow down it was hurting my toes every time i tried to put the breaks on! so if you saw a maroon vest hurtling past it was me, sorry i didn't stop to chatimage 

On the subject of jell wrappers i threw mine to spectators and asked them to bin them for me, no one minded.

Felt ok at the end and sprinted over the line to get under 3:10, someone on the course told me it was the qualifying time for the Boston marathon ( not that i'm doing it )image

my legs are hurting!!

• karl,

Qualifying time for Boston is sub 3.15 i believe  (for us young guns)   image

I remember you now...... recall a guy stopping and turning back with the 1st lady runner, then carrying on running, i remember the maroon vest too  !

You both passed me just before the top of the hill, not that you'd recall but i did say 'well done 1st lady runner'  (that wasn't aimed at you btw)  image

You did very well to get sub 3.10 then from that point on ( 3 mins quicker than me ) as i too pushed down the hill with the lady runner alongside.  She didn't moan to me, so perhaps you didn't 'charm' her enough !  LoL

• karl,

Qualifying time for Boston is sub 3.15 i believe  (for us young guns)   image

I remember you now...... recall a guy stopping and turning back with the 1st lady runner, then carrying on running, i remember the maroon vest too  !

You both passed me just before the top of the hill, not that you'd recall but i did say 'well done 1st lady runner'  (that wasn't aimed at you btw)  image

You did very well to get sub 3.10 then from that point on ( 3 mins quicker than me ) as i too pushed down the hill with the lady runner alongside.  She didn't moan to me, so perhaps you didn't 'charm' her enough !  LoL

• It was me moaning at her.

I can't remember the last time i made a woman moanimage

• sorry Karl, my mistake.

Did you pace her from the start ?

Btw, that guy calling out to runners at the finish was 'barking mad'  !!!!

He'd be shouting daft things like "you've got 55 seconds to get a sub 5hr 15 min marathon, go on, you know you want to do it"     .................  'bloody crackpot'    image

• Thoroughly enjoyed yesterday. Saw Shades and Hammie before the start and was introduced to flying ant. Stayed at the same place as safety pin - nice to meet you and your friend. Didn't see T Rex - but we did look for you at the start. Met you on the hill last year but no sign of you yesterday, and looking at the results I can see why.

My friend felt really ill from about mile 16 so we slowed down a lot from then on to ensure she could finish. She did really well as it must have been awful feeling like that for 10 miles! We finally finished in 5 hours and some seconds (chip).  Last year was 4.41, so we will no doubt be back next year to give it another go.

Great experience thanks to the organisers, supporters, helpers and fellow runners. Well done to all finishers.

• My Garmin, threw a wobbler just before Beddgelert and by the end it was reporting that i'd ran 37.38 miles.  I uploaded the session to my computer this evening and after importing it into Sanoodi I could see where it had gone haywire.  To resolve it I then exported it as an XML file before painstakingly reading through it to find the bogus trackpoint entries (3 in total).  I deleted these and imported the session again.  Hey presto, it is almost spot on now.

http://www.sanoodi.com/route/mr-skinny/105101/25th-snowdonia-marathon/

My Garmin is the Forunner 301, did anybody else get wacky measurements?

• fh - sorry i didn't get to meet you but brilliant result for you after previous dissapointments earliier this year. must have been our words  of motivation earlier in the thread!!!nice one.
  • Great race. I went out too fast up Pen Y Pass and down the other side, got halfway in 1.45, but started struggling at 19/20, kept saying to myself, just 5 12 minute miles for an easy sub 4hr...just 4 11 minute miles...just 3 10 minute miles...and then gave up and came in at 4.02. Not bad for first marathon. But plenty of unfinished business to come back for next year!

Loved the descent into Llanberis - I'll keep some in the tank for it next year...

• morning all ... just about back in the land of the living ... 4:45, bit disappointed really as i got to 20 miles at 3 hours, all went a bit wrong after ... i blame the hills.  quads are still screaming at me for running down that last hill ... great race, i think i developed roobarb and custard blindness ... hey ho ...
  • Thanks CD, We will definately meet up at the high peak 40, or that damn dovedale dipper!!, its been good to chat through ladybower and snowdonia, and thanks for all the support, I am still gobsmacked by my time, but if I have to put it down to anything its that I was having a gret time and enjoying it, I didn't let the doubt creep in and it worked, so my tip for 2008, enjoy the run and smile a lot !!
  • fh - if you fancy another mild challenge there's the roaches fell race (meerbrook near leek) in 2 weeks time . 15miles and a lot of up and dowm but all off road.
  • What date is that I will see if I'm off.

