Are you a Games Maker?

WombleWomble ✭✭✭
I did my first shift at Wimbledon today and it was fabulous. Only another 7 shifts to go and I've offered to do a shift on my day off. The atmosphere was fantastic. Loved the reaction of some people as they came through the gates.

Comments

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭

will be watching games on tv   thw swimming and running events

• SlugstaSlugsta ✭✭✭

Well done, Womble!

We did put our names down, several years ago. However, the logistics simply wouldn't have worked for us so we didn't follow it up. As it happens, that is a good thing as my health wouldn't have allowed me to do it anyway.

• Glad it's going well, Womble.  I too put my name down some time back, but then changed my e mail address so didn't get initial contact from organisers, then life the universe and everything got in the way.  Around London Bridge yesterday felt quite out of it not wearing some form of Olympic uniform.

• We both would have been. But got pissed off with having the piss taken !
  • my missus is and is loving it - although took some serious abuse from people today.  She was on ticket checking duty.  Some people are such fools - not turning up on the right day, at the wrong venue, etc etc and then blaming the games makers for their stupidity.  They are volunteers for goodness sakes.

Interesting how good the uniform looks when seen on masse and in the venue.  It looked a bit special needs when I first saw it!

• WombleWomble ✭✭✭
    Yes, I wasn't sure about the uniform but it's quite distinctive. Some of the paid staff are apparently envious of it!

Today I was mostly watching the rain at Wimbledon. As you say, some people do seem to leave their brains at home but most are lovely. I keep being told that someone famous has walked by but my tennis following days were a long time ago so the only person I'm likely to recognise is that Scottish bloke.

It's not going to rain tomorrow and UK will win some more medals image
  • Have a fantastic time taking part, Womble.

I also put my name down, filled in the application form, but decided not to take it any further due to difficulties with getting enough time off work at the moment.

I'm quite dissapointed not to be involved, though, and think it would have been a brilliant thing to do.

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)
    We both would have been. But got pissed off with having the piss taken !

My friend volunteered, was interviewed, told she'd definitely be doing something, went for a training day at Wembley (I think?  or the O2?), then heard nothing ever again.

• My OH was selscted as a chaperone for the anti doping team for both Triathlon and open water swimming

After 3 trips to London for training and attending the ITU Tri event last August she was told by email that she was in.... So she booked hotel in central London and arranged her leave etc, Only to be told at the end of May she wasn't required for those events and she was now down for 10 days at the aquatics center so could she rearrange all her plans !

I had one training trip to London was told I would be at the main centre at Stratford for 10 days so did all my arrangements, Early May they rang and said sorry, Don;t need you for the olympics, can you do 10 days at the paralympics instead !!!

Fraid with out losing a fortune on hotels we have already booked etc, no way.. So told LOCOG where they could stuff it..

Cost us a fortune in travel and hotels.....  Both feeling very bitter and used....

• WombleWomble ✭✭✭
    Today I was on No.1 Court which didn't seem terribly exciting. Our four matches all went to straight sets and it looked like we'd be finished early. Then they moved Switzerland v Japan from Court 2 to No.1. Chaos! People leaving as they thought they'd beat the rush for the end of the fourth match and then others rushing up from Court 2 where they'd been queuing for unreserved seats to a court where there's only reserved places...... I'd heard of the Federer chappy and he and his mate managed to beat the Japanese duo after losing the first set. Some people getting a bit unecessary as if it were our personal decision to move the match but, yet again, the vast majority happy and smiley.

Am I a bad person to prefer to look after spectators than watch the matches?
  • WombleWomble ✭✭✭
    Blimey, put a few 'big' games on a court and everyone and their mate tries to blag their way in! Centre Court today and rather busy.