First Timer

Comments

• Ooo Sarah I am red start pen 9 too so I will be looking out for you :)
  • How are you feeling ?
    I'm like a cat on a hot tin roof!

Are you running alone ?
  • I am very excited, but also nervous, and i know i'm going to be overwhelmed on the day. I know what I need to do I just need to stay calm on the day and put it all into practice and just grit my teeth and get it done.

Yes am running alone, are you? My friend is gonna be in one of the pens ahead, am hoping to have a small run with him at some point as he is injured so likely to be walking a large part of it, probably in fancy dress so hopefully i'll see him.
  • If he is injured he should go back a pen or two to be with you. He wont be popular with runners if he starts walking when everyone is still clumped together in the early miles!
  • That's what i thought Rio, will try and coax him back
  • Good luck everyone. I'm so envious and wish the knee hadn't let me down. Hey ho!

Good luck to you all.

Tammi
    x
  • Thanks Tammi. I don't know about everyone else but when I'm struggling I'm going to try and think of people/a person who I can run the next mile for to keep me going - i.e. the kids at the charity i'm raising for, my mum who suffers from ME, things like that. So I'll certainly be running a mile for you and for others that have had to pull out due to injury.
  • Am running with Andrw who is not too optomistic, but has plenty of medication !

Also a friend running for Phab aswell and two other friends running for cancer research. Loom out for us 3 Phab vests together (they're rather bright )
    More the merrier!!
  • Well that is great news he is at least making it to the start line. Once there I hope things work out for him, determination will win him through.

I shall definately look out for you guys and hopefully I will spot you :)

Best of luck everyone, i'll be signing off shortly til after the race.
  • Good Luck everyone !

Speak to you all Monday!!!!

Sarah XXXXXX
  • wow - i'm first on! How did it go everyone? I'm still on a high despite really not being able to walk..no really...! Was aiming for sub 4.30 but soon re-adjusted my plans after feeling the heat in the first few miles and knowing it was gonna get hotter. Totally amazing experience though - highlights seing my OH for the first time at 6 miles and my sister and niece at 12 (i created a bit of a bottle neck as I ran back to give them a sweaty cuddle - sorry!!!). Low points running around the isle of dogs - was it me or was it very narrow? Don't really remember much after that except my knee giving way at 19 - big loud twang (or at least it felt like it) so fast walked and jogged the rest. The crowd were awesome and coming down birdcage walk which I was determined to run, I felt like the greatest person in the world! Crossed the line in 4.52 - a big thankyou to the lovely race marshal who allowed me to collapse sobbing into his arms at the end!!!! Hope everyone made it and is ok toady!
  • well how is everybody ? have got to say that it was probably the best day of my life even though there was a lot of pain . i thought that the crowd support was out of this world , especially at tower bridge . it really was such an emotional journey . from getting myself pumped up after finally crossing the START line to breaking down in tears at 24 miles because i was finding it so hard . i have never waved at so many strangers after hearing them calling out sweetie that i have now got rsi in my thumb from sticking it up so much ! i am so very proud of myself for having done it ( and without stopping ) that i dont know if i will come down from this high for quite a while ! managed to cross the line in 4 hrs 25 mins . i really do hope that everybody enjoyed it and that you all got something from it . be proud .
  • What a day!
    I'm so pleased I took today off work though! I ache in places that I didnt even know had muscles!
    I hope everyone got round safely - it was just so hot!
    I was hoping for a sub 4 hour time...lets blame the weather.. I did it in 4 hours 8 minutes.. so I think I am pleased. Its given me confidence for the next one!
    Anyone else going to do anymore????

Gossy - isle of dogs did seem very narrow - the crowd seemed to be in the middle of the road on one side so we only had one lane to run in instead of 2.

• Wow !

Got my t shirt got my medal and can't believe I did it !

What an experience I had aimed for a sub 4.30 but it soon became apparant that was not possible. My husband had knee trouble from the start (he hadn't trained for 7 weeks previous) but he soldiered on. He kept telling me to go but I didn't want to at about 19 miles I was sobbing as he is usualy the stronger rummer.
    At 20 he said to go and as sson as he said he wouldn't give up I went the last 6 on my own carried along by the most wonderful crowd. i felt like a celebrity.

Dragged myself over the line 4.59.27 relieved to have finished.

Well done everyone who is up for another one?
  • already started training for next year !
  • thought I might leave the training until i can get up and down the stairs!
  • took me 5 minutes to get up the stairs to read these posts.... owwwwwwww
  • Laura & Tricky How are you both ??
  • Hello everyone,

A big congratulations to you all, Your stories sound great and you should be proud of yourselves.

Sarah thanks for your e-mail, I was off yesterday and didnt' have access to the internet so that's why my post is late :)

Well I did it! I'm so happy. I crossed in 5.42. I would have liked sub-5 but when I clocked my time in the first 3 miles I could see my pace was slow from the heat so I just focused on getting round rater than time. I really enjoyed it, so much more going on than in the training runs. It was hard though, I saw my friend on Tower Bridge which was a godsend and then didnt' see anybody again until nearly mile 23! But the last three miles were the best, I saw 5 groups of my supporters all at various points up to 24.5/25 miles and that really got me through the last part. Loved high fiving the kids, loved crossing the line. Great day and so emotional.
  • Oh Laura I'm so pleased you had a great time. I was worried when I didn't hear from you yesterday.

I still can't believe its over. Although my thighs are relieved.

Well done X
  • oh well done laura and sarah..i was getting a bit worried too but guessed a lot of people would have taken the day off work (I work from home so no excuse!)

Wasn't it amazing? Its finally sinking in today...the last 48 hours have been rather an emotional blur...

So girls: same time next year?!
  • I was up for it yesterday don't know today!!
  • Well done all of you in difficult conditions. At least you all live to do it again.

Tricky I think you ran past me at about mile 20. I tried to catch you but I was suffering with stomach problems so couldnt manage it.

Wear your medals with pride. You deserve them
  • Hi Rio,
    Thanks for all your words of advice over the last few weeks. It was everything you said it would be.
    Hope your stomach problems didn't hinder you too much.

• Didnt get what I wanted by any means but am ok with it. It is different every time. Still learning!!
  • Hi guys!

Hope you all didn't wilt too much, everyone I know missed their target times. I came home in 3 hours 39 and was well happy, had a quick cry at the finish too! Loved the atmosphere, the first 10 miles were a blast, with all the music and pub crowds!

Roll on 2008!

Tom x
  • Tom well done that is a fantastic time!

Everybody else a big well done to you too you did amazingly well you should be proud of yourselves. I know I don't know you guys personally but talking to you on here I am proud of you!!!

Initially on the day while I was running, and after I thought "no i'm content i've done it once and i've done my best I'm hapy" but now I'm thinking about doing them again, getting a time that I think is more reflecting of my training times, just doing it for the experience, it was a great experience, you can't really explain it can you.

but well done all of you, you did amazing!
  • Tom that is amazing you will be running with the elite next year! i too loved the first few miles the atmosphere was amazing.

I'm with you Laura I feel the same i felt the time slipping away from me whereas on a training run I have been in control.

I always thought I would tick the box and not go there again but I'm hooked i have to do it again.