Has anyone out there done the Belfast marathon, if so, whats it like, thinking it might be a laugh as they have a relay as well.

• fh - 11nov 10.30 (£3.50 i think). here's some stuff

A 3700ft climb and 15 miles weren't all the runners tackling Roaches Fell Race, near Leek, in Staffordshire, had to endure on November 13 as the local cows ...
    www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?UAN=2594&v=2 - 51k -

• its looks as if you are able to watch the highlights on the S4C website after its been shown this evening.

http://www.s4c.co.uk/e_index.shtml
  • Anyone see the nutter with the big army rucksack..it looked very heavy...must have been loads of jelly babies in there.....

• Hi all.

I feel like doing this run next year. The furthest I have ran is half marathon (after which I vowed never to do a marathon) do you reckon I coul be ready for next years?

I think you're all crackers but I had a look at the photos, saw the results of some of my feloow club runners and feel inspired to give it a go.  Should I do a crappy marathon like London first?

• stuff london

(sent on behalf of fr!)

• mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    I was sat by the nutter with the 40lbs rucksack on the bus up to the start. The worrying thing was that he hoped to come in under 5hrs! I cant recall his number to see how well he got on....
  • Hi all, that was a lot of fun wasn't it!!

I was running with Mark my clubmate doing his first, he was looking for around 4 hours which suited me (did a pb at Leicester 2 weeks ago-didn't want to push it and 4 hours is about my average at Snowdonia).  So we were on pace past halfway then he started struggling with  back problems.  Kept going though, and managed to finish in 4:14:38 while I was a few seconds in front (ok-I left Mark behind about 100 yards to go).

Really nice to meet up with people and I got presented with teh 100 marathon medal at the awards later on.

• PaulF - so what was in the rucksack - a big thermos? image

• KwakaKwaka ✭✭✭

CD & FH - if you decide to do the Roaches I hope you get better weather than we did yesterday. I did the Passing Clouds FR which also goes through the roaches and on the paths you just had to wade through knee deep mud. Hardly any firm ground. Sore calves and quads today.

I dont think it helped much that I ran 6 miles of Snowdon and cycled over the last hill to support.

• well done ultra hammie! what a great marathon to be your 100th ... i had been saying that i wouldn't do it again but now 48 hours on starting to think i could do with a set of coasters!  might see you next year.
  • Huge congratulations Hammie.  I am determined to join you one day (within the next 5 years).  Sorry we missed your presentation, but we hope to see you soon. You know you have to work for the '200' pin now don't you?!?!

Best wishes

One Blue Leg & Co

• I was behind chap with the rucksack for a while, and I couldn't believe he was in the race.  I thought he was a walker out for the day, and had just decided to jog along for a bit.  I went past him at about 6 or 7 miles, and saw he had a number on.  Couldn't believe it!! Anyway, he didn't come past me again, so I doubt he made 5 hrs - I was 4.54.  Imagine that in boots!!!! Ouch!!
  • kwaka - i've seen the pictures! made snowdon look totally tropical. glad you had muddy fun. its my home turf (or mud)
  • Ultra Hamster - I met you at the ceremony.  I was the woman with Ultra Minnie.  Well done on getting your 100, and a lovely memento. 

Don't think I'll make 100 myself.  It's took me 4 years to do 4.  And I always say 'never again'. 

• A final titter from me..

Tony Blair started jogging near his new home after he left Downing Street but on each run he happened to jog past a prostitute standing on the same street corner, day after day.

With some apprehension he would brace himself as he approached her for what was most certainly to follow. "Fifty quid!" she would cry out from the curb. "No, a fiver !" fired back Blair .

This ritual between Tony and the hooker continued for days. He'd run by and she'd yell, "Fifty quid!" And he'd yell back, "A Fiver!"

One day however, Cherie decided that she wanted to accompany her husband on his jog!

As the jogging couple neared the problematic street corner, Tony realised the "pro" would bark her £50 offer and Cherie would wonder what he'd really been doing on all his past outings.

He realised he should have a good explanation for his wife.

As they jogged into the turn that would take them past the corner, Tony became even more apprehensive than usual.

Sure enough, there was the prostitute! Tony tried to avoid the tart's eyes as she watched the pair jog past.

Then, from the pavement, she shouted... "See what you get for a bloody fiver