Enduroman UK 2013

Comments

• Well I'm happy to nail my colours to the mast

Next year I'm going double long, yes I'm slow, yes I'll be near or at the back, but I don't care, its all about a personal challenge.

I will be entering as soon as IM Wales has had its bottom smacked by me.

I look forward to competeing along side people who have to go back to prove something and the people who have decided to do it, but haven't come out and said that yet, oh yes and DK as well.

• Oh great stuff Q, if you are doing it I'm definitely doing it. Feck me if we can't have a laugh doing this there's no hope for anyone. Just told my missus and she didn't hit me so its a goer. Bring it on.image
  • I'll be there image

I am going to be a double iRONMAN in 2013!

• M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

Yay.

Go purple.

*commences early pom pom shaking*

• Nice one purple, how much did the double cost and what wad the length of the bike and run
  • Yay Q! Glad to hear you're doing it image

Purple, you will definitely smash it this time.

This is going to be awesome, looking forward to supporting image
  • i think it was about £230 this year and the bike is a little long at 232 miles.............but the run course is now accurate so 52.4 ish miles...........

they will have 2 or 3 swim waves next year as its the world championship race i believe so will have loads doing the double...........but at least the fast swimmers will be going off after the slower ones have started........image

• Seren - do you know how many they are going to have doing it? 

• M..o.use wrote (see)

Yay.

Go purple.

*commences early pom pom shaking*

imageimage

• not sure but I'm sure i read 2 or 3 waves depending on numbers...........so i would think they are hoping for a 100 or so

• Hopefully that means a six o'clock start for us slowbies

• DK my bike computer had 117.5 miles on it. OK it will only be so accurate but all official measurements have it at 116 miles. 

Go Purple!!!! ( and less of the coke early on next year! )

• ah not that much over standard distance then, not saying i was worried at all image

• i did read PTLs and serens race reports again last night and it hasnt put me off, well apart from serens 20 hour bike split!!!   but ...

do you really need a support crew because my missus wont be having any of it but i may be able to persuade my brother.

and how far can you erect your tent from the course, i read that seren had a couple of 30 minute naps - is this easily possible/do many people do it?. 

are the bike laps 10 miles or there abouts - if so where do you keep your spares? in your tent? 

and yep theres bound to be a hundred more silly, pointless or unnecessary  questions im going to ask

• I wouldn't recommend doing it self supported but one guy did, you can read his race report here:

http://www.tritalk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=79278&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=7305

There was only one of  38 that was self supported so I guess that tells you a lot.

I can't comment on the tent situation as I stayed in a hotel. If I had needed sleep I would have gone to the car. Nearly everyone I spoke too took a nap, although I'm guessing those at the front of the field didn't.

The support crew looked after all my stuff. You can store some stuff at the turning circle. The rest can be kept in the car and/or tent. You can also rack a spare bike.

pointless, silly and unnecessary questions welcome image

• i napped on the settee in the house.........but the tents were erected about 100m from the turning circle........you can be self supported but its going to take you time and organisation........

laps were 11.6 miles....spare tyres etc in your bike box.spares of everything else in your car/tent........

i had coke straight after the swim....i always do afetr open water swimming...........i think its an old wives tale that it fends of all nasties.but it has worked for me all year........

most people had a short nap....25 mins is enough............apart from those at the front end...........the bike course is one where you really need your wits about you and falling asleep on the bike isn't good idea

• Double IM confirmed as 1st and 2nd June according to Twitter

*this is a public service announcement and not a statement of intent

• DK

As we are all pirates, I am currently recruiting support teams, there will be other pirates competing, we should be able share some of the support teams (stop them getting bored anyway)

I currently have 1 scottish lass, doing a massage course recruited but if there are 5/6 pirates I'm sure we can get a crack support team assembled.

• Also to add re support teams - I do not think a support team of 1 is enough, I think it should be 2 minimum and 3 preferred. This will give the support teams enough time to have a rest at times as they need their wits about them as supporters just as much as you do competing.

I would also say that they need to be people you know and I don't mean on a superficial level. They need to know your race face; need to know how to handle you, to say the right thing, to know what's right for you. It's no good having a Sherpa who will argue with you or will get upset if you bite their head off because you're tired. Similarly you need to respect them and what they can see from the outside. Whilst you may feel strong enough to do another lap, for example, they may see tiredness in you and suggest a rest break. You have to be prepared to consider their opinion and go with it if necessary

To a certain extent they have to deal with everything so that you can just concentrate on the swim, bike, and run

Disclaimer - have never done an IM, let alone a Double, nor even fully supported someone taking part. These are my musings from having been there for the last two years and seen what some of the supporters have gone through. image
  • The Silent Assassin wrote (see)

DK

As we are all pirates, I am currently recruiting support teams, there will be other pirates competing, we should be able share some of the support teams (stop them getting bored anyway)

I currently have 1 scottish lass, doing a massage course recruited but if there are 5/6 pirates I'm sure we can get a crack support team assembled.

image Yeah I think if there is a good group of supporters, they could be 'shared around' so to speak, so we can support a couple of folk at once. Also means one supporter can get a quick break while the others are 'on duty'.  I think Schumnks talks a lot of sense too; that's how i envisaged the relationship would work.

