Box Hill for the Men's Olympic Cycling

Comments

• KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭

I am really a bit stuck on where to watch from but I have done some research. I am putting it here for the benefit of others who may be new to riding that area.

mens time trial on 1st Aug

http://www.london2012.com/mm/Document/Documents/General/01/25/71/48/MensCyclingTimeTrialGTW_Neutral.pdf

This map includes both mens and women route - women start at 12:30pm and men start at 2:15pm

http://www.london2012.com/documents/venue-documents/cycling-time-trial-route.pdf

mens road race on 28th Jul

http://www.london2012.com/documents/venue-documents/cycling-road-race-route.pdf

womens road race on 29th Jul - can't find map yet.

Have not decided where to watch time trials from yet.

For the Road Ride though - Here is a zoom of the box hill area showing where you need tickets and where you don't.

http://www.london2012.com/mm/Document/Documents/General/01/25/71/55/VENUEBXHCycleRoadRaceNeutral.pdf

I plan to go EARLY. I am fasting so i will need to go slow otherwise I would have just ridden there from home. As it is I will plan to ditch my car at the top of Reigate Hill (hence the need to go early) where there is a small car park where the A217 gets very near to the M25. On the strava map below it is bang on where the number 4 is. I will then cycle across the bridleways to Box Hill - this is the route i took on my last ride as seen here:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/199545233

http://app.strava.com/rides/13470998

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

I've got tickets for Doremouse Drive.  Does anyone know whether there will be big screen coverage of the finish there?

• PP, there's a big screen up on Donkey Green, but there's nothing in the lower enclosure.  Which is where I'll be, although if I get a shift on after the peloton comes past for the last time I could get home before they reach the finish.  You'd be welcome to join us.

• KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭

Gladys you have a very happy PM back! THANKS!

If anyone else can get me a ticket for Doormouse Drive you will be helping to save a very old friendship. I told my mountain biking buddy I would cycle up to a free spot to watch the race but now i have a ticket for Doormouse Drive. I would love to be able to get one for him too. image

• KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭

Dave once the riders are through won't they just open it all up so everyone can go up to Donkey Green? I would have thought everyone would be through before the leaders make it back to the finish line.

• Tortuga, the womens road race is the same as the men's although they aren't going around Box Hill as many times!

• KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭

Prince ahhhh cool thx. I didn't even realise the men were doing multiple circuits of box hill. So from Doormouse Drive i will see them go past multiple times? Fantastic!

• The men go past nine times and the women two (I think)!  ETA at Box Hill on the Saturday is about 11.40am and leaving the Box Hill Circuit about 2.50pm for the men!  2pm and 2.50pm for the women!

• KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭

Great info! Properly excited now. This is the only olympic ticket i have managed to own lol. Really hope someone else can come through with a doormouse drive ticket. The reality of my mates reaction is starting to sink in image

• Tortuga, I wouldn't bet on it.  The road closures stay in place until 10pm regardless of when the last rider passes, and I can't see LOCOG opening up a ticketed area to all and sundry - this is the very area Seb Coe promised we could all watch from for free when he announced the course.

It'll be on the radio and the chances of not knowing what's happening, either directly or indirectly, are slim I would think.

There's a sign gone up on the Epsom Road, about a mile from the closest point on the loop, offering car parking for £20 although due to the ban on using certain words it's parking for something unspecified and unknown that may or may not be happening at the weekend and totally unassociated with any sporting event at all.

• He's jealous!  I'll be up at Headley Heath with partner and her girls.  Lunch booked at the 'Cock Inn' afterwards on Sunday!  image

• The 'Cock' are charging £20 for a space too!  Being tight, I'm planning to get there early and abandon the car in one of the country lanes and walk!  Take a picnic and get everything else from the pub on Saturday!

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

CD - Cheers for the offer, although there will be four of us.  I'll do a reccy on the day but if there's no televisuals for the finish I may be able to meet up with a mate* who lives in Ashtead.

*a.k.a. my B&B for the Ballbuster.  image

• I will be rushing to a friend who lives very close by to try and catch the finish

Anyone know what the situation with alcohol is and if you are allowed to take it in? I know all other olympic sites except Box Hill serve alcohol but BH doesnt... would be rubbish if they then stopped people from taking their own in!!

