Leeds Half Marathon

Comments

• My thoughts on the pub Stoxy - any pub is a good pub.
  • Stoxy
    Reckon the Scarborough Tap is as good as any. Will be making the trip to spectate and have a couple with peeps afterwards. I assume you're not running.
  • Doh if I actually bothered to read posts instaed of just scanning for the word "pub"!! See you Sunday folks. Best vantage points, anyone?
  • Treiziste - bought the book cos getting bored of my routes now and need to pluck up courage to go off road (specially as the moors are 1/2 mile up the road from where I live!)

Stoxy - Scarboro sounds good for me, can you warn the landlord and ask him to save a corner for us? or is that pushing it? ;O)
    thanks for organising x

hiya Huge, don't really know about vantage points, last year hubby watched all out and then all in from the headrow, then went for a maccy d's breakfast and a spot of gadget shopping! Will be nice to see you

s'funny, I never notice that last uphill either in this or abbey dash - think I'm too focused on getting a pint!!!

Emma, that sounds a sensible plan, I won't do anything over 5 tomorrow or thursday then a short slow 3 miles either friday or saturday

see you all on sunday :O)
  • can someone please remind me to bring jelly babies to the pub ;)

any pub is good for me, I'm not too fussy at that stage!

I'm running tomorrow night, then possibly into work on Friday and that will be it for me until Sunday.

I'm OK with eating before racing usually, although I'm experimenting with a couple of different options to give me a change from porridge so I don't know whether to go with those or stick to the tried and tested option.
  • will remind you and bring some as well YP1!
  • I'd prefer the Taps to Wetherspoons - can't really be doing with the multiple baseball hats... Isn't that bar in the square likely to be open? was the Cube but assume it's changed its name (again).

Had a worrying twinge in my shin as I set off for a steady 8 miler tonight, so sacked it at 2 1/2 and did 5 instead - think I'll give it a reast now til Sunday - irritating - no real problems after FLM then a poxy 5k seems to have made it flare up again!
  • I'm on for a drink or 2 at a pub after - the long-suffering hubbie deserves a pint after getting up with me at 7am on a Sunday! Don't know Leeds city centre, so will follow advice - Andy from Embsay - checked out one of your locals last weekend - I live in Cowling.
  • Morning all

So there could be quite a few of us for the pub afterwards.

As the football season is finished <stoxy stifles laughs about the local team> the Scabby Taps would be a good choice. Not sure that one in the square is open anymore. And I dont think it does a fine choice of ale, which my mate toby does.

Reasonably priced food too. But Im almost certain they dont allow kids or dogs, though there is an outside seating area, which does get v busy.

Shall I start a list. Will need some idea of numbers. And Ill give him a ring and provide a link to a map this aft.

Stoxy-purple kh vest-????
    Huge-spectating
    Probablesplease confirm. Ta.
    nsc and oh(more than likely!!)
    yp1 (must bring jelly babies!)
    Amanda s
    Andy from Embsay
    Treiziste

Anymore please feel free to add name and details.

Suppose Id better do some work :-(

• Stoxy-purple kh vest-????
    Huge-spectating
    nsc and oh(but of course)

Probables - please confirm. Ta.

yp1 (must bring jelly babies!)
    Amanda s
    Andy from Embsay
    Treiziste

do we want a pre-race meet spot like the right hand owl in front of the town hall (and green ribbons)?
  • Sounds silly but I found the hardest part of this course last year was just at the bottom of Hawksworth Road where you turn onto Abbey (kirkstall) road. I think it is around the 9 mile mark and it's a slight up hill for about half a mile. I wasn't prepared for this last year and it took a lot out of me.

The hills earlier on the course are a lot steeper but your legs are still fresh whilst you are dealing with them.

btw, are any of you lot doing the Apperley Bridge Canter race this year (Thursday 24th of May)? We host it so I will be marshalling of course but it's a very nice rural course that runs alongside the river in parts and on the canal on the way back. Could be the perfect recovery run after the Leeds Half Marathon. We run it sometimes as a training run and it really is a good route.
  • Martin I agree. That bit is a killer. And actually from there to past the abbey is actually not flat. Alright its not hilly but its not totally flat either.

