well here is what the fuss was about.

Comments

• Where are the original comments and post then? Still where they were originally posted.

Okay, so maybe Hoose could have left off the 'Hi Scrappy' so as to preserve identity but seriously .... what identity???
  • minty I'm not going to enter an argument, I have made my feelings quite clear, whether you agree or disagee is up to you.

My opinion of Hoose and his behaviours are exactly that, no more or less than my opinion
  • Hoose - thanks for email, & apology accepted. I don't like to take disagreements off-forum as I'd rather keep arguments to ideas rather than people, so I'd rather others can comment too - but thanks.
  • I'm not looking for an argument beebs and I'm perfectly comfortable with you disagreeing with me ... but it won't stop me having my opinion either!

And for the record, Hoose did apologise for his "sloppy" comments on the original thread.
  • Beebs - but why do you complain to RW towers about Hoose - why not just have it out with him on a thread OR ignore him. The forum is about voicing opinions (well partly) and you seem to want to silence Hoose's.
  • Popsider,because I think he is a menace and potentially a danger to people who are already in a very vulnerable position.

I don't believe one can discuss things like this with Hoose,they become totally Hoose focused.

Expressing his opinions is fine, but notwith his counsellors hat on.

That is totally unprofessional and I'm sure in breach of any governing body he may be bound by.

If he wants to start daft threads about poo and grammar so be it,I do ignore them . I don't believe he should be proffering medical advice when he is clearly in no fit state to do so.
  • You know, Hoose, I appreciated your e-mail. But, to carry on this arguement is ridiculous and my heart totally goes out to scrappy! She started a thread asking for advice that has totally been blown out of proportion, but it was titled 'Depression'. Anyone with no interest in it would leave it alone, but 'Heres what all the fuss is about' leads prople into it, further advertising her problem. Yeah, I have depression and am on Anti-d's, but all this cr@p is actually making all of us feel worse, and singled out. PLEASE LEAVE IT ALONE!
  • You're so right Kirrie. It is completely disproportionate.

Actually, all of this puts me off posting at all.

The thing that really upsets me is that Hoose's intentions were honourable and good and not intended to hurt. I think he's genuinely devastated that it has caused anyone any upset - hence starting this thread.

Anyway, it seems we won't be hearing from Hoose again and so I'm sure a few people will be feeling quite pleased with themselves now.
  • It's not that anyone wants him to stop posting, it's just thoughtless to carry on this debate into a second day. Instead of those of us with depression helping each other, it's become an unnecessary arguement that has REALLY upset us all. I wish he had just left it. Loads of us are very p*ssed off and offended.
  • (((Kirrie)))

I think you're crediting Hoose with being a bit more selfless than he is.

I think the true reason for him starting this thread was that he felt so bad for upsetting people and he wanted to make it clear that his original wording was not intended to be offensive.

I suffer from depression (off and on) and have had counselling in the past. I harbour a fear of anti Ds (rightly or wrongly) and have thus far avoided them.

I can truly understand the ongoing argument being upsetting but I truly believe the purpose of this thread was for clarification rather than ongoing hurt.
  • was thinking of giving up running today

fed up with physical discomfort and being VERY slow

but then came accross this thread

thought about you all and decided to carry on why you may or may not ask?

realised how many peeps have been helped by running and how it can pull peeps together ie remember the race you never thought you'd complete then a complete stranger, a fellow runner offers a kind word, a sweet etc. Thought of you all and knew that despite some of your differences I knew you'd help each other.

The printed word can often cause so much trouble if only we could see the problems it can cause in advance I'm sure no-one in hindsight would really have wanted to hurt/offend anyone. Feel like I've intruded, apologies but again thankyou for giving me the desire to plod again.

See you all at the next race and mines a jelly baby....
  • What a lovely post. Thanks Sue.

Let's not lose sight of the fact that we do all help each other.

I think deep down we all know Hoose didn't mean to offend. That he did is yesterday's news.

Whatever happened to forgiveness?

<sigh>
  • He was forgiven last night, but he dragged it on, and on, and on. Most of us knew that he didn't mean to offend, but by starting this thread he has offended again! Also found a thread he started, saying he's not posting anymore, and 'Goodbye'. That is totally unnecessary, but have a feeling that he's going for the sympathy vote, which by the looks of it, some people who have posted on it thinks so, too.

