Lake Vyrnwy Half-Marathon

Comments

• Well the Lake Vyrnwy Half is actually part of my training for the Dublin Marathon but I expect I'll have to walk some of the marathon itself as I've left it all a bit late! More interested on staying on my feet for an extended period of time rather than distance in the training so just going to keep buidling and see how it goes! I know I can walk the distance in both cases already (do a lot of hiking), just got to move my legs a bit faster!!!!
  • yeah it is bad after I've been sitting down or first thing in the morning. It hasn't bothered me while I've been running up until yesterday, I struggled to walk home after running a particulary hilly 7 miles. I'm going to keep off it until Sunday (doing Tough Guy) perhaps a little cycling and swimming instead.
  • good plan snail, all the best for dublin

fizz - try rolling a ball under your foot while you're sitting still - some people use a golf ball but i prefer a tennis or rubber (dog's) ball or even those stress buster ones you're supposed to squeeze to stop you hitting people will do fine.
    plenty of calf and achilles stretches should help keep things loose too
  • Thanks Clink. I've been doing the calf stretches and I can feel it pulling at my heel too :( I'm off to get a ball today along with a new pair of trainers. The unit in the back of my Asics has a puncture!!! Something to console myself.

I'm off on a bike ride soon but I'll be tearing my hair out this evening as it's a training night and I daren't run. I'm confident I'll make Sunday but it's the long term training for Vyrnwy I'm worried about. I just think I've done too much too soon so I'll back off and see if that helps.

Good luck for the Dublin Marathon..I'm with you stsp, if I have to walk some of it then I'll do that, just as long as I finish in one piece and before the cut off time :)

How's that knee Snail Lady?

• Got a bit behind with the thread. Hi everyone. Nice to see snails aplenty still. lol.

Hey Clink any advice for dodgy knees?

Fizzog you just canny sit still can you?? - and before you mention CANOES!!! just dont get me started...

The knee aches intermittently in this cold damp weather - had a week off so not sure whats going on. Doing a slow short run at the club tonight - see how i fair - careful on that bike - you dont need another puncture lol. NEW TRAINERS - he he he you know what the rules! Cant wait to see you back at the club in them : )
  • Hi peeps,
    Managed an 8 miler on tues and going for about 7 miles tonight, still not managed the 11 miler I keep saying will happen every weekend ;-( but am going to do it this saturday with lady from club, so hopefully will stick to it as I`ve made an arrangement!

Havent a clue where I`m driving to getting to Lake V - hope they do evening meal at the b & b as I want to stay put sat evening incase I get lost venturing out!

Have definitely not trained enough but figure I`m just going to enjoy the run and not beat myself up about it...Helz x
  • Fizzog - with a cut off time of 8 hours I can't see that being a problem ;o) (touch wood!)
  • Hiya Helen,

You sound pretty fit/quick anyway, I'm sure if you just slow down your normal pace that you do your 7 / 8 miles at, you'll be fine for the full distance on the day. Not done a long one for a few weeks, attempting 12 or 13 Sunday : /.

Am all for not beating selves up - after all we do it cuz we enjoy it - do we? dont we?? why do we do it? answers on a postcard .....lol
  • Hi Snail Lady, we must enjoy it otherwise we wouldn`t plug away regardless of the fact we suffer so many injuries!

I think it`s the buzz of the outdoors that`s the biggest incentive for me - fresh air and clearing head space ;-) and also being able to eat what you like cus` you`ll `run it off`...it`s kind of a gold card to all things naughty. Mmmm.......
  • Yeh Helen i have always said that too, that running is like a spring clean for the mind.

Big fan of all things naughty too lol.

• DazTheSlugDazTheSlug ✭✭✭
    right - survived my fell-race last night,
    so yer proverbial Long Slow Run lined up for Saturday...
    my "normal" Big Loop is 11.7M, but might go mad and attempt an "Over-Distance" run for the first time ever...
    :-/
  • good luck daz, i think i'll have to do my long run on saturday too this week on account of other stuff happening on sunday.

hi snail lady - i'm not particularly good with knees i'm afraid. mr C has had cruciate ligament damage (from football) and had 2 arthroscopies on it so i know what a pain they can be.
    his advice from physio was one legged squats keeping your back straight - could try it and see if that helps?

good training guys, keep those miles going.
    i did tempo today which wasn't as good as last time on account of having done 10 X 100m sprints in the middle of 6 miles last night. and i'm certainly no sprinter!
    expect it must be doing me good, i feel whacked again.

