Options

First Timer

Comments

• Options
    I certainly can't drink like I used to!
  • Options
    Haha, well if all goes to plan on the day for you Sarah I'm sure your tolerance will go right back up with all the celebrations!
  • Options
    Only for medicinal purposes of course!
  • Options
    Hi all!

Back to work after a lovely sunny easter weekend! Did my 10 miles on saturday, felt pretty good, but left calf area just a bit twingey. Also had a massage this morning- definitely recommend it, but don't leave it too late now as you can be a bit sore afterwards!

Sarah, how are you doing?
  • Options
    Hi tricky,
    I think i am going to ba able to do it!!
    Went for a 5miler on monday and did 4 this morning> i seem to have got rid of the problem with my thigh so fingers crossed I will be there!!

Know what you mean about the massage I usually limp out but it pays off a couple of days later!

• Options
    Hey, that sounds good. I'm jealous! I saw a physio last night - expensive... He's told me to lay off running for a whole week. Been given exercises to do to strengthen my inner quads. I so so so so so want to do the marathon!!! Feels strange not running, but I am on my feet all day. In fact, worryingly my right knee is aching today. Grr.
  • Options
    Hi guys,

I'm feeling more or less set, only 4 training runs between now and the big day. Did 13 miles yesterday and 6 miles every day for the 4 days before that so its mainly rest from now on

Top tips i've picked up...

Know exactly where friends and relatives will be standing - its something to look forward to

Break it up into stages with landmarks as the checkpoints ie cutty sark, tower bridge, canary wharf, tower of london, parliament, finish

Carry any gels or food you think you'll want with you, don't rely on giving friends stuff to hand to you from the crowd as you go round, you may well not see them.

Start off VERY carefully, the crowd will tow you along if you aren't careful. My first mile in my last half marathon was a full minute faster than i wanted it to be. Plus, the first 3 miles are downhill apparently.

That's it! And im no expert...

Good luck with injuries Sarah and Beth! Laura, chin up!

Tom x
  • Options
    Bad news from me. I went to see the consultant last night who has advised that I have a course of physio to sort my knee out. He said it was up to me if I wanted to run but from my training problems over the last few weeks he didn't think it'd do me any good. My choice, so i have decided to pull out. It really seems surreal as I know I've made my decision but I still can't help but think I still may be able to do it. Although I know it's too much risk.

Really proud of my fitness and the work I've put in but can't help feeling really disappointed.

Good luck to all of you, I hope the day goes well for you all and any niggling injuries are gone before the big day.
    tammi
    x
  • Options
    Sarah, I dont want to say it too soon but all sounds very promising for you, fingers crossed things stay that way and you make it to next week.

Tammi I'm so sorry to hear that, you must be so disappointed. But its a wise choice as you dont want to do any permanent damage. And you should be proud of what you have achieved so far. I hope that your physio helps to sort you out.

Tricky/Tom you guys sound set, a big good luck to you guys!
    I am feeling much better today, saw my osteo last night then went for a 6/7 mile run, it was comfortable and didn't need to stop so I'm hoping I'm back to health. ALthough this blimmin cough is giving me jip and it's making me sick when I get in from my run. It does seem to be clearing a little though.

Oooo so much to think about
  • Options
    Hi All,

Sorry to hear you have had to pull out Tammi afer all your hard work.

looks like you boys are going great guns. Well Done!!

Laura, yes it is fingers crossed, my thigh has been good but could hardly get out of bed this morning as my back has kicked off. I went out on a bike ride yesterday after doing the housework so i only hope it is because of that. I am in with the chiropracter tomorrow so hopefully she will click me back into place.
    Are you taking your garlic capsules and your echinacea ?
    Take care sarah x
  • Options
    Ooo no I haven't been taking garlic and echinacea - what do they do? Maybe I'll get some at lunch if they're going to keep me tip top. Just been taking Vit C and keeping up with fruits and veg
  • Options
    Hello All
    Tammi - sorry about your news...best to get better nd you can come back stronger next year!
    Sarah - delighted to hear you are going to join us!!! Not long now!
    Laura - I can't recommend garlic and echinacea enough. Rio Fair (what a soothing voice of calm) recommended them to me when I was low a few weeks back and it really helps clear out any respiratory disorders. Get yourself high strnegth garlic and echinacea in a liquid form - you then add 15 drops to a little water x2 a day. Tastes a bit weird but ok. Failing that if you are still really bad this time next week resort to drugs - get yourself some antibiotics. You want to be as well as you can be for the day!!
    I think (i hope!) i'm all set now. Had a fantastic pre event massage last night - they really do help to clear the legs out. Plan a few short runs over the next 10 days but nothing strenous. I've been having great fun ironing on transfers with my name etc i've printed off the computer onto my kit...think i've gone a bit mad as OH commented 'at least everyone will see you love'....
    getting very excited now!!!
  • Options
    Gossy - Do I buy both the garlic and echinacea in liquid form? And add them both to the same cup of water? Definately going to get some at lunch as this cough is driving me mad. Aside from that I'm feeling much better.

