Friday 27th July 2012

alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Morning!

Yesterday's lyrics were "Bob The Builder". Sorry!

Olympic Games Opening ceremony tonight: and I'm not remotely interested. Can't see that it has anything to do with sport at all! So the lyrics are definitely not Olympic related:

She came from Greece, she had a thirst for knowledge
She studied sculpture at Saint Martin's College

Birks had a similar title earlier in the week!

What: depends!
Why: firstly will need to see how Achilles and calf react in the morning. It is then a choice of exercise bike, walk or rest.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.

Comments

• Morning

4 Easy miles off road, felt sluggish

Ale: I had to think about what you meant re lyrics. I understand now,,

Good choice for todays lyrics;. I suppose if I can choose The Bay City Rollersimage, you can choose Bob The Builder image

Need to catch up

So will do so with coffee and toast.

• Glad you lot liked my sighting of guy with the London Underground map coming out of Glasgow Central Station on Wed

ale: That made me laugh too, the wrong Korean flag being shownimage

Saw some of French Olympic womans football team walking through Glasgow City Centre yesterday. None had a London Underground map

• RFJ: A belated Happy Birthday mateimage

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Morning all.

What: Animals inside out

Why: It looks amazing and it'll be the last chance to see it before the move!

Good news from physio.  She says as long as the pain doesn't last I can try again.

LMH Yes I am trying to change my running posture, need to protect my back.  Good work coming 2nd old lady (I'm sure you're not old!).

I'm quite intrigued by what the ceremony tonight is going to be like - will it be as appalling as our bit in the Bejing  closing one?!

Have a good day all.

• Morning.

And how is it today Alehouse?

Happy holidays RFJ.

Make sure you're monitoring that HR to get the most out of your time on the turbo Alex!

I'm feeling a little tired after the big day yesterday and am working so will be very sensible and just have a short swim this morning. A shame as this would seem to be the last warm day for a while.

What:               swim session
    Why:                need to keep my feel for the water
    Last hard:         20/7
    Last rest:          25/7

Lyrics - yes.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Morning gang. Lyrics yes.

What: 7m easy

Why: Enforced rest yesterday as switching to mornings because of the weather.

Last hard: 24/7

Last rest: 26/7

Anyone racing this weekend? I'm off to Bristol for leisure but hoping to fit 15-20m into a couple of sessions somehow.

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Morning!

Achilles/calf report: whilst obviously not quite right yesterday's "tiny bit of running" does not seem to have caused a set-back.

What: I think it will be the exercise bike.

Enjoy Bristol, 7D:  there's a parkrun there, too! And I hear that its one of the toughest!

Emzap: good news from phys, but I don't understand your what!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Thanks Emzap!

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

Morning all,
    If u haven't packed yet, belated birthday wishes RFJ & have a good break
    LMH - congrats on the voucher win, even if it was for the 'old girls'image
    Emz - enjoy !
    7D - enjoy Bristol, I like it down (over?) there...we have friends there, always nice to visit, some deceptive hills down by the estuary...

what - something easy
    why - knackered after 7m on Weds night and another 6 last night. Even going out at 9pm its still way to muggy!

All excited by the Olympics...really can't wait. Archery kicks off today too, at erm, the home of cricket!
    Brother called me earlier in the week, walked past two aussie Olympians in Tonbridge High Street, apparently they are encamped at Tonbridge school. Think he popped down to get some pole vault tips from Steve Hooker...(certainly wont be hairdressing tips)

lyric - yes I think so

• Morning all

I'm jumping in and out of here at the moment - please forgive me!.

Ale - Great to see a bit of improvement!! Do you have woodchip on the wall?

2k swim d&d

5 mile run later.

I've been concentrating on swim/bike/run training in the last few weeks to prepare for a few end of season Triathlons and have been enjoying it.

LMH - Tri training is hard - how do you find the balance when you are in this mode. Working hard on legs and breathing - might jump into the sea over the weekend.! 

Its great to see the Olympics starting - hopefully we will scrape a few medals - Boxing possibly with ladies boxing and Katie Taylor our best hope. We have a few dark horses elsewhere too (but none it seems in the stadium) Possibly a walking shoe-in.

However, personally I would love Radcliffe to finally get what she deserves - the soundings arent great though. It would be a travesty if the greatest womens distance runner of all time (IMO) didn't get an Olympic medal, preferably gold! Must be careful about Sunday week's morning training!! 

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Good morning

No run day for me......

Paddy: agree your sentiments re Paula R. Likewise Ron Clark, one of the all time greats (no 2 on my schoolboy faves behind Emil Z) never won an olympic gold, and was cruelly robbed of one, when the IOC disgracefully awarded the 1968 games to Mexico City. I read that his heart stopped as he lay on the infield after the 10000m final. Incidently in the same race Ron Hill who was also at his peak was also denied any fair chance of a medal.

