Options

Forum Alternative Olympics

Its safe to say that Usain Bolt won't fear my presence on the athletics track..    but... I am epicly good at two things...:

• making roast potatoes
  • drinking a pint of Guinness through a drinking straw

Both of these events are sadly missing from the London 2012 Olympics.

So.. I think we should have an alternative olympics option...   what would you do..?

I bet Usain is rubbish at both of these things........  

Comments

• Options

I won first prize at the village show for an embroidered baby blanket I'd made (no, I wasn't the only entrant), so I think I stand a chance at some sort of organised Handicraft event.
    (not necessarily speed based...) 

I'm also pretty good at saying exactly the wrong thing, so I suspect an event for "putting your foot in it" might be a good one.

• Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

My flapjacks are famous (in my running club, if not elsewhere!)

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@Wilkie - can you send me the recipe? image I'm looking for a good flapjack recipe!

I'm known for my cakes (especially my lemon crunch cake)... alternatively obsessive cleaning is probably not something that you'd want to be known for, is it? What about stubbornness?

• Options

I'm very good at sitting still - normally in my office chair for 4-8 hours a day.  

• Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

Flapjacks

Ingredients

• 150g unsalted butter, cut into cubes
    • 75g Light Brown Muscovado Sugar
    • 3 tbsp clear honey (or Golden Syrup)
    • 250g Porridge Oats
    • 170g of any dried fruit and/or chopped peel you like (or happen to have in your cupboard)
    • 50g Roasted Hazelnuts (or any other nuts you like)

Method

1.    Preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4. Place the butter, sugar and honey (or syrup) in a medium pan and heat gently, stirring occasionally, until the butter has melted and the sugar has dissolved.

2.    Remove from the heat and stir in the oats, dried fruit and nuts. Press the mixture into a lightly greased 30cm x 20cm x 4cm rectangular non-stick tin and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes, until golden brown.

3.    Allow to cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then score lightly with a knife into 12 bars. Leave to cool completely in the tin before removing. The flapjacks can be stored in an airtight container for up to 4 days (as if).

• Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

Blimey!  I'm really surprised that copied and pasted OK image

I use a potato masher to press the mixture into the tin.  If it's not pressed in firmly, it tends to fall apart when you cut it up.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Thanks for that Wilkie!

• Options

I always won the wheelbarrow race and am gutted that the one thing in life I have always excelled at is of no use to me whatsoever! 

I am making brownies with the kids today, and have just decided to give that flapjack recipe a try too at the same time - so thanks for sharing it!

• Options
    SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

My ginger cake seems to be very popular, and has even been mentioned in a race review on here.

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

- Flipping beer mats; 48 is my record.
    - Balancing things on my foot.  Ironing boards are surprisingly easy.
    - That champagne cork popping sound you do by pulling your finger out from the inside of your cheek.  I seem to have a very loud mouth cavity, so I'd challenge anyone to a proper decibel count on that one.

• Options

I'm so lazy if apathy was an olympic event I still couldn't bothered taking part

• Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

When I was a kid I used to be good at balancing a large pile of (big, old) pennies on my elbow, then whipping my arm down and catching the pennies.

I shall have a go at that later!

I'm pretty good at avoiding doing what I'm supposed to be doing and posting on the forum istead image

• Options
    • Drinking whisky
    • Eating cheese
    • Shopping
  • Options

aww...  some brilliant ideas here...   image

• Options
    SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

Ice cream eating

• Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

I'm very good at playing tunes with armpit farts. And real ones, come to that.

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    Dark Vader wrote (see)

aww...  some brilliant ideas here...   image

And most of them can be done in your local pub.  Not only would you save billions on venue construction, you'd still be leaving a lasting legacy for the local community.

• Options

I can play tunes on my nose - it sounds like a Hawaiian guitar. image

• Options
    Muttley wrote (see)

I'm very good at playing tunes with armpit farts. And real ones, come to that.

My brother & dad used to do this, in a duet. So there could be individual & team events.

Taking Phil's venue  - can I suggest that this took place in the pub garden? 

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    Helen Liz wrote (see)

Taking Phil's venue  - can I suggest that this took place in the pub garden? 

If we're doing the cheek-popping thing that should be done indoors because the acoustics are better.  I'm probably over-thinking this though.

• Options

In fact, do you want that event to be in the snug, rather than the lounge bar?

• Options

I'm good at eating.  End of.  I challenge any of you to a contest imageimageimage

I'm nicking that flapjack recipe, looks good.  I had a great one then lost it; this is v. similar image

• Options
    BookyBooky ✭✭✭

Baking. Cakes, biscuits, bread... not so good at eating it though, so I'd need volunteers image

I'm also very good at anagrams image

• Options
    BookyBooky ✭✭✭

I can also do this: 

/members/images/509622/Gallery/apple-peel.jpg

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    Lee the Pea wrote (see)

I'm good at eating.  End of.  I challenge any of you to a contest imageimageimage

Oh really now?  I had an audience when I took on the octuple eggburger challenge from Greasy's burger van back in 1989.  Then there's the 48oz steak from Arthur's in Hoboken, NJ.  That was a beast! 

• Options
    YoungPupYoungPup ✭✭✭
    I'm almost certain I've been to Arthur's in Hoboken image

I'm a zen master when it comes to the balancing games on wii fit, and reckon I could win many golds at a wii winter Olympics as well (my ski-jumping and speed slalom technique is pretty damn good)
  • Options
    loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭

im very good at chattering ten to the dozen..fab at childrens creative party food...and am extremely bendy/flexible, can do backbends, leg by my ear...should have a medal years ago for thatimage

• Options
    Wilkie wrote (see)

When I was a kid I used to be good at balancing a large pile of (big, old) pennies on my elbow, then whipping my arm down and catching the pennies.

I shall have a go at that later!

I'm pretty good at avoiding doing what I'm supposed to be doing and posting on the forum istead image

Wilkie.i totally forgot about that..........my kids have never done that.......i can see that being a good family evening...........better start saving my 2p piecesimage

i am good at drinking the maximum amount of diet coke cans in a dayimage

• Options

It's interesting how many of these are food related. what does that say about us as afletes?