Ankle injury....and half marathon in 2 weeks!

On Tuesday night I did a club training session largely consisting of technique drills and towards the end started to feel a twinge in my ankle. It then felt a bit stiff on Wednesday but fine once going so did 8k but after returning from that it was quite painful to put weight on initially. Same yesterday but no inflammation (still put ice pack on in case!) and eases once I am actually walking so ditched the planned hills session for a 2km swim instead. This morning it is still sore when I first start to walk but again no inflammation and eases as I keep walking. Any ideas what it may be?

I have a half marathon in two weeks and planned to do my last long run (23km) this Sunday but now I am worried I am missing vital training time. I missed two halfs last year through injury and will be gutted if I miss another one or do a crap time image 

Comments

• touie2touie2 ✭✭✭
    I seem to have a similar thing image

I *touch wood* am running ok as long as I avoid speedwork and take it easy downhill!!!

Google Achilles tendinopathy see if that sounds like what you have! I have a bit more than the Achilles grumbling at me!!!
  • I did my first half not fully recovered from an injury, and the result was not running for 8 weeks afterwards. I disregarded the medical advice that I shouldn't be doing it, and the doctor was certain I'll get injured (I did!).

So if you're adamant, RICE and perhaps some anti-inflammatories, but most of all...prepare to take a while off after your race.

• Well I do have another half marathon six weeks after the first that is probably more important to me. I am going to rest it completely tonight (no swimming just cycling home and to shops) and see about an ankle support. Tomorrow if it seems a lot better I'll head to the forest and try a short run and go from there. Abandoned idea of 23km on Sunday no matter how it feels as could always do a hills session which would be more intense but less pounding. 

• dont worry the rest will do you good...! rest up and them if ok just go for it..you wont loose any fitness nor gain much buy cramming in the training..good luck

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

If there is any chance it is an achilles injury, do NOT do a hill session - that will put stress on the achilles.

• Joolska and touie2 - I don't think it is my Achilles as pain not at back of ankle but very much the side. However, I will be careful with hills just in case. 

I got an ankle support tonight and it seemed to help quite a bit. Thinking about buying a balance board to try and strengthen my ankles. They are hypermobile so I am probably more than likely to have problems with them compared to the average runner.

• If you've done the training up to this point, then a week off at this stage isn't really going to hurt your fitness.  If the pain is at the side rather than in the Achilles it sounds like you might have just rolled the ankle a little or somehow damaged the soft tissue.

I would try RICE for 4 or 5 days and if it recovers, you still have 8 or 9 days to fit in a couple of easy runs and speedwork sessions to get back that feeling of being sharp.  I was once in a very similar situation before an HM and it worked out fine (I hit my PB target time).  I know it's incredibly frustrating and annoying when something goes wrong this close to a race, but you still have a good chance of getting through this fine.    

• Thanks for your opinion Genghis! I tried to run yesterday and it was painful straight away so next day or two going to forget about it, cross train and do strengthening exercises then see where I am. If I am running again next week I will do the half but more as a long run as it was always the trial run before my target half in September.

• So if you're adamant, RICE and perhaps some anti-inflammatories, but most of all...prepare to take a while off after your race.

http://www.keyforex.info/g.gif

• It sounds like a peroneal (tendons on the outside of your ankle) or an ATFL or CFL ligament (ligmanets on the outside of your ankle) irritation. I would see a Podiatrist who could strap the ankle for you.

I wouldnt recoment strapping it your self as if it is injuried, and you run on it in the incorect way, it can become a much bigger problem.

you need to find a good Podiatristimage

• Ankle still not good after seeing physio, not running at all for two weeks then starting to run again image  I missed the August half and pretty sure I won't manage the one next week. I have had so little injury free time this last 18 months I am thinking I might just give up running and swim, go to gym, cycle and walk instead. Means I will cut my food expenditure anyway!