Another hypothetical question

BookyBooky ✭✭✭

Why is it that men with substantially larger boobage than myself can walk around topless, yet if I did it, it would be seen as indecent?

Comments

• BookyBooky ✭✭✭

That's not really a hypothetical question. I changed the way I asked it and the title no longer makes sense. Oops. 

• Post some photos and will give you an opinion
  • This has come up before...  along the same lines as why women are comfortable about wearing a skimpy bikini yet scream if someone catches them in their bra and pants...

• image you want to see photos of fat, semi-naked men Dave???? Strange!!

• Yeah I can compare them to my mental image of Sarah
  • There's no specific law that makes it illegal for a woman to walk around topless. There's the offense of Outraging Public Decency (details here) which can include almost anything:

"Indecency is not confined to sexual indecency: indeed it is difficult to
    find any limit short of saying that it includes anything which an
    ordinary decent man or woman would find to be shocking, disgusting
    and revolting."

I doubt I'd find your boobage shocking, disgusting or revolting. Although I'm not sure I'm an ordinary decent man!

• BookyBooky ✭✭✭
    Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)
    Yeah I can compare them to my mental image of Sarah

Ok, let's repharse that to take focus away from my boobage to a random, unnamed woman...

I think if a woman did choose to go topless, she'd soon be attracting attention from people who would be outraged at her... display.

• Moobs are seem as the opposite of sexually exciting so its a different sort of offense

• ghost of kittenkat wrote (see)

What Maddy said, it's about the sexualisation bit. (Did I just make up a word?)

Only if you can drill wood with it

• Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSgwhel9DmhtHDpIAWYNLtHM45swXDm-NgzsnYd0om8mJGdMt-oyg

Though I'm really not quite sure why this would get you excited Intermanaut et al.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

I think sometimes it's hard what's 'respectable'. For me - if i'm going out where others will see me  -i'll not wear a bikini but if it's in the privacy of my garden - i would.... but others in my local area do not feel the same!

• camillia sinensis assamica mouse wrote (see)
    https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSgwhel9DmhtHDpIAWYNLtHM45swXDm-NgzsnYd0om8mJGdMt-oyg

Though I'm really not quite sure why this would get you excited Intermanaut et al.

Aaah, my eyes! Can't un-see the seen!

• If you go into public parks in Scandinavia and Germany you'll see women sunbathing topless. We're too prudish about it here. They're just lumps of fat for feeding babies, after all.

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

"If you go into public parks in Scandinavia and Germany you'll see women sunbathing topless."

This was something that struck me when I arrived in Germany as a young squaddie many years ago. It was a hot summer day and we decided to sunbathe at the local pond. Most the locals were stark naked so we did likewise to avoid sticking out (fnar fnar). There were lots of "lumps of fat for feeding babies" on view and I had to keep rolling over onto my front. The result was a badly sunburnt arse. I could hardly sit down for several days afterwards.

• I was being a little facetious about breasts, which are of course beautiful things... but they're perfectly natural. I can understand that women would fear being ogled, but I guess that happens in other places too.

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

The main purpose of breasts, though, is to be a behaviour control mechanism. Just point them at your bloke and he'll do whatever he's told.

• CheshercatCheshercat ✭✭✭

Great comment Muttley!

• skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    Emmy_bug wrote (see)

For me - if i'm going out where others will see me  -i'll not wear a bikini but if it's in the privacy of my garden - i would....

is that not the wrong way round?

i would have thought you would prefer to cover up by wearing a bikini when going out.

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    Dark Vader wrote (see)

This has come up before...  along the same lines as why women are comfortable about wearing a skimpy bikini yet scream if someone catches them in their bra and pants...

It's the context - I'll wear a bikini at a beach or swimming pool, but not at the shops.

If I was at home in my underwear, I would put some clothes on if someone knocked at the door.

If one of my male friends saw me in my underwear I wouldn't scream (nor would I if it were a stranger), but I would probably feel a bit uncomfortable because underwear is normally kept out of sight.

Most blokes wouldn't walk around the shops in their swimming trunks, and I think most would put some clothes on to answer the front door rather than do so in just their underpants.

• Sadly not all of them Wilkie.  I popped round to drop off some stuff for a client a few years ago and he answered the door in his undercrackers.  They were greying white saggy boxers.  He is a large sort of chap with ample boobage.  It was not a very pleasant end to the day image.  I find it hard to erase that image when he comes into the office now, the brain bleach doesn't seem to work.

• This has got me to thinking, I will happily wear a pair of shorts and lycra vest when out running but I would not wear them to go shopping in. At the same tip, the co op is close enough to the prom that I'd happily pop in for a bottle of water after a run. So whose to say that it's not wrong to pop in in my bikini for a bottle of water if I'm spending the day on the beach. ( I don't think I would)

Do we set the same standards foe children? There are plenty of young ones to be seen walking around in their swimsuit going to and from the beach while the adults are fully clothed.

Not that that has anything to do with moobs.

• BookyBooky ✭✭✭

Personally, I think it's the sexualisation issue. Female boobs generate a different reaction to male boobs. Typically phwoar! versus imageimage

And just as an aside - male + boobs = moobs

So why doesn't female + boobs = foobs?

• "Boob" is a 1950's shortening of "booby", which in the 1930's came from "bubby". Linguists aren't sure, but "bubby" may derive from the German "Bübbi" which means 'teat'.

Apprently accoring to some expert on Yahoo Answers

• Actaully just found another 'expert' sourse thatr says the same thing

• BookyBooky ✭✭✭

I googled it too - some of the results were not quite what I was looking for!

This is what I found:

"breasts," 1929, U.S. slang, probably from much older term boobies (late 17c.), related to 17c. bubby, perhaps ultimately from L. puppa, lit. "little girl," hence, in child-talk, "breast," or a natural formation in English (cf. Fr. poupe "teat," Ger. dial. Bubbi, etc.).

• BookyBooky ✭✭✭

I'm guessing that 'puppies' has a similar root?