First Timer

1151617181921»

Comments

• Hi all,

I was looking on the internet hoping that there would be a FL08 thread somewhere! I got in this year 4th time lucky - well this was the only year I just entered because it was habbit rather than actually planning on doing it! I am a complete beginner so if anyone can give me any help I would be really happy. Im quite scared as I havent ran that much before. So far I can just about cope with a slow 3 1/2 miles!!!!

I think Im quite out of my depth here!image

• Hi Beeker,

I've done one and still feel out of my depth.

Talk to other people who have done one and look at different training plans to see which one suits your lifestyle as at the end of the day as you need to fit the runs in.  it is very time consuming but it is worth it. Promise image

• beeker , you shouldnt feel out of your depth as no one was ever born a runner . you have done one of the hardest things by getting in so now the rest should be easy !!!

knowing this far in advance gives you time to sit down and work out a suitable training plan that suits your need .

if you need motivation just look back on the reasons you kept applying or go back to the start of this forum because it was a lifesaver at times for this years race . you are about to embark on a massive journey (and i'm not just about 26.2 miles in april) that you will remember for the rest of your life . even if you finish last in the race , you will have thousands of people behind you .

• Thanks guys - I need that.... I think the motivation on the cold cold days is where im going to struggle - so far Iv been ok but I have only been doing a little for a few weeks! My plan is to run 3 miles every day or two if I can and then after xmas start to build up the miles - my boyfriend does ironman so he should be able to get me there pysically its mentally im worried about!!!
  • Hi everyone,

Well, have unexpectedly got a charity place - so all systems go! Gulp!!

Am wondering about accommodation in London - any tips or advice? Have seen the Holiday Inn packages and WRP packages - anyone have any experience of these? They do seem a bit pricey but seem to be dead straight-forward and as my first (and prob only!) FLM do you think it's worht splurging on?

Thanks in anticipation, and good luck to all first timers out there!

Jo.

• Hi Jo,

Im also looking for somewhere to stay etc... If you hear of any where good can you please let me know - I think Id rather stay by the start rather than the finish area - could possibly stay in the palace....... Queeny might have a few spare rooms!

Il let you know if I find somewhere too

Thanks

• it's worth ringing round a few local running clubs to see if they are running (parden the pun !) any packages . last year i hitched up with a running club from derby even though i live in coventry . for just over £100 i had my transport to the expo , onto the hotel , to the start line in the morning , shower back at the hotel and return back home . also included was my b+b at said hotel .

• Hi Sky Blus Sam, another City Fan here. Did you know Sky Blue Sam ran for Spinal Injuries Association last year. I am Team Events Manager and know him well.

We use a company called WRP Tours they offer a great service.

Talking about the palace, our post race reception is at Wellington barracks so you wouldn't have far to go to your room Jo!

• Beeker

This is also my 4th time of applying and like you was not really expecting to get in this time!

I have done a few half marathons but have absolutely no idea how to get myself ready for a full marathon!  Up the mileage etc I presume. 

Quick question for anyone out there.  What do you all recommend to eat and drink during the race.  I don't need anything special during a half marathon but suspect this will be different.  I've not done a marathon yet so any tips on anything would be great!  Hoping to do around the 4 hour mark.

Thanks for any help you can give anyone!

• Hi Michael,

I did my first one last year and had porridge in the morning, a banana just before and had lucozade during. I felt ok but this time i am going to try the gels but need to train with them rather than use them just on race day !

Good luck

• At the min a half marathon feels so far! I am hoping to do one in feb- anyone any ideas of good prep races etc... in the south west if poss!

thanks

• beeker , try the reading half . this is a superbly well organised race which offers excellent prep for london . i ran it a couple of years ago and managed a pb so the course is quite forgiving . you finish inside the madjeski stadium which made me feel like an olympic athlete for the 1 and only time !!! i think it is run around the march time but it does fill up quick so be warned .
  • to the 'originals from last year' sarah and gossy ! best of british for sunday in what will be our 2nd (maybe last !) london marathon .

hope the training is going well but for me it has been a lot harder than last year as i just have'nt had the same motivation to get out the door as i had last year . i found this to be the case when i ran new york in november so it must be something to be with being a marathon virgin . injuries have'nt helped either .

sincerely hope it has gone better for you 2 and that we all have a good a day as last year .

i'm running number 4999 so see you both on sunday morning at the blue start !!!

GOOD LUCK !

• Hi all pooped out last year and deffered to this yaer any of you going for it ?

sarah XX

• alas not for me sarah !

i will be travelling down from coventry to cheer everybody on BUT IT WILL NEVER , EVER BE THE SAME !

i truely think that my my marathon day's are well behind me .

i ran the chicago marathon last october in the 91 degree heat and it was a horrendous experience ! i vowed to myself never again , but part of me think's that i should'nt end on a sour note .

you never know , london 2010 might be my swansong !

best of british to everybody for the 26th , a remarkable event completed by remarkable people .