Olympics Opening Ceremony

2»

Comments

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

What an odd opening ceremony. I got a lot of the cultural references or in-jokes (I think) that define what makes us British but there were several things I didn't get. Like an extended commercial for the NHS and some overlong song and dance routines. What was that social media and rap music routine about? And who turned Abide with Me into that dreadful dirge?

Other bits were self-consciously inclusive, to the point of incoherent.

So as a chronicle of the UK's history and society I'd say a B minus.

The bit I missed was the celebration of the UK's financial sector, its unstained reputation for integrity and fair dealing and how it's an engine for growth. Maybe that was when I was putting the kettle on.

• I don't mind admitting that I got entirely swept away by it and loved it (although macca deserves locking in a soundproofed room). Husbad kept saying things like "IBK quoting Shakespeare - that's a bit odd - and he's wearing the wrong style hat" but it wasn't a work of documentary, it was about capturing sprit and it certainly had tons of that. It was slightly bizzare in places and not always logical, but who cares - it was great and somehow quintisentially British - I can't think of another country who would have put on a show like that. 

And the torch at the end was completely worth staying up long past my bedtime for. 

• MartenkayMartenkay ✭✭✭

I watched until the athletes procession and Cambodia appeared - I could not remember seeing Belgium!  I went to bed as I had to get up early this morning because I am a runner. 

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    I thought it was 'ok'. It showed a very basic level of history but I think it stopped at the most vital point - the 80's and the destruction of our manufacturing industry. I'd like to see how Boyle would have handled that!

I stopped watching the parade after I kept losing on the countries that were mentioned.... So didn't see the shambles that Macca did.

I'm hearing this morning on Facebook that it wasn't a entirely peaceful night. 180 arrests of people cycling 'near' the Olympic park.... One of which was a friend of mine after finishing their shift in a supermarket - and was trying to get home. You can imagine that she wasn't best pleased!
  • Well Danny boy did us proud.

Favourite bits;

The family in the house sitting around with their card board 3d glasses on. I remember putting on my first pair early 80's, they came free with the Radio Times, or TV times. The quick blast of "My Boy Lollipop" I could imagine my mum and dad saying to us kids  " oh I remember that, we danced to that before you kids where born" The 2 secs of Kes that actually made me go "Oh!"

The inclusion of Berners-Lee was genius. Inventor of the www and all round smartbloke, in many ways this view of Britain was in part inspired by the way that all our histories are connected on the web. If you type "Britain" into Google and followed all the links I reckon you would get a simular view of this island as the one Mr Boyle put together. A view where past is mixed with present, to the mutual illumination of both .Shakepeare speaks from the mouth of a 19th Century engineer in celebration of big visions.Real nurses dance to celebrate health care, a small surburban red brick house is stuffed full of the black and the white the brown and the yellow kids who expect nothing else but to be free to fall in love to a rocking pop sountrack.

Made my heart go giddy up it did!

•     Be not afeard; the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices
        That, if I then had waked after long sleep,
        Will make me sleep again: and then, in dreaming,
        The clouds methought would open and show riches
        Ready to drop upon me that, when I waked,
        I cried to dream again.

• "I congratulate all of the athletes who have earned a place at these Games. And to the athletes, I offer this thought: Your talent, your dedication and commitment brought you here. Now you have a chance to become true Olympians. That honor is determined not by whether you win, but by how you compete. Character counts far more than medals.

Reject doping. Respect you opponents. Remember that you are all role models. If you do that, you will inspire a generation."

Jacques Rogge's speech and the way it was recieved was... well, inspirational.

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭

just watched the swimming tonight  and will be watching the running and marathon