• I would have thought an ingenious man like yourself GB could get some booze in if required, there's always the old inject vodka into an orange gag if all else fails? If its G4S on security I reckon you could take what you like in!

I was wondering about heading down to the Zico Festival of Sport afterwards, in Mickleham (I think a few Priates are going to be there as well for the whole time) where I think there is a screen, and entry is free. failing that it's a 7 mile bike home in time for the finish hopefully.

http://www.ebdons.com/box-hill-festival-of-cycling/

I think there is a link on FB from their site to where you can print off tickets, failing that PM me and I can send you what I have, which I'm relying on being enough!

• Haha I am not that desperate for a drink to go to such lengths image Just a couple of cold beers would be nice.

Thats a great idea that... tickets have all gone now it seems, as of yesterday... do you have any spares (I think there will be 4 of us)... the thought of a few drinks there and the 50 mile ride home on main roads does not sound so appealing though!!

• GB, I would think the restriction on taking any liquids 100ml into any Olympic venue will apply.

• Cheerful Dave wrote (see)

GB, I would think the restriction on taking any liquids 100ml into any Olympic venue will apply.

I didn't know such a restritction exists?? Surely you are allowed to take bottles of water in... if not at other olympic sites then surely at Box Hill where you are standing out in the sun for upto 7 hours in the sun and no facilities to purchase water??

• GB: at other sites, no, not even bottles of water above 100ml although they do say you can take in empty bottles to fill with water that will be available.  There are a lot of marquees all over Box Hill right now so I would imagine that some of them will be selling refreshments.

I'd like to think that some sense would prevail at Box Hill, bearing in mind that there are no such restrictions on other parts of the course where you can get closer to the action, but I wouldn't be surprised if they've applied a blanket one-size-fits-all approach to all sites.  Gladys may have better information, he's the one with the ticket info!

• The official map is only showing food and drink at donkey green image

hmmm... I suppose we will see on Saturday. If I can't even take in a bottle of water it could be annoying and slightly stupid... it's not as if there are going to any water fountains around!

• Golden Boots wrote (see)

Haha I am not that desperate for a drink to go to such lengths image Just a couple of cold beers would be nice.

Thats a great idea that... tickets have all gone now it seems, as of yesterday... do you have any spares (I think there will be 4 of us)... the thought of a few drinks there and the 50 mile ride home on main roads does not sound so appealing though!!

Would it be wise of you to go drinking before cycling 50 odd miles?  Remember what happened last time!!  imageimage

• M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭
    He fell over or he pissed himself? I can't work out which you're referring to?
  • Ha! Ha!  Good point Mouse!!!  image

• M..o.use wrote (see)
    He fell over or he pissed himself? I can't work out which you're referring to?

I can't work out which time you're reffering to!

• I think I have some spare Zico tickets but need to do a count up between us and see what we need !!

• KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭

I think I will cycle across from Reigate Hill with my mate who is going to watch it ghetto style - if he is still my mate at the end of the day muahahahah image

• How did everyone get on?  I got to the bottom of the zig zag courtesy of a Dormouse Drive ticket from Gladys, only to be told it was full (eh?  It's ticket only!) and we all had to go up to Donkey Green instead, which was fab - good views of the riders, and a big screen as well.  Absolutely heaving but a great atmosphere, just like everywhere else I guess.

Yesterday we had tickets for the Mall, so after watching the start, we sat under umbrellas watching the race on the screen, and when the break got away we got a spot on the barriers 30m from the line as Lizzie came flashing past in second.  Really good despite the weather.

• KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭
    I also got a ticket thanks to Gladys. I spent a lot of the race where you got told to walk up and around to donkey green. I sat on the stairs that you go up to where they told you the rest was ticketed. I also spent some of the race in the middle of Dormouse Drive which I enjoyed even more apart from almost getting run over by Wiggo and the rest of the peloton lol. Was taking a picture and not expecting them to come so close to the edge. Then I watched the last lap down the bottom where I took this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tcfd-c4JCw&sns=em

Had an amazing amazing day.