Just wish he'd left it well alone.......
  • I know. And maybe, in retrospect, he should have. Although I think it did blow way out of proportion and I'm afraid I'd probably do exactly what he did in an effort to vindicate myself.

Hindsight's a wonderful thing isn't it?
  • Perhaps Hoosey needs to learn not to worry so much whether he's offended or not.

Reading back on original thread, I don't think people were as upset as this thread has made it appear and perhaps Hoose took a bit too much on board.

Yes, a few people took exception but having their say was all the recompense they needed. One person requested a retraction and all but got it when Hoose reappeared and realised he'd offended.

I think you're right Kirrie. He should have left it there but as I said, hindsight is a wonderful thing and it's easy for me to sit and say all of that. Had I been in Hoose's shoes I'd have been worried sick about having offended and would then, possibly, have started this thread when it was obviously best left alone.
  • I agree. It's sad, though that he wont post again. Alot of his stuff made me laugh!
  • Me too Kirrie.

Lordy! I feel like blubbing! LOL

I hope you feel better Kirrie and realise that Hoose wasn't out to upset.
  • Beebs. Thankfully this forum is not governed by the governing bodies of counselling or any other profession.
    If in your opinion Hoose gives bad advice then say so - the fact remains that he is a qualified counsellor of some sort so why should he keep quiet about that any more than people like V'rap or Hipps should about being doctors.

I think the danger is not Hoose but that we'll get a situation where people dare not state an alternative position for fear of being jumped on - it's not as if there aren't lots of posters on the other thread disagreeing with him.
  • Popsider I am stepping away from this whole affair, but have emailed you via the site.
  • Pops - everyone gets disagreed with on the forums. I don't expect everyone to agree that we should all go and live in a car-free vegan eco-commune and knit our own tofu. But if I'm rude to people in saying that, then I should expect people to be rude back. I hardly think that Hoose is the first person to be taken to task over their opinions or they way they express them, & he certainly won't be the last (happened to me enough!). That's not in itself a bad thing, and if everyone agreed all the time, much of the point would be gone from the forums. If 'Dr' McKeith turned up, I'd bawl her out for basic errors of fact, and there's been plenty of debate on the boards about all sorts of 'complementary/alternative' medicine, some of it rather 'robust'. That's just as it should be.
    'Counsellors' aren't qualified to prescribe or advise on the use of antidepressants, but too few people realise that counsellors aren't necessarily qualified in anything.
    Hoose apologised to me for confusing his personal opinions with his role as a counsellor, which is what I really objected to, and AFAIC that's that.

FYI, there isn't a required entry qualification for counselling - the nearest thing to a governing body is the BACP, but that's voluntary - you can get chucked out and still call yourself a counsellor with no legal come-back whatsoever, unlike being a medical doctor or psychologist - it's not a title protected in law. All you need to do to call yourself a counsellor is have paper, pen, and a bit of sellotape to stick the sign to your front door. (not written to 'have a go' - I believe Hoose is BACP-registered which is a Very Good Thing - but I think it's an appalling state of affairs which too few people are aware of, leaving people open to exploitation and incompetence when they are most vulnerable).
  • DG - I don't get why that is a response to me ? I am not saying people shouldn't disagree with Hoose, I'm saying they should disagree with him on the forum rather than try and censor the debate and then I'll make my own mind up. If people think Hoose is dangerous then say it on the forum - don't try and protect us by getting RW to pull threads. That's pretty much what you've said in the first half of that post - we agree don't we?

• Pops - yep, do agree on that, and I actually posted earlier that I wasn't going to get into behind-the scenes emails (Hoose, if you want to discuss things with me then please post - I'm not getting into a behind-the-scenes argument or ad hominem attacks - and if you don't want to be on the forums then stop reading for a bit). But I was trying to explain why it's not appropriate for someone to give advice on antidepressant medication with a counselling hat on, or to talk about being a counsellor then give advice over the forums in the same post - I know that this is not what counsellors do professionally, and hence it could not be practising via Internet which would be a Bad Thing, but because the title 'counsellor' is unregulated & used so loosely it could be interpreted as that by the unwary.
    I also think that anyone who takes 'professional' advice from Internet forums too seriously is very unwise - but it's good practice to make it clear that that's not what you are doing.
  • I've been on another forum where someone who posted for the best part of the year, claiming (fairly credibly) to be a practising clinical psychologist, turned out not to exist. In that time she had asked the 100+ members of a linked 'hidden' forum to fill in a detailed questionnaire on their experiences around depression and self-harm - great source for the next impersonation.