• I would seriously caution against having a group of supporters looking after a couple of people. There is always an element of too many chiefs, not enough indians. It may work better to allocate specific people to specific competitors; for want of a better phrase - create teams

If you do it early enough in the process working relationships can be formed and this can only lead to a better understanding of each other. Nutrition strategies, rest breaks etc. can all be planned in advance and lead to a more confident approach so that both parties know what they are doing and when.

I would worry that by having a group of people supporting there is no 'one person' for the competitor to turn to. This could lead to three or four people scurrying around trying to sort out what the competitor wants. This will not be what the competitor wants or needs. He (or she) will want to come in to bike turn round, get sorted, and be out again.
  • Good points Schmunks....

• M...eldy wrote (see)

Double IM confirmed as 1st and 2nd June according to Twitter

*this is a public service announcement and not a statement of intentM...eldy wrote (see)

That would be impressive two weeks after Lanza!

• This was written by someone who did the Double in 2011 but it provides a good overview

http://i-must-try-harder.blogspot.co.uk/2011/07/unofficial-guide-to-enduroman-uk.html

• schmunkee talks sense........i had one main crew member and then schumkee took over when he had a 4 hour sleep break........and barley went to get the chips.......they could all help but my son was in charge and had responsibility.....................

i think it was great that there were other pirate supporters there as it meant he always had company........which on the bike leg in the night is useful to keep awake.......with the rider being away for 50 mins at a time.........and he could ask for help if needed..........

it was also great as a competitor to see all the pirates cheering you on.............it does make a hell of a difference......................but my son knew when to cheer me jup and when to praise me into keep going.............and when to tell me to stop crying and get on with it............unless you know someone well then this is hard........

but if you are fast and pretty self sufficvient then just having a backupm of others might be enough.....it does make it harder

• I think Schmunks is talking sense and Seren can back it up by being there and doing it. The support of just shouting encouragement was great even though I knew no other pirates until the night before. I got shouts not even wearing pirate gearimage

Schmunkee - The List Fairy wrote (see)
    I would also say that they need to be people you know and I don't mean on a superficial level. They need to know your race face; need to know how to handle you, to say the right thing, to know what's right for you. It's no good having a Sherpa who will argue with you or will get upset if you bite their head off because you're tired. Similarly you need to respect them and what they can see from the outside. Whilst you may feel strong enough to do another lap, for example, they may see tiredness in you and suggest a rest break. You have to be prepared to consider their opinion and go with it if necessary 

To a certain extent they have to deal with everything so that you can just concentrate on the swim, bike, and run

I'd go with this big time. I was feeling tired at the 80 mile mark on the bike ( end lap 7 out of ten ). I had told my brother who was supporting me to have a little bit of every food ready for me just in case. He didn't really get this concept but did it anyway.  My pre race manual that I had given him had all the foods on, how to make up sports drinks bottles, correct measurements etc etc. The problem arose when I said I wanted some malt loaf. Instructions made it clear that this meant 2 pieces at a time and buttered whether I was to eat it there and then or take it in my bento bag for eating on the road. I wanted it there and then. 2 pieces in my hand joined together and buttered. Fantastic, there as I wanted. Open the 2 pieces out for ease and convenience and not fill the mouth in one go and Malt Loaf Gate started. I kicked off on him as only 1 of the pieces of malt loaf was buttered, the other dry. On video camera filmed by Mrs Chilli I can be seen looking at said piece of malt loaf and distastefully saying " What is that?? Thats no good to me!!! " whilst then throwing it to the floor with bambino Chilli no.2 saying " I'll eat it dad". Malt loaf  gate has been mentioned several times since probably never to be forgotten. We also had Brew Gate on lap 20 of the run when I completed the lap and after having a cuppa on lap 8, 12 and 16, in my mind the simple task of adding 4 and making 20 escaped him and erm well we had kick off again and a brew was waiting at lap 21!!

He said he'll help again so I can't have upset him too much but Mrs Chilli thinks I was bang out of order. Don't think I'll ask her to be my bag man everimage

• tnx for the links Purple - made good reading and I definately want some support there after reading. I'll tap my brother at the right moment and try to get him down to support and join as an honory pirate for the day.

what lights did you lot use on the bike out of interest, in one of the reports it said something like about 900 lumens which is fecking bright, i got a 277 lumen head light and that lights up 170metres - surely that would be enough - it makes normal petzl head torches look rather feeble.

• I went with 2 front and 2 back............one of each were flashing to help me be seen.......my main front was very powerful but cheap off deal extreme...........and i had spare battery for changing after 4 hours............you need something really strong as its not just to light up the road ahead so you see the horses on the road early...........its so you can see all the damm pothots clearly on the drive and so taht you can see all the crap on the roads...........as you get tirieder you do not want to be straining to see your path............

• seren nos wrote (see)

schmunkee talks sense........i had one main crew member and then schumkee took over when he had a 4 hour sleep break........and barley went to get the chips.......they could all help but my son was in charge and had responsibility.....................

Yeah that is more what I was thinking, rather than just a few folk milling about all helping.  To be able to be a good supporter, you'll need a bit of rest, whether even just for 30 mins at a time or something, but then someone will have to cover you while you rest, so need more than just one, and if there are a couple of people to provide short bouts of cover (with them knowing the drill etc. of what is expected) that would be good.  if that makes sense! Obviously as a supporter i'll work however the competitor wants, which will be determined in due course image