Thursday 6th March

Good morning-if thats what you call this ungodly, sleepless hour!
what-club, track sesh tonight(if i'm still awake)
why-need a quality sesh this week
last hard- Mondays long brisk run
last rest- week last Sunday
Have a good day everyone
Enjoy!!

Comments

• No running day five.

Looking at all yesterdays posts I'm amazed at the number that come in so late - personally I have to be in bed by 10:30 at the latest otherwise I'm completely wrecked - I would say I need my beauty sleep but MrsH would say "no amount of beauty sleep........etc.etc".

Am getting used to not running by completely knackering myself with other exercise, yesterday did 18k on the stationary cycle plus 10 minutes of rowing and some gymball exercises. Also joined a local gym yesterday which at 37 Euro a month seems like a bit of a bobby bargain plus they open at 7:00 am - bonus.

Today: Not sure, depends on work could be a rest day.
    Why: Weekly rest day.

Remember - make it fun!

• Fun, marathon training????????????/

Actually, im allowed 5 miles slow today

Yippee
    (and thats 20 miles already this wekk, im gonna get over 30 with reading!)
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Morning

What:10 miles steady marathon pace
    Why:schedule
    Last hard:yesterday
    Last rest:Tuesday
  • 3TL3TL ✭✭✭
    Morning,

What: Maybe, just maybe a short 3M depending on the Physio
    Why: Knee had been very sore but mostly cleared up
    Last Hard: Sat
    Last Rest: yesterday
  • Morning All,

continuing with my theme of easy week, I'm going to vanish from desk at lunch for a 2 hour slow plod but shush....don't tell the boss. It looks a beautiful day out there.

Away for the weekend (hopefully do a bit of running around Hamburg if my mate can sort me a route out), so good luck to all those racing this weekend.

Have a good one

• Morning all.

What: 5 miles hard
    Why: Per schedule
    Last Rest: Saturday
  • Morning everyone.

What: 6 miles easy
    Why: recovery from yesterday's tempo run
    Last hard: yesterday
    Last rest: Friday
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Morning,
    Monique, yes the speed session on yesterdays should've been 3ks - as Laura says this was posted on FLM forum a couple of weeks back - although I didn't get a prize for spotting it :-(

Yesterday : Woking 2.85mile handicap at lunchtime. Having run 18.07 in December I wanted to beat that. Went off at a steady pace and on the middle stretch was full on into the wind. Tried a kick at the end but there wasn't much in the tank! Still pleased with 17.29 over 30s off the pb and just about 6.10 miling. Not too bad, sub 17 (ie sub 6.00 miling) the next goal....
    Evening : 5 miles supposedly easy but it was hosing down and rushed round in about 36 mins.

Halfway round a guy pulls out of a sidestreet and suddenly stops half way out, I just miss him but catch the back of his car with a slap of thigh and arm. About 1/4 mile later (still in p1ssing rain) , same car drives past , window down : "you alright mate, didn't see you".....(I was wearing flourescent yellow Ron Hill jacket)
    "sorry mate, really sorry , just wanted to check you were OK"

Made my run anyway...

Today : hopefully 10k tempo (halfM pace) in 42:30
    Why : Speedwork 2 - fear I may struggle after yesterday, still I'll give it a crack...

Last Hard : yesterdays lunchtime run
    Last Rest : Monday
  • Good morning!

What: 7-ish mile easy run.
    Why: Just notching up some mindless mileage really. Might do some striders. Shorter distance than I'd otherwise have done because I'm tapering for Reading on Sunday. Also starting to consciously increase the carbs a little.
    Last rest day: Friday.
    Last hard day: Yesterday. Four miles of treadmill intervals (managed two 2-min "intervals" at 7.5mph on a 5% incline, so I am well pleased with my progress there) and an hour of weights. And a little swim which was attenuated by the pool getting too crowded and splashy for it to be worthwhile continuing.