• Helen, if you're doing 7 and 8 miles you're well on track with your training according to the RW schedule I'm following. I have to do a 10 mile run a week on Sunday apparently...! but then, I'm no expert :{

I envy all of you being able to run. I'm off my feet now until Sunday, I've got this close and don't want to mess it up now.

Where was your fell race Daz and how did you get on?

wheeled my trusty steed out today. Rode about 10 miles before my butt started complaining! And what's with the bumper crop of nettles? they were everywhere...my legs are tingling like mad now...I even got stung on my chin...I know I'm small but I'm not that small
  • hi good people.

does anyone know of or can recommend any nice places to stay the night before the race, might as well try and make a weekend of the nice scenery. (price range moderate)

thanks!
  • Hi Fizzog,

Good to know I`m on track then :) I worried I hadn`t done enough long runs, but doing a 10/11 miler tomorrow.

A lady at the club told me if I did x 2 back to back 8 milers, this would give me the same benefits as one long 12/13 miler? Or at least similar. Does anyone train this way? Helz x
  • I'm no expert, Helen and I think everyone is different. But my advice would be to take it slowly...isn't the rule of thumb something like increase your runs by no more than 10%. If you take a look at the basic runners world schedule you'll see that you don't have to be running 10 miles until next week and then up your long runs by a mile a week...run a 10K on the sunday before the race followed by a mile cool down. But then you may want to aim for a faster time, in which case I think it suggests you run 4 times a week. Like I said though, I'm no expert, so, what does everyone else think?

I've upped my training a little too much lately and I'm suffering with a sore heel now. This is the second time I've done too much too soon and ended up having to rest for a while. But you know what it's like, you get carried away! But the last thing I'm thinking about is running 10 miles next Sunday :(
  • Fizzog - wot 10km race r we doing on the 2nd then : ) knees and heels permitting....

having to go back to 8miles tomorrow cuz of knee : (

how was your big one helen???
  • erm...I'll have to keep a look out for a convenient 10K... you wait until you see what I've got in store for November!!! Heels and knee permitting of course!
  • Adair - leaving it this late it is a case of what is available - best bet is to speak to the Lake Vyrnwy Tourist Information Centre who for just £1 will sort you out with accommodation close to the start - 01691 870346 - They are very helpful.

Good Luck
  • Clink i meant to say thanks for the knee advice - been advised to stay away from squats, bodypump : (, cycling (unless have a real mother of a high seat, spinning, high heels (during the day - can still be vixen by night lol), swimming breaststroke - which is the only one im comfortable with ! and generally anything that involves bending of the knee (running then.....?) Gotta do 100 reps of leg raises - leg straight - on each leg every day. Seems to help - went out for 8 miles today, and ended up doing 10 miles.

when you say November, Fizzog, do you mean the slog? dont tell me theres more? I might emigrate for the winter lol
  • Hi guys,

I did my 10 miler on Saturday, I think it was closer to 11 according to a club runner that mapped it out. Took it really slow and quite enjoyed it, a little worried about time though as it took 2 hours, and I want to do under 2 hours for Lake V but it`s an extra 2 miles! I did do a few hills though so hoping that if Lake V flat might pick up some speed. All in all it wasn`t as bad as I thought, but my hips were a bit achy.

Helz :) x

• Where does it start from please? (Did try to get a place but it's full so might try it before or after the race)
  • DazTheSlugDazTheSlug ✭✭✭
    Fizzog - my fell race was Shining Tor - 6.6M and 1600ft ascent
    I thoroughly enjoyed it, staggering round in about 71 mins, and finishing 15 from the back (so not a complete disgrace!)

Helz - I don't think you should be worried about the time for your 10-11 Miler - you said you took it slow and tried to enjoy it, which is the best attitude for long training runs at this point - you should be able to go quicker on race day.

There's still time for a couple more long runs before the race anyway.
    A couple of good ways of training up to go a bit faster are:
    race-pace practice: jog a couple of miles REALLY slow, then run 5-6M at target race-pace (9:00-9:10 mins/Mile), then jog 2-3M really slow to finish off.
    "late pace" run: jog 6M easy/relaxed/slow as poss, then try to run the last 5-6M at target pace (or faster if poss!)