Glad all is going well your end, sounds like all is going ot plan and I wish you lots of luck.

Haha we will look out for you in your graffiti t-shirt haha!
  • Options
    Oh no - sorry - my hasty typing! The garlic is capsule form (got mine from Boots - go for no odour NOT odour controlled - they aren't!!!) and the echinacea in liquid form ( got mine from health food shop) I grlic capsule a day and 2-3 per day of echinacea x15 drops. Just keep taking it to the big day and then stop as you should only take it for 2 weeks at a time.
    good luck!!!
  • Options
    Also, do take lots of vit c - more than your RDA - as this will help ward off anything else that you may be suceptible to. I'm not a Doc but just going from experience on what helped me!
  • Options
    Lovely thanks Gossy, shall hit the shops at lunch time :)

I have been good actually and been taking lots of vit c so will carry on doing that :0 I WILL BE WELL HURRAH!
  • Options
    8 days and 22 hours!!!!
  • Options
    someones been logging onto the marathon web-site !
  • Options
    Hi All how's it going ?
  • Options
    Hey Sarah, how are you? And more to the point are you on for Sunday? Hope that is a definate yes!

I am feeling nervous/excited/daunted/terrified, everything I think - cant' believe how close it is and am going to try and psyche myself up every day til the day, need to e mentally prepared. Feeling okay although my longer taper runs haven't really happened - only did 4.5 on the weekned instead of 8 and missed the week before completely but not much I can do now. Fingers crossed all will come togehter on the day.

How si everyone else?
  • Options
    Aghhh I'm so nervous!
    At least the weather looks like it should be ok! Although I guess there is still 6 days for a heatwave to move in :-s
    http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/dayforecast.asp?zipcode=London&day=6
  • Options
    Laura you will be fine. I ony did 5 myself and it is ok as you have nothing more to be gained now.
    Enjoy the break and you will be well prepared for Sunday
  • Options
    feeling at bit peeved that no-one has noticed my shiny new red laces while i'm out training but apart from that great ! going through exactley the same emotions as you laura so you are not alone . after all these months , i just cant believe that it is now oh so close . every waking hour is now spent thinking about sunday . whats it going to be like at the start , is the atmosphere going to be better than the gnr , the weather , the weather , the weather !
  • Options
    I didnt think there was any atmosphere at GNR so most definitely yes SBS the atmoshpere is better
  • Options
    ...i'd read on this site that i may have trouble sleeping next Fri/Sat...it's started already !?! too nervous and excited ! Anyone else having problems ?
  • Options
    Rio that's what I thought, listen to your body and all that, I felt quite tired Sunday and my calves were burning I just thought that it was good i got out and did something. I've done all the hard work now lets just hope it comes together on the day. This isn't your first marathon is it - how are you feeling?

CMR i'm keeping my fingers crossed too weather wise, it looks to be cooling down so fingers crossed it stays that way for us!
  • Options
    I wish you all the best of luck - do your best and be proud!

I'm just trying to focus on how i'm going to feel afterwards - the elation! But then I get choked haha!

Runtyler, I really hvae to concentrate on switching my brain off when i go to bed, get the lavendar oil on the pillow!
  • Options
    does it work ? i've been buying something different everytime i've logged on to pick up a little advice - thanks x good luck !!
  • Options
    Afternoon all-

It's definitely the big count-down now! I don't know about anyone else but I've found the taper almost as hard as reaching peak mileage back in March (doesn't that seem a long time ago now?) Constantly feeling guilty that I should be doing more! Only 3 miles tonight, 2 on Weds and that's it!
    I'm also getting info overload, I keep reading all the articles on what to do, eat, drink, think, bewteen now and Sunday. I know what do but I can't stop myself!
    Anyway, all the best everyone. make sure we log on to this thread afterwards to re-tell our adventures!

Tricky
  • Options
    yes laura I'm up for it!!

I am worried as i have not done very much over the last 4 weeks but my legs are feeling good and there haven't been any niggles. Don't think i will be putting in a very impresive time but as it's my first (probably my last) it will be my PB!!

Well it's pasta pasta pasta and rest for the next 6 days!