There were all sorts of personalities that the person behind this had created, with all sorts of things going on in their lives (one died of cancer, then turned out to have been in a concentration camp in former Yugoslavia and to have had AIDS, there was a whole supporting cast to this, including a gay Rabbi, a computer-illiterate American husband, and many others, each of whom had detailed 'blogs', backstory, mailing lists, whole other forums, fake corroborationg details sneaked onto legit sites, etc etc; the psychologists' husband became paralysed by a car accident and was seriously ill; another identity had Asperger's syndrome and alcoholism, then got breast cancer, and had set up a whole website/support organisation/online forum for people with Asperger's...). People got very involved in all these things, and gave all sorts of time & support - at one point I offered to adopt the dead person's cat, whereupon it swiftly turned out to have found another home.
    It was a deeply weird experience, and it was finally confirmed that these were all the same person because two 'identities' posted pictures of the same cat, which caused more technological digging (it's a heavily-trafficked site with upward of 12000 members) which eventually proved it - then the responsible person emailed the site admin to admit to it.
    Another site was definitely involved, and a third unrelated site had similar problems which may or may not have been the same person (there are reasons to think it was).
    I'd heard of Munchausen's by Internet before, but this was unbeliavably complicated, technologically sophisticated, and the amount of work which must've gone into creating the detailed backstory was just staggering. The details personal, professional, and medical managed to completely fool everyone, even those with professional knowledge & experience of the various illnesses etc claimed.

Anyway, the whole thing made me a lot more reluctant to take advice offered by internet. If I don't 'know' someone online fairly well, then I wouldn't take advice beyond '[link] is helpful' or 'go and see someone IRL!'

[No, I'm not trying to say that anyone on here is involved in anything like that. Just that the internet can be a much weirder and scarier place than I ever really considered - being told a bunch of stuff about being careful online is not the same as having it hit you round the head like that].
  • Duck Girl, that is probably the best post you've ever made.
  • what happened to the cat ?
  • Duck Girl has raised an important point. I think that this forum is fantastic and provides so much advice and support - so long as you recognise that all of the advice offered is personal and may not always be entirely accurate. I also don’t think it’s good for people to post problem after problem after problem (and that's aside from it getting slightly annoying in the end). Yes, you’ll get bucket loads of sympathy and help (which is great if you genuinely need it) but it seems to sometimes encourage people who are clearly quite vulnerable to rely on an almost virtual world of friends rather than seeking the professional help that they seem to need, which is sad.

No offence is intended by this, but these are just my honest feelings on the matter…
  • I wouldn't worry about Hoose not posting....

He stated that he would post again as someone else. This sounded like a veiled threat because if you saw Hoose name now you were aware that some comments were made just to stir up trouble and to get reactions. Now with a different name he might cause more trouble because he might be taken seriously by more people...
  • This whole episode has depressed me more than I would have thought possible.

I know Hoose upset people but the very thought that it might have been intentional and that he might want to disguise himself just to do it over again is incomprehensible to me.

I know we're all virtual friends but I have always valued being able to post on here. I feel so down now that I don't know whether I want to any more.
  • <jaw drops>
    thanks.
    AFAIK the cat still belongs to whoever was behind the multiple identities (definitely female, probably not living that far from my parents by co-incidence). If I ever see it, I will give it some cat biscuits.

I actually started posting on the site mentioned above after a friend (who was a regular poster) was in a very serious car crash and was at serious risk of death or brain damage. Although I didn't 'know' anyone on there, lots of people were concerned about my friend and offered much-appreciated support, wrote letters to him in hospital from all round the world, travelled a long way to visit, and were generally rather wonderful (this was before the 'MBI' events).
    Whatever - I'd rather help lots of people who don't need it than miss out on the one who does, and I'd rather trust people and be wrong sometimes than miss out on friendships and support. But - it was an important lesson that the Internet is never quite the same thing as real life.

I'm sure most people on here would be astonished if they learned of my true identity as a retired stockbroker who divides his time between weeks in Surrey working for the Conservative party, and weekedns flying my private jet to my estate in Scotland to hunt peasants (having wiped out the local peasantry, we are now importing funny-coloured ones to keep the shooting moors in good condition).