I survived my 12-Miler on Saturday - jogged most of it nice and easy, but tried to "push" the odd mile here and there down to 9:00 pace.
    I actually managed to run the penultimate Half-Mile in 4:17 which I was pleased with :o)
    (I was imagining "sprint-finishing" Lake Vyrnwy, needing to run the last half-mile in 4:30 to break 2hrs)
  • Well done Daz, sounds absolutely fantastic. Glad you enjoyed yourself. I love off road but not sure how I'd get on with the ascents. :{

Well done Helz, you're all making me panic now...I've only done 8 miles at most and I've had a week off because of Tough Guy!

Mind you, I did spend 4.5 hours tackling an 8 mile assault course round Mr Mouse Farm yesterday...I ache in places that have no right to ache! I think I pulled my knee at one point near the end but I'm not sure if I've done any damage because I ache so badly everywhere else at the moment! At least it's taking my mind of my heel :)

Snail Lady, that race in November is just a little amble around a forest track.. ask anyone about Hellrunner and they'll tell you how pleasant it is...honest ;)
  • Thanks for the training tips Daz The Slug, I`ve never tried the race-pace or late-pace methods but I`ll def give it a go. Nice one on your 12 miler!

Fizzog - don`t worry, an 8 mile assult course is undoubtedly much tougher than a half marathon! 8 miles is the most I had done too until last weekend but trust me, you`ll surprise yourself. The last time I did a long run (before last wkend) was the half marathon I did end of March...ages ago! You sound very fit so it`s not as if you`ll really struggle - best to make sure your fully recovered from injury.

If it`s any consolation, I was injured before the last half mara I did, and couldn`t train for 2-3 weeks running up to the race - up until the day before I was having sports massage and had had some physio to - but on the actual day I was ok, probably cus I had rest more than anything and not pushed it. I`ll look out for you and we can have some jelly babies and a natter :)I know it`s really hard to rest but that`s what you really need. If you really are itching to do something why dont you try some gentle swimming or a pilates class to stretch your achy muscles, I find it still feels as if I`ve worked q. hard as it`s alot of core strengthening.

Helz x
  • tch, see, I knew I should have checked in here before going running...Actually, I did 5 miles tonight and although I felt ok I know I should be resting :{ I've never tried pilates...and stretching is supposed to be good for us...and apparently a tight IT band is causing some of my problems so I should give it a go. And I've been meaning to go swimming too.

Problem is I've lost quite a bit of weight and I'm frightened that if I stop running it'll just start to creep back on...well, that and the fact that I don't want to lose my fitness again...

Common sense does tell me though that if i push myself too hard I'll be forced to stop whether I like it or not...it's a funny business this running. I didn't think I'd even keep it up let alone get addicted!
  • Oh, and Jelly Babies and a natter sounds great to me, we'll be at the finish before we know it :)
  • Hi Fizzog,

Glad you managed a 5 miler, maybe for the next week or two try going out for shorter runs, maybe do x2 3 milers rather than one longer one? Will be less strain on injury. I find you do actually get the same buzz...you just need to be strong willed enough to stop and not be tempted to carry on! I think you`d be surprised at the weight thing, it`s psychological really, when you dont run you feel as though you have put on weight when you prob weigh exactly the same. Plus, you may find you eat slightly less when not running(I`m always starving after a long run so eat bigger dinners and more `naughties`). Swimming would still burn a fair few calories and you will feel you`ve worked, I found that my upper body ached a bit after swimming and also my inner thighs (if you do breaststroke). You def know you`ve worked your muscles and you`re building strength-plus your stomach muscles will ache after pilates. If you`re anything like me it`s just the fact you want to be doing something! With my injury I also went for a couple of walks which was nice as you still get the fresh air and excercise without putting too much strain on your injury. Another option would be to do some weights? Body pump classes are good as you work all your muscle groups, just don`t go too heavy on legs or they`ll feel like lead for next run.
    Hope this helps - know exactly how you feel and how frustrating it is but the main thing is you want to be fit/ as injury free as you can be, for lake v, so when you`re resting try and see it as part of your training.
    Helz :) x
  • Thanks Helz It's all good advice. I'm planning on going swimming tonight if I can. I'd like to go rock climbing again as it helps my upper body strength. I'm not a lover of gyms and weights...I tend to get a little bored

I haven't had any adverse reaction from my five mile run so I'll probably resume training but I will wait a couple of weeks before I do any longer runs.

At least I'm feeling more positive now and am really looking forward to the race.

• Nice one Fizzog :) You`ll be great. Enjoy your swim - know what you mean about gyms being boring, especially when we`re used to the great outdoors.

Rock climbing sounds fun, never tried it.

Helz :)