Monday 30th July 2012

Morning

Todays lyrics:'All my troubles seemed so far away. Now it looks as though they're here to stay.'
What:4.5M Fartlek Dry. cool, no wind

Why: Usual Monday session

Sad for Paula Radcliffe. Looks like her best years were 2002-2003. Fantastic 10,000m in Munich to win 2002 European Championships Title, What a run that was.Then setting WRs in Marathon.

Back later.

Comments

• Morning.

Dry here at the moment but only because we're in between showers - we're forecast rain for every day this week.

I can't see Paula coming back and I don't think she should to be honest. I don't think she can regain her former form and she doesn't strike me as the kind of person who would be happy just to run.

Yesterday's lyrics were The Last Day of Summer by The Cure.

What:         not sure, probably just a swim
    Why:          I should have an easy day and I need to swim
    Last hard:   20/7
    Last rest:    25/7

Lyrics - yes.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Morning LMH

I think Paula will retire, think she 'hung on' for 2012 Olympics.

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

morning all,
    Like most of us, gutted for Paula, but think it was always on the cards.
    really enjoying the olympics, watched loads of the handball, and funnily enough the girls football (i, like Tom, see no real place for mens football..)
    just waiting for the gold rush to start!

been off here the weekend, but briefly:
    saturday 2.7miles with youngest over the fields to scare the sheep, followed by 5mile tempo
    sunday longest run of the past 5 weeks in sunshine, rain, sunshine, thunder, sunshine, massive downpour...16.25miles in a quite zippy 2h05, didnt think I was that sort of pace...
    today - 3 or 4 easy

have a lovely week

• I think that she should to be honest birkmyre. Just a shame she couldn't have gone out on a high.

Nice when you get a run like that Dustin.

I have communicated with coach and upshot is that today will now be a rest day. I had a really big week training wise for me last week, taking advantage of good weather and a lack of work, and for the last couple of days I've had a sore throat and swollen glands - which I've woken up with again this morning so I shall be resting and hoping to consolidate the good week of training rather than undoing it by making myself ill. It's not always easy to be sensible though is it?

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Morning all. Lyrics are a yes. Back from Bristol. Did 6M the morning before I left (didn't have time to get to a Parkrun) and 15M on the Bristol to Bath cycle path yesterday morning, which was really fun, and highly recommended to anyone in that area. Possibly best approached from the Bath side as the final third gets a little repetitive, combined with tiredness isn't the best of lifts.

Good run Dustin. Rest up LMH, do what you'd advise someone else to do, don't fight it!

Going to read back at work, now to enjoy and backtrack over the Olympics I missed!

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Morning!

Little M.iss Happy wrote (see)

It's not always easy to be sensible though is it?

What: rest
    Why: ask LMH! And don't ask about the Achilles or calf!
    Actually will do some exercise bike work and stretches. But no running.Eldest has texted me a pic of him at the Olympic Hockey on a fine sunny London morning (rain here and am due to go to cricket this evening!). Shall be at the hockey around this time next week.

And sorry but I can't get out of the tiny text!

Nice long runs Dustin and 7D.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Still pissed off for Radcliffe. She put everything into getting ready for 2012. Its a real shame. If its anything I have learned from running its that once you have a weak spot -  it'll will always find it. I think she is close to retirement from racing - although she will always run. I wonder if she might use the fitness for something in the Autumn. She has been my top runner for some time - only for luck to go against her at the worst of times. Maybe its better this way than agony on the side of the road next Sunday.

Anyway 2.6k swim d&d. Easy run later.

Dustin - nice long run

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Nice quote from Allison Curbishley yesterday re Paula: "The body grows old but the brain doesn't." Obviously she had me in mind, too! And others!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Morning

Dustin nice long run

LMH rest up

What: possibly about 4 miles
    Why: routine
    Last Hrd: Saturday
    Lyrics Definitely

• Tom.Tom. ✭✭✭
    Good morning

7D, I always make a point of running on the Bath-Bristol cycle path when I'm staying with my daughter (one of only two!). It's everso slightly downhill on the way back to Bath. The other nice run out of Bath is along the Avon Kennet canal in the other direction.

7 miles run this morning up to and around Willesden leisure centre. Easy run tomorrow with some strides. As I've said previously, my first effort at strides was very ungainly, though the second attempt was much smoother and I'm pretty sure they will help my running economy.

Lyrics...naturally
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Morning all.

What: another rest day

Why: no time, moving countdown started, 8 days till we go!

Hip feeling much much better, need to do another test run on it to see really.  Been doing sporadic stratching a core over the weekend.  Tom what stretches are you doing?

Shame about Paula.

Slightly hooked on the Olympics, not allowed to watch at work, so glued to live feed instead!

Pammie good parkrun, you'll get hooked, trust me!

LMH get well soon.

Have a good day all.

• Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

emzap - too late image i think i'm already am

Ended up doing 4.47 miles stop off halfway to pay bill

Dustin/Tom I'm with you on the football in the olympics (well at last the mens) Can i add Tennis into the mix as well

Back watching the Sailing i thought of Stickless Hope all is ok.

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Yes, where is stickless? Hope she's alright

Gutted for Paula image. Had hoped against hope that there would be a miracle but I reckon that's the Olympic boat missed then ...  by 2016 she will be too old.

LMH: that was a lot of biking image. Enjoy the rest day.

Dustin: great long run. Blimey, that was fast.

ale: I didn't find yesterday's MP too hard but I remember I struggled doing 8 @ MP 2 weeks ago. There's good days and bad days I reckon. Still, give me MP over intervals any day image

what: nowt
    why: first day back after a week off and the CNBA fairy rested on my pillow this morning
    last hard: Saturday
    last rest: see above
    lyrics: yes

• Afternoon

What 10 commute
    Why Took last week "off"
    Lyrics yes

Sad about Paula

Enjoyed watching the womans football as there doesn't seem to be any great expectation. Don't think I can bear  the mens though.

Fingers crossed for the 10K though

• Evening

Just walked Geordie for 45mins in cracking sunshineimage

alehouse; Great quote by Alison Curbishley. In my mind I'm still 'flying 'aged 21...