My personal trainer gave me a training schedule that she'd kindly worked out to see me through to London. She admitted having put it together with reference to the FLM website, RW, a couple of other "model" schedules and what I'd told her about my timetable. My first thought was "Three-mile runs? No way am I bothering to put my trainers on for three miles", but the LSDs are there and it will do me no harm to substitute some of my longer midweek runs with short, "quality" sessions. Not sure about all the time she wants me to spend on the elliptical to protect my knees. My knees are fine and I don't like the elliptical. We shall see!
  • SticklessStickless ✭✭✭
    Sympathize about elliptical -tried it once, for a very short time, and then got off. My feet didn't want to go that way. Come to think of it, didn't get on too well with the tready either. Ok to run on after a bit, but after getting off I staggered around for quite a while as if completely drunk, to the dismay of my host. Gym membership I think is not for me.

What: 4m. 40min. Was going to be long and slow (and a gorgeous morning for it!) but reaching incautiously over the breakfast table something sacroilliac area went snap. In years gone by it would have been horizontal and hit the a-i's, but this time I got by with swinging my leg a bit to get it back in line, and then every back friendly exercise I'd ever been taught.

Result: I still got out and ran. Back was not the problem. Actually, nothing was: it was a good if fairly plodding run. No walking, but no heroics either.

Tomorrow swimming is a must therefore. Think about long run at the weekend.

Martin - just a thought. You say you don't swim, but it's never too late to learn, and I rather think you'd enjoy triathlon. It would be quite some considerable feather in your cap if you could use your running hiatus to pick up that discipline. I could swim, but not front crawl, before swimming became my only form of exercise, but it was while I was off walking/running anything else that I learned front crawl. Triathlon, my one attempt, was Fun.
  • Four miles in 40 minutes doesn't sound like plodding to me, Marj! Well done.

I have to be careful when finishing tready sessions too, and bring the speed down very gradually over 2-3 minutes before stopping or I fall down as soon as I step off, a phenomenon which just doesn't happen with road runs. I assume it's because the running surface is moving.

I want to learn front crawl, and I especially want to learn butterfly so that I can wash all of the people who are just messing around in the pool away on a big tidal wave.
  • morning everyone

well done (again) Stickless....

what: nothing (if I can restrain myself)
    why: coach's orders from Tuesday night & as Belfast Phil says, he's the boss....

....only trouble is a) he's not looking b) it looks like a lovely day out, with a decent forecast for the rest of the day c) feel less knackered than yesterday

but I will try to behave....
  • Morning,

I'm so jealous of your personal trainer vrap, fancy having someone else researching training schedules just for you! Seems to me you've done the bulk of the preparation for the flm on your own already.

Nice run Marj.

What: 8 mile tempo run, 6 @ 1/2m pace.
    Why: like to do these every couple of weeks. And it'll be a good test of my current state, if I struggle at all I'll probably have 2 days off before long marathon pace run on Sunday.
    Last hard: Mon
    Last rest: Sun

Enjoy your rest day Martin, we don't want to see you posting any gymball overuse injuries now!
  • Morning

What : Steady / Hard 5
    Why : Club nite / feeling fat

Last hard : Monday
    Last Rest Yesterday

Will
  • Hear, hear - good going Marj.

And morning all.

What: 7 miles or so, steady, not too tough.
    Why: Get some miles in before my pre-race taper (hey, technical term!). And I want to.
    Hard: Club on Tuesday.
    Rest: Yesterday.

Pleasurable zooming, chaps.
  • MinksMinks ✭✭✭
    Very well done Marj, you're doing great. Fantastic progress to know that before you'd have been laid out and on anti-inflammatories; now you're managing a run!

Martin - triathlon ... now there's a challenge for you ...

What: Nothing.
    Why: Designated rest day and have to be up really early tomorrow for a work thing, so don't want to overdo it.
    Last hard: Last night's tempo run. Killer. It was throwing it down with rain. Normally I'd wimp out but last night I thought sod it, I'm determined to get back to my 'dream' 2003 schedule of 4 runs a week, which I haven't managed as often as I'd like. Ran just over 4 miles at 7:50 pace.
    Last rest: Tuesday.
  • Hi Peeps,

what: 1 hour on the turbo
    why: schedule says so
    hard: Tuesday
    last rest: yesterday

have a good day!
  • Martin I think you should do a triathlon- not being a swimmer isn't an obstacle, my mate Derek entered London- then learnt to swim!
    What 9 miles in 1hour and 5 mins
    Why on the schedule, though why I should believe a word it says,I think it is a misprint and what I should really be doing is 9x cream cakes stationary with 200mls Baileys recoveries.
  • I love triathlon - its a realy good 'feel good' sport - id also like to do next years powerman duathlon
  • drewdrew ✭✭✭
    Monique, I prefer your new schedule. Much more appealing. Does it still work if you replace the Baileys with Laphroaig?

What: Either 10 miles + at MP or 5 x 1.3 mile with .4 mile jog recovery.
    Why: Should do the 10 miles but feel that I need to do some more longer intervals + I've got a long MP run scheduled for Sunday.
    Last hard day: Tuesday
    Last rest day: Friday
  • Stickless - triathlon is a thought that has entered my mind on more than one occasion and its definitely the swimming part of it that has always put me off - or rather open water swimming. I am very, very tempted to have a go as when / if I return to running I can't see that I'll be able or want to run 6/7 days a week again. Its only the embarrassment of going for swimming lessons that stops me really..............watch this space.

Laura - do I detect a note of sarcasm in your tone about using a gymball? I think the more likely injury is falling off the ball whilst doing the aeroplane maneuver.
  • Afternoon all

What: 6 Miles starting slow and finsihing a lot faster
    Why: Schedule says so.

Last Rest: Monday
    Last hard: Thanet 20 on Sunday
    Last long: Thanet 20 on Sunday.

Good Running All!!
  • GodzillaGodzilla ✭✭✭
    cycling to and from work 26 mile round trip
  • SticklessStickless ✭✭✭
    Martin - how about just finding a friend to get you started? An awful lot of the value of swimming lessons is you actually do it. It is abundantly evident that you of all people will not need anyone watching you to make sure you actually get through the exercises on your lesson plan. You need someone to start you off, show you what exercises to practice and make sure you're doing them right, but then you can practice on your own for a week or so. Then go back for a second installment. I reckon swimming three times a week you'd make pretty rapid progress.
  • GodzillaGodzilla ✭✭✭
    oh yeah and about 2hrs 20 time to do it which makes me "elite runner speed" on a mountain bike
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    I went for swimming lessons about 8 years ago, felt a bit of a lemon wearing a rubber ring , but at least it partially removed my fear of water and was soon just about doing a width (unaided).
    Went to the 'improvers' and the first thing they wanted us to do was dive in the deep end. Jeez 8 weeks ago I felt nervous in 3ft of water. Bu88er that!
    Wish I'd carried on, still go in the water now , but not out of my depth, my 5 year old shows me up now.... Can swim on my back - a couple of lengthd or so - maybe I should go back for more lessons......

• Marj - I do have the offer from offer from someone in work who is a very good swimmer, so that might be an idea. I'm probably a bit like a lot of people in that I can swim (breast-stroke) a bit but never really tried front crawl (can never seem to get the breathing / drowning thing together). But now you're really getting me thinking.........
  • Afternoon All,

What: 3M
    Why: Bit of a taper prior to Sunday's race
    Last hard run: Tuesday
    Last rest day: Wednesday

Was planning on doing one of my regular Thursday track sessions (4 x 1600m @5K pace) today but got down there, did 1M warm-up and then the best I could manage on the first rep was close to 10K pace. Figured my body was telling me to rest up for Sunday so did 1M cool-down and called it a day. It was the most pleasant track session I've ever done ;-)
  • Good luck on Sunday MM, which race is it?

Martin, not sarcastic, just a tiny bit tongue in cheek, I'm actually really impressed with your cross training approach, but gym balls fall into one of those 'if anyone could see me doing this' type of fitness aids don't you think? That said, physio therapists have been using them for at least 30 years so...

Just have to report that my 8 mile tempo run wasn't the total disaster I'd half expected, did 64 mins incl a warm-up mile and the horrible hill at the finish, av hr 178 which is on the high side for the time and a minute slower than my best pre-Hlesby time for this loop but nevertheless has done wonders for my morale today.

In fact, I feel so good I reckon I could squeeze in Monique's scheduled session as well (the second one).
  • sorry to interupt but in my hour of sleepiness i forgot to disable e-mail notification now in-box full, ho-hum!!