Couch to 5k, here I go!

A short while ago I decided that I was going to start running. About to embark on my first ever run and standing with trainers on my feet, sports bra on under my t-shirt, runkeeper downloaded onto my phone and with my schedule in hand I'm beginning to think that maybe this wasn't such a good idea after all! At least the british weather has been kind and its not actually raining. I'll let you all know how it goes when I get back..... wish me luck!

Comments

• Good luck Jo and have fun image

Andy image

• I survived my very first 'run' (albeit I am now very sweaty) - go me! It was much harder than I thought it was going to be. Looks easy in black and white on a piece of paper. I did enjoy it, it was good to be out in the fresh air. I didn't have much chance to appreciate though it as I was too busy concentrating on not collapsing! The runkeeper app was fantastic, really useful, I'd reccommend it to anyone. Its hard to imagine that in just six weeks I'll actually be able to run for 30 minutes without stopping.... I guess time will tell.....

• ShedboyShedboy ✭✭✭
    You will learn to love the rain too in time. Enjoy and remember it gets easier to breath and run at the same time.....believe it every run will be different. Keep us upto date
  • Good luck, Jo!  Take it easy at first - but above all, have fun!  It's actually quite nice to go out in the rain, as long as it's not slinging it down - that's no fun at all!!

• Ok, so I'm about to head out for my second run. According to the schedule this was supposed to be yesterday but having been awake for over 24 hours, after working a gruelling night shift then only getting 4 hours sleep a run was the last thing on my mind! Im assuming as long as I complete the three runs a week and have rest days it doesn't matter which days I do them. I'm not so keen on the idea of running for two minutes at a time - just one was hard enough on tuesday! Oh well, I can but try....

• yes it is good to have a schedule, but if you miss one here and there, don't panic. ease into it, do walk run walk etc and have some fluidity on the schedule

• Run number 2 complete image I'm visiting my parents in Cornwall at the moment so I went for a run in the countryside. I soon discovered that I'm much more adept at running downhill than up! It epitomised the very reason I decided to start running. The sun was shining and the route I took was one where I used to spend time as a child. I passed fields, the woods and a river. Stunning. Hopefully next time I'm here I will be able to make the run comfortably without panting like a dog!!

• Well done Jo

Keep it up

Andy image

• Week 1 is complete image I enjoyed run number 3 in the sunshine - gorgeous weather. It has left me wondering that at what stage will a couple of minutes running not leave me struggling for breath? I also acquired my first running related injury - my left ankle acquired a blister, which my trainer rubbed on and caused to bleed all in my sock and trainer - eww! I'd also like some recommendations for some scenic runs in bristol? 5 weeks of training to go (apparently!)...

• Well done Jo - 1 down 5 to go!

• I am on week two and seem to be getting worse.  My shins are really hurting and always out of breath.  I want to give up but don't at the same time.   Any tips please help.

• Hi Jo,

I started my running in Bristol last year.  From April to September I was on a contract there.  It is a lovely city to run in.  I was based out at Southmead Hospital and used to run from there through to the Downs, ran round them then back.  In all about eight miles.  As I got more proficient I extended to Clifton  Bridge or went down to the river, down that steep road.  Running along the river was pleasant.  From there I would climb up to the Downs again, do another loop and back to Southmead.

Oh , and remember to ignore what the NHS site 5k says about running technique, that bit was written by orthopaedic surgeons wanting to drum up business!

• @leanne, that doesn't sound good?! Thought it was supposed to get easier image

@Surrey Runner I was working at Southmead hospital then, small world. There is no chance I am anywhere near running 8 miles! I will bear it in mind if I ever get fit enough to do so though image What does the nhs site say about running technique? I haven't read it - I'm following the 6 week schedule on here but don't see how I will comfortably be able to run 5k in 5 weeks time image

• Hi Jo!

There's no shame in repeating a week if you feel you have to - don't worry, you'll get there eventually and when you do, by God it'll feel good! image

Have fun. image

leanne saunders 3 wrote (see)

I am on week two and seem to be getting worse.  My shins are really hurting and always out of breath.  I want to give up but don't at the same time.   Any tips please help.

Have you had your gait tested to see the type of shoes you need? 

As for being out of breath - remember, this isn't about speed at all so go as slow as you need to.  It will get better - I remember when I used to look at the plan and think 'five minutes??  I'm never going to be able to run five minutes continously!'  Now - admittedly before my recent knee annoyance - I've done nine miles - that was around one and a half hours continously. image

• So, week 2 commenced today. I got up bright and early and was out running by half 8. Never thought I'd see the day! Decided it was a good way of starting the day and avoiding the heat considering how burnt I got yesterday - ouch! I discovered there was a lot more to the park I use than I thought. I'm looking forward to exploring further, which gives me added incentive to continue running. I slowed my pace down a bit today, to account for the increase in running time. I figure I can work on speed at a later date. It was a much more comfortable run and really enjoyed it. Maybe this 6 week plan does work.....

• Hi Jo,

The NHS recommends heel striking and wearing cotton.  So you will end up overheating and get dodgy knees...

• Ha, thats ridiculous! How does the nhs get away with saying that?!

• Surrey Runner wrote (see)

Hi Jo,

The NHS recommends heel striking and wearing cotton.  So you will end up overheating and get dodgy knees...

Seriously?

• I was up and running by half 8 again this morning in order to avoid the heat. I am feeling unmotivated today. I didn't run as well as the other day. I was slower and it felt harder. I don't know why, nothing was different. I guess I just have to chalk this one up to experience....

• Good luck Jo! I did that plan and used to think I was going to pass out running two minutes continuously, but it definitely gets easier, so stick at it image

• Went on my first run in the rain this morning. I surprised myself by actually enjoying it. I also underestimated how many people would be out and about in the park considering the weather- I was expecting a nice solitary run but I was mistaken! The run went much better than the previous one, which was unexpected due to the increase in running time but it was quite comfortable. My pace is still pretty slow but I figure its best to focus on increasing fitness and length of time I can run for first and before concentrating on speed - do we think this is a good strategy? Week 2 is completed and I am pleased with my progress so far image

• Well done Jo

Completed Wk2 Day1 this morning, was pleased with myself especially as I felt like I was going to die during Wk1.

I am also very slow, but that could be down to being 50 and fat image. In fact I'm that slow I think I was passed by a couple of Tortoises and a snail  this morning image

Andy image

• Road runner/Jo

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/C25K-tips-for-new-runners.aspx

Unfortuneately yes, their advisor is an administrator at a YMCA.