Thursday 26th July 2012

alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Morning!
No apologies for being so early: have been posting elsewhere and suddenly realised the time. Apologies, however, for the lyrics: Cleo might enjoy them, but probably not the rest of you:
"Take your places
Can we fix it..."

What: will be another walk, perhaps with a few seconds running followed by stretching (I hope its not followed by too much pain).
Why: keen to be running but trying not to be silly.

Trust that the weather will be better today: hardly any sunshine yesterday, and even a few spots of rain.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.

Comments

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Tom. wrote (see)
    Evenin' all!

What : 6 miles easy plus 6x120m stride outs
    What: because I knew I was going to be knackered!
    Last Hard: everything seems to be hard at the moment
    Last rest: Mon 16th July

The stride outs were good, though pretty ungainly even allowing for the fact that this is the first time I've legged it for a couple of years. On the other hand the "easy" running was feeble. I've lost the ability to control my pace and also to anticipate the appropriate effort to deliver an on-pace run for a specified distance.

God knows how tomorrows planned 11.7M at 8:30 pace will turn out........

I imagine that reads "today's 11.7 miles" , Tom! Just go out for a long run and enjoy it! Too many variables at the moment to give a precise pace, not least the weather. Will post a longer reply later today, I hope.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Morning

Yesterdays lyrics:'Love of the common people' by Paul Young. Randomly chosen song, heard it quite recently.

Nope to todays.

What:5M Fartlek

Why: The usual Thurs session.

Saw a guy coming out of Glasgow Central Station yesterday at lunchtime, holding up and looking at a London Underground Mapimageimage !

The guy was obviously a visitor as he'd two big cases/bags. I thought 'You're not going to need that map here mate !'

Started reading 'Fire on the track' Harold Abrahams biography first.

Back later.

• Morning.

Hope the rest sorted whatever it was postie.

7d - it's warmest here between about 1600 - 1900hrs though today is forecast to be the last of the really hot stuff for now.

Tom - that is a big ask.

birkmyre - that made me laugh!

Wabo - glad you're having such a good time.

Pammie - which race?

Alex - sounds as though the training is going well - when is your next race?

Alehouse - hope your walk/run isn't pain inducing - and that you get some of the sun today.

What:                LSR
    Why:                 logistics/time - would be a good day for another ride really
    Last hard:          taking the rest day yesterday wasn't easy
    Last rest:           25/7

Lyrics - I think I do (should I admit that?).

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • LMH: I was trying not to laugh and thinking ' Mate, you're way off  !' image 

I saw a few USA and Franceteam  colours for Olympic Womens Football at Hampden yesterday in Glasgow City Centre

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Ale, I was going get get up nice and early to do lyrics this morning, but forgot... good job...

Another day younger here today, but working away so not happy.... home tonight.

2 rest days now till Thunder Run...

Take care

• Saw a guy coming out of Glasgow Central Station yesterday at lunchtime, holding up and looking at a London Underground Map

http://www.keyforex.info/g.gif

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Morning again!

Sun is just try to peak through the grey clouds.

Birks: I have read both books you have borrowed, with the Tarrant one much the more enjoyable for me, probably as I know quite a few people who either got a mention or knew him.

Birks,  again: I trust you didn't see too many South Korean flags near Hampden!

And talking of the Olympics, bumped into an ex-headteacher colleague last night: hadn't  seen her for a couple of years. Casually mentioned that her daughter was in the Women's baketball team and she currently plays professionally in Poland!

Tom:  hope you had an enjoyable LSR.

RFJ:  do I detect a birthday? Enjoy this evening when you are back home.

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Morning all.

Well today's the day, I'm going to try a run 30 sec walk 1 min test on the leg...fingers crossed.

Have had some good news job wise.  My current company is going to keep me on for 1.5 days a week working remotely.  This will possibly increase to 3.5 days a week, fingers crossed.  Taking some stress off the move as I was feeling pressured with trying to find something in Germany!

Birks  he he you made me laugh!

RFJ  happy birthday (I think!)

Ale  how was the run/walk?

I'll report in on mine after lunch image

Have a good day all.

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Emzap:  the walk and tiny bit of running will be this evening. Hope yours goes well...and great news on the job front!

• Told you it would work out emzap - great news.

Happy Birthday RFJ.

Well, that was longer and not quite as slow as expected and I arrived home to find £10 of vouchers for my local running shop - it would seem I was second old woman at the 10k last Friday! Was supposed to be meeting a friend for lunch or coffee but she's unwell so I shall make the most of the beautiful weather by taking the bike out for an hour or two - I expect it will be slow though!

• Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Afternoon

RFJ Happy Birthday

emzap best of luck

Alehouse you too

LMH Nice one enjoy the bike ride

no racing just the parkrun coming up then it'll be a spanish restaurant in the afternoon been invited to a friends dads birthday celebrations

Coming home this morning was a mild night i saw something cross the road slow moving as i got nearer realised it was a hedgehog a tiny one was lovely. Not seen one (alive) in a long time it stopped near the grass verge to allow me to look at it for a while as i passed

What: a few miles later

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    LMH: congrats on the vouchers.

Alehouse: good luck with tonight's "tiny bit of running"

Emzap: sounds promising on the employment front.

As for that "God knows how tomorrows planned 11.7M at 8:30 pace will turn out........". Well it turned into todays unplanned 11.2M, mainly because the 11.7M loop had the last 5 miles into a strongish wind, whilst the 11.2M got the windswept bit over at the start. Turned out as a decent run, first 7.8 miles at 8:25 pace and the last 3.4 miles at 7:56....so finally a stretch of sustained sub 8:00 running.

Rest day tomorrow followed by two weeks (away from home) of easy running, a bit of gentle fartlek, some strides and possible a parkrun.

Have a good day all.
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Sounds like a good run Tom

Pammy wow, it's unusual to see them not squashed!  What a treat image

So...14 min of run 30 sec walk 1 min.  Hip didn't feel too bad when out there, but am feeling the effects now.  I'm not sure whether it's coz I've had to adopt a new running posture, so it's putting pressure on the hip flexors, or, if the hip just isn't ready yet image  I have emailed the fizz, so awaiting her response!

• Thanks Tom. Are you happy with your run? It sounded as though you were being very prescriptive with your 11.7 miles at 8.30 pace.

Oh dear emzap - are you consciously trying to change your running posture?

Pleased that the legs gave me a good 35 miles on the bike after this morning's run. Maybe there's something in this rest day stuff?

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Tom: good running mate!

LMH: I'm a strong believer in rest days image

belated happy birthday RFJ

alehouse wrote (see)

Chick: medium long midweek runs seem to be a major building platform for a decent marathon.

totally agree, ale. P&D"s secret weapon image

Dustin wrote (see)

Chicka - Olympics start today!!  (girls football)

image one for Mr. chick then although he prefers women's beach volleyball image

emzap wrote (see

Have had some good news job wise.  My current company is going to keep me on for 1.5 days a week working remotely.  This will possibly increase to 3.5 days a week, fingers crossed.  Taking some stress off the move as I was feeling pressured with trying to find something in Germany!

fab news image

Little M.iss Happy wrote (see)

Well, that was longer and not quite as slow as expected and I arrived home to find £10 of vouchers for my local running shop - it would seem I was second old woman at the 10k last Friday! Was supposed to be meeting a friend for lunch or coffee but she's unwell so I shall make the most of the beautiful weather by taking the bike out for an hour or two - I expect it will be slow though!

what a lovely surprise, well done.

what: 5 miles easy + half hour swim
    why: recovery day
    last hard: Thurs
    last rest: 17/7
    lyrics: of course!

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Chick, not belated as was today... many thanks all

will be off line for a while from tomorrow as on Hols, back in a week or so.... image

• alex_halex_h ✭✭✭

Evening!

Happy Birthday RFJ! image Enjoy your hols!
    Emzap - Hope your running and hip settles down...I have every sympathy!!
    Tom - Sounds like a good run!!
    Pammie - I see the odd live one around here...the dogs go nuts for them!
    Alehouse - Hope your walk/run was OK and has minimal after-efects!
    Birkmyre - That is very funny!
    Chicka - That's some good recovery going on!!image when is your next event?
    LMH - Nothing booked for me at the moment...possibly a super-sprint at the end of September...follows the same course as my first tri at the beginning of May. I was going to do an Oly at the beginning of September, but wouldn't do it justice at the moment. Just going to spend a heck of a lot more time on the bike!! well done on your P2! Sounds like a good double day for you too!

What: 40 mins steady turbo
    Why: quest to become better at cycling
    Last hard: Saturday
    Last rest: Sunday

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Evening!

Tom: pleasing mid-week LSR then! (Was going to say something about being over-prescriptive and ditching the watch, but I won't!)

So...this evening: 1k warm up walk, stretches, then 8 x 100m ever-so-slooowly run, with stretches in between. Felt fine but the big question will, of course, be how things are in the morning.