Alehouse: fingers crossed on the achilles front, circumspection is the order of the day I think. (Note to self: what the hell do I know about circumspection!)

Emzap: Do you do any core stability stuff to help the back. I stretch every day - soleus, gastronemius (sic), hip flexors and pelvis alignment. It takes about 12 mins and it seems to hace an effect as now up to 900 injury free miles.

I'm up for the Olympics...the athletics and Triathlon, obviously. I suspect that I'll get drawn into other sportsas well....rowing, judo and cycling probably. Not to fussed about all the "hoopla', but there have been moments on the torch relay that have effected me. I saw a fantastic program the other day about three female GB weightlifters....absolutely riveting.

The real deadweight in the Olympics is of course the men's football. It really doesn't have any place here, though possibly if they have some success it could raise the profile of the womens game and that would be a good thing.
  • Good news Alehouse.

In what way Paddy? Tell me what you're finding difficult and I'll see if I've come up with a way round it.

Tom - did you see the Victoria Pendleton and Tom Daley programmes too? I really enjoyed them.

7d - the Bath to Bristol cycle path or the gorge provide some reasonable running - depends whereabouts in Bristol you're going to be (my In-laws live there)

I'm looking forward to the road race tomorrow. Echo the Paula comments though I'm afraid I'm not confident.

• LMH  - When I say Hard I dont mean Physically (although it is at times like training for anything else - If you know what I mean). What I find hard is striking the balance between Swimming/ Cycling and Running training. Currently I do 3 Cycles, 5 runs and 4 swims a week (some are doubled up "brick" sessions - one cycle/run and three swim/run). I feel that thats enough and indeed feel the efforts. The only casualty is my normal complete "rest day" which now is an "easy day". Working on swiming technique is also eating into my available training time (family & work commitments etc which I must maintain). Also getting open water swimming in can be time consuming)

• Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Evening

So busy today but now can relax and watch the opening ceromony  personally i love watching all the countries come in with their flags and so on

What 2.01 miles or 20:12 in time
    Why: Just because
    Last Hard: wednesday morning
    Lyrics with help of google

Bye for now  food and then you know what image

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Evening!

Exercise bike and a walk completed.

Re Olympics, yes, I'm up for it, and like Tom, athletics and triathlon, with a smattering of other events thrown in, like the rowing, swimming and so on. I'm quite a big hockey fan and have two lots of tickets: daughter has a friend in the GB team from when they both played at county level, and the women's captain is the daughter of one of my friends (unfortunately no tickets from those sources as for most event competitors are only allowed two for families and friends, which I thought was rather stingy. I'm also with Tom re men's football, and I would add tennis to that, too. The only thing I would say, though, is that my little 7 year old neighbour tells me he had a fantastic time at the footie last night: it looks like it was a far friendly atmposphere than the hostile environment of watching a premiership game. In this respect the Olympics can set a good example to other aspects of the game.

I also find it very difficult to watch cycling these days without a degree of concern as to how clean the sport is. I know this probably applies to other sports, sadly, but there have been too many high profile problems that have tarnished that particular sport, for me.

Paddy: wasn't quite sure why you asked about woodchip! Its Supaglypta (one up from Anaglypta) and I suspect tis holding the house together!

• Ale - Its got to do with the approved lyrics you published today;

Later in song - "her house was very small with woodchip on the wall"

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Paddy: thought you were referring to my worries about subsidence from earlier in the week! Just wondering if you have the right song! Please google and check!!

• Alehouse- right group, wrong song from Paddy.

Paddy - it sounds to me as though you're doing too much! I train for IM on around 12 hours per week average with peak weeks of 15 - 20 hours but much of that is made up of the long run and ride. Are you looking to train for HIM; IM or Oly? A typical weeks plan for me would be:

Sun:      long run
    Mon:      swim and short, easy run ( 30 minutes building to 45)
    Tues:     swim and turbo (intervals or threshold session)
    Weds:   swim
    Thurs:    hour run and turbo
    Fri:        rest day or 30 min easy run
    Sat:       long ride, couple of hours off to stiffen up, 30 minute run

My swims only work out like that as Weds is coached swim day - otherwise it would be long run day to split the two long sessions (time permitting this is considered less likely to induce injury). The rule of swimming is twice a week to maintain, three times to improve. Sessions don't need to be long - only one needs to total or exceed the distance you're going to swim in your race. In good weather I ditch a turbo (or both sometimes) to get more miles in on the bike - though this isn't really as valuable as focused turbo work. One of my runs may be on a hilly route in lieu of any speed work (cos I break easily). Because I'm not racing longer than a half this year my long bike is only 60 miles, when full distance training that will go up to regular 80's with a few longer rides. Longest run peaks at two and a half hours unless marathon training. Hope some of that helps. Anything specific please ask - I've read an awful lot of tri books and am on my second coach!