Im doing the canter too.

<Oh no another horsforth harrier ;-)>

Pick an owl nsc. Ill be there!
  • ok, as you look at the town hall from millenium square, the owl on the right?

how was the bluebell trail? did you get lost, fall over or come last?!?!
  • Bluebell trail-no, no and no. Job done! Bl@@dy hard work. Took me 2:12!!! Trooper lane is officially the worst hill in Yorkshire!!!!
  • job done indeedy!

sounds tough - will consider it next year!
  • Just to add to Martin's comment about the Apperley Bridge Canter on May 24th (it's a nice, measured 10K by the way), I've started a forum for it:

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/forummessages.asp?dt=4&UTN=104329&last=1&V=2&SP=

Mike

• god I am not looking forward to these hills, think next time I should not read reports before attempting half marathons. Never been to Leeds so am hoping been fore warned will make it seem like a breeze - um don't think that is going to happen.

Hope there is no head wind going up the hill either!!!
  • They arent the worst hills ever flyingkiwi. They are just the sort of gradual hills that seem to never end! Oops sorry that probably didnt help either......

No there are much much worse hills in Yorkshire-try Pudsey tenk or Thorpe Edge tenk for a laugh!! Good races both but bl@@dy hard!!

Ill have a butchers at that in a mo mike.

nsc-Bluebell is a good laugh and even includes a river crossing at the end!!!
  • Keeper hill in Pudsey is a bit of a beast,and the ten k course in general for certain, apparently Huddersfield ten k is also a pretty tough one too!

Agreed dont think the whole leeds half route is particularly hard, i found the great north run route a lot harder.
  • GNR route is harder than people think actually!

Ive done huddersfield tenk. Its hell! When I did it it was hailstoning too!! Strangely still enjoyable.

Been on the phone to the Scabby Taps who will be putting a couple of tables aside for us on Sunday. They open at midday (which should be pretty good timing for me, Ill just cross the line grab the medal and run down to the pub!). Not usually busy on a Sunday as he said but wanted to warn them anyway!!
  • One to add to Stoxy's "Yorkshire Hills Hall Of Infamy":

The Guy Fawkes 10 Mile at Ripley, mile 5.

• The harrogate town centre 10k has a killer hill in it too and you have to do it twice (two laps!)
  • Oh yes mike. How could I forget Guy Fawkes. Dear god.........
  • http://www.multimap.com/maps/#t=l&map=53.7954,-1.54618|16|4&loc=GB:53.7954:-1.54618:16|ls1%205dy|LS1%205DY

Location of the Scarborough Hotel. Basically right opposite the train station. From the start/finish straight down Park Row. Start/finish is where the map says the art gallery is.
  • cheers Stoxy - thanks for organising this

see you by the owl on sunday morning!
  • crap, great north run is the next half I have entered so if I find Leeds to hard with the gentle ongoing forever hills I will pull a hammy before the GNR!!!

I am keen to do Cardiff this year like the description of it been fast & flat!! Certainly going to stay away from the above races mentioned.
  • Great races mentioned but hard work!!! Always the bl@@dy same in Yorkshire. Unless you fancy the Abbey Dash. Which I don't. Overpriced and only good for a pb (but I did meet lots of forumites last year which was great!).

See you at the GNR aswell kiwi.

Is it obvious I am avoiding work?
  • btw martin I thought Harrogate would be flat so youve put me off that one!!!
  • Stoxy - another race to add to the list of those that contain hellish yorkshire hills is the Liversedge half - great race though.

I too did bluebell 10 last sun - I agree with you Stoxy re trooper hill - and I thought I trained on some hard hills around skipton/keighley!! River crossing was indeed a "laugh" - I was berated by my husband for not attempting to run across - the thought never crossed my mind I was so shocked!
  • Nope, Stocy, the harrogate town centre 10k has some nasty hills in it. But it has one of the best finishes of any